Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2018, 05:56 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by charperry View Post
According to what we have been told, the burden of proof is on us to prove when we left, how long we were on the road, and how fast we drove under what conditions.
Did you use a GPS or perhaps Google Maps. Some of them store a history. Google Maps timeline shows each date how far you traveled and how long it took you. May help with you proof.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2018, 12:33 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
2016 Lincoln MKX Transmission Failure Flat Towing

Ford has 2 different versions of the towing instructions for your car. The printed (PDF) version just tells you to run the engine for five minutes. The HTML version also has you run the engine and put the transmission (foot on brake) into drive and reverse before towing. The PDF version also references neutral tow mode while the HTML uses stay in neutral mode. I have a 2017 Fusion Sport, and my manuals show the same changes. I tried getting a real answer from Ford, but they were not very forthcoming.

It sounds like Ford added the requirement to run the transmission through drive and reverse for a reason, and if you followed the latest printed manual that may have contributed to the problem. That said, if the revised instructions were so critical, Ford should have sent out a notice to the owners and dealers.

I tried to get an explanation of the changes from Ford, and I have an email somewhere telling me to use the older instructions. Right now I run the engine, put it in drive and reverse, and then use neutral tow mode.

I’ve had problems with my Fusion (new cylinder heads and oil seal under warranty). I was not happy with the way Ford customer service handled that problem. It was in the shop three times for over a month in total.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 05:15 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with JPeterson. There should be a Zone office with a service person to authorize repairs. We towed our 2009 MKX for 3 years and i exceeded the speed limit most of the time. We never had a problem. I would stay on Ford and make them replace the transmission.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:57 PM   #18

OK, if FORD customer relations has denied warranty coverage it time to get their attention. The first thing you will have to do is get an attorney to file a "lemon law" letter to FORD Motor Co notifying them of your intent to proceed with lemon law litigation. Second your selling dealer that has the vehicle now will need to officially inspect the vehicle and determine the cause of failure. This "you must have done something wrong" BS won't fly in court. It is FORD's legal responsibility to determine how you damaged the transmission, and notify you IN WRITING of their findings. Then you have the right to have your own expert examine the transmission to verify or dispute their findings.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:07 PM   #19

We have a 2014 Ford Edge 4X2 FWD. A friend who is a seasoned Ford transmission ( certified) technician told me the worst thing you could do is flat tow. We ended up with a dolly which was not my first choice. I'll have to live with it for awhile.
Old 06-16-2018, 06:41 AM   #20

Car dealerships are independent franchises. Dealerships are not owned by the vehicle manufacturer and the people that work in a dealership are not employees of the manufacturer.

They do not write the warranty. They perform warranty work and then charge the manufacturer for this work. The manufacturer has a predetermined price that it will pay the dealer for every warranty claim. A non-warranty repair is paid by the customer and not regulated by the manufacturer.

It is most important that if a dealership denies a warranty claim that you call the manufacturer and work with them directly. There are many problems with dealerships and warranty - manufacturers have a department for this.
JPeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 10:01 AM   #21

Quote:
We have just had a catastrophic transmission failure while flat towing our 2016 Lincoln MKX. Ford has refused to cover it under warranty. Has anyone else had a similar situation?
I hate to hear that about your Lincoln and hope that the outcome is in your favor.

So far, we have towed our '17 MKX about 6,000 miles over that last year with 8,300 of driving miles on the odometer (14,300 rolling miles).

I usually drive/tow between 55-65 mph. I have, at times, rolled up over 70 mph down long hills (but not often).

Good luck and safe travels,
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 10:08 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimer1 View Post
We have a 2014 Ford Edge 4X2 FWD. A friend who is a seasoned Ford transmission ( certified) technician told me the worst thing you could do is flat tow. We ended up with a dolly which was not my first choice. I'll have to live with it for awhile.
I totally believe that your certified technician believes that it's the worst thing to tow four down.

The evidence is just not there. You would hear a major uproar on every RV site stating transmission failures and you just don't hear it.

We towed two different Honda CR-V's ('07, '13) four down totaling over 100,000 miles with not one transmission towing issue. My brother has towed his '08 Jeep Liberty for 40,000+ miles four down and no issues (still has it).

I think this is a rare occasion.

Safe travels,
Mark
Old 06-16-2018, 10:10 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Prior to flat towing our 2015 Explorer I got on the Ford chat line and asked if it was OK to do so.

They told me to start the engine every time we stopped and run it through Drive and Reverse, and there should be no problem.

I asked them to put it in writing and they replied that it's right in the handbook, and it is, and then they also sent me an email confirming it.

I would have the transmission repaired, keeping all the parts, and with a good record of what's done, and then engage a lawyer. That way you have your vehicle back and still can pursue them.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 10:10 AM   #24

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
According to what we have been told, the burden of proof is on us to prove when we left, how long we were on the road, and how fast we drove under what conditions.
Wrong info. It's up to Ford to tear the trans down and prove you did something wrong. Get hold of your states Consumer Protection office.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 10:12 AM   #25

Quote:
Just how do they expect you to prove that? They don't since they know it's almost impossible.
Maybe they should have to prove they serviced the transmission properly during manufacture. You can't check it because it's sealed and doesn't have a dipstick.
I don't think the Lemon Law will apply here but you certainly should have a case in civil court if Ford doesn't step up to the plate.
JohnH12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 11:38 AM   #26

Quote:
We have just had a catastrophic transmission failure while flat towing our 2016 Lincoln MKX. Ford has refused to cover it under warranty. Has anyone else had a similar situation?
Are you sure your model is flat-towable? Only certain drivelines can be according to the various Ford literature.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 12:59 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Mark View Post
I totally believe that your certified technician believes that it's the worst thing to tow four down.

The evidence is just not there. You would hear a major uproar on every RV site stating transmission failures and you just don't hear it.

We towed two different Honda CR-V's ('07, '13) four down totaling over 100,000 miles with not one transmission towing issue. My brother has towed his '08 Jeep Liberty for 40,000+ miles four down and no issues (still has it).

I think this is a rare occasion.

Safe travels,
Mark

Mr. Mark I can only express what was said about the 2014 Ford Edge FWD. The other manufactures I have no knowledge off.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:22 PM   #28

Oldtimer,

I didn't realize that he was talking just about your vehicle. Reading before we bought our 'Ford product', there were no alarm bells going off.

Hope that you NEVER have an ounce of trouble!

Safe travels,
Mark

Tags
tow, towing, transmission