Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2016, 09:09 PM   #1

2016 Tahoe

I just bought a new 2016 Tahoe in 4 wheel drive and have some questions on towing.

After hooking the Tahoe up to the RV via a blue ox tow system how do I put the transfer case into neutral?

I doesn't seem that the steering locks, this is good, is that true?

I have a switch to disconnect the ground in place, tail lights have been wired with relays. Air Force breaking system installed from the Jeep I used to tow.

Any do's and don'ts I should be aware of?
Mojo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2016, 09:36 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Did it come with a manual? There should be instructions in there for towing, specifically setting the transfer case.

The steering shouldn't lock. Otherwise the wheels wouldn't turn & you'd end up dragging it. Probably should check the manual for those instructions as well.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 04:45 AM   #3

Mojo 13, you must follow the directions precisely in your owners manual. I have a 2015 Canyon and experienced some issues with the transfer case going into and out of neutral. Once the software was updated, it seems to work fine. Also, your steering wheel needs to be unlocked with key in accy/or run position. Additionally, my negative battery cable must be disconnected.
Old 02-19-2016, 03:05 PM   #4

Ok
I will do some more research
Old 02-19-2016, 06:03 PM   #5

It tells you in the manual how to put tcase in neutral but you have to look in a couple places to find it. On my 2015 GMC pickup this is the drill. Engine running, Park brake on, tcase control in 2hi, with foot on brake and trans in neutral hold tcase control fully to the right until n lights up and stops flashing, then put in D, then in R then turn off engine, then put in park, turn off engine, start engine, put in D, turn off engine put in Park. Disconnect neg battery cable, turn key to run position and release park brake. After rconnecting battery cable when you get where your going it asks you to open and close driver window. With engine running, park brake on, put in N, then tcase control to 2hi and yer good to go. It will probably stink as road grime collects on vehicle and gets burned off when first driven after towing. I always look in mirror to be sure wheels are turning and not locked up and turns with mh. Sounds like a long process but only takes a couple minutes to do this.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 06:51 PM   #6

Mojo,
In my manual the direction where wrong. Had to go online and find the right sequence to get the transfer case in neutral.

Once Transfer case is in neutral the key goes in the off position, gear shift in park.

Try gmtotalconnect.com
Good To Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:31 PM   #7

Does the key off not lock the steering on a Tahoe ? We had a 2015 Yukon Denali and it had push button so maybe no steering lock ?
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:50 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Many new vehicles do not lock the steering wheel - they have alternative Anti-theft devices (usually some form of electronically disabling ignition). If your key has a chip in it, or you have the keyless ignition, it won't have a mechanical steering wheel lock.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 08:28 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Many new vehicles do not lock the steering wheel - they have alternative Anti-theft devices (usually some form of electronically disabling ignition). If your key has a chip in it, or you have the keyless ignition, it won't have a mechanical steering wheel lock.
Careful this is not always true, I have a 2015 vehicle with a keyless ignition and the steering wheel locks. From my understanding there is a fuse I would need to pull to disable it, I have not looked into because it is not towable flat or on a dolly per the manufacture. Just besure to double check is all I am saying.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:59 AM   #10

Thanks everyone
Today is the day to test the towing. I will document what happens.
Old 02-27-2016, 08:21 AM   #11

Last weekend was a bust. Could not get the car in neutral. I am thinking I will go see my local Chevy dealer, there is a guy there that has been helpful over the years.
Old 02-27-2016, 04:17 PM   #12

Sorry to hear you were not able to get into neutral. On my first tow, I had a couple of attempts to get it into neutral, and once I got to Florida it would not come out of neutral. They towed it to a local GMC dealer who updated software on trucks computer and it works fine. We have not towed again, so we are one for one right now! Hope this works out for you. I know your frustration.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:52 AM   #13

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo13 View Post
Last weekend was a bust. Could not get the car in neutral. I am thinking I will go see my local Chevy dealer, there is a guy there that has been helpful over the years.
How did you make out?

We are looking at the new 2016 Tahoe and read that certain models can not be flat towed due to the type of transfer case and it not having a neutral setting.
ejm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 05:05 AM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just bought a '16 also so following this thread also
trimacon is offline   Reply With Quote