Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2016, 06:42 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
2017 Enclave and Acadia

I see GM is announcing the 2017 models. Seems to be some upgrades, especially transmissions and transfer cases (??) in AWD vehicles. They talk about a new twin clutch system. Anyone know if 4 down towing will still be available? These newer trannies don't tend to compatible to towing. And, I get the feeling the manufacturers don't want to state that the vehicles are towable four down therefore not taking the liability for damage. I tow a 2010 Enclave and I love it. Thinking of buying new. The 2016 Enclave Owners Manual does give specific instructions for four down towing. I'm thinking a 2016 model (now with 0% - 5 year) might be one of the last four down compatible vehicles! It will be interesting what the future brings!
bertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2016, 06:44 PM   #2

Appalachian Campers
Heartland RV Club
Send a message via Yahoo to cbramsey
Test drove a 2016 FWD Enclave. Not too bad. Wife and I were looking for AWD. Disappointed the sales weasel.
2015 Ford F450 Platinum DRW , 2017 Heartland Landmark 365 Charleston Me, Wife, "Canines" Lucy [Chihuahua/Jack Russell Terrier mix] & Fawn [Chihuahua] and “Felines” Pixel & Pollux [Manx], Iris, Pepper & Max [DSH], Mystique [DLH]
cbramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 11:23 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Test drove a 2016 FWD Enclave. Not too bad. Wife and I were looking for AWD. Disappointed the sales weasel
So get one with AWD instead. Both AWD and FWD are available.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 11:25 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
They talk about a new twin clutch system.
I didn't think the twin clutch (sort of an automatic stick shift) applied to Acadia and its sisters. But the drivetrain in the 2017, especially the 4 cylinder model, is different so I would ask to verify via the owner manual. The new Acadia is a smaller vehicle than its predecessor, so can't assume all the same.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 03:47 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
According to the 2017 Buick Enclave Owners Manual on their website
"
Dinghy Towing
If the vehicle is front-wheel-drive, it
can be dinghy towed from the front.
These vehicles may also be towed
by putting the front wheels on a
dolly. See the information on dolly
towing later in this section.
If the vehicle is all-wheel-drive, it
can be dinghy towed from the front.
These vehicles can also be towed
by placing them on a platform trailer
with all four wheels off of the
ground. These vehicles cannot be
towed using a dolly."

There you have it, straight from the horses mouth

Old 12-08-2016, 07:40 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
2017 acadia towables

From the 2017 acadia (not the limited).

Either vehicle is towable 4 wheel down - or on a full trailer. The AWD can not be towed using a dolly.

Owners manual does NOT state anything about removing fuses like in previous years but does state that you have to ''press and hold a manual release button down by the shift knob" after lifting up the boot.

Has anybody bought and set up for towing a 2017 Acadia - not the limited?
Old 12-08-2016, 07:55 PM   #7

Rumour is a complete redesign is scheduled for both the Chevrolet Equinox and GMC Terrain for the 2018 model year.

I know they're both smaller than Chevrolet Traverse or GMC Acadia or Buick Enclave, but that's why I just bought a 2017 GMC Terrain before yet another AUTOMATIC transmission vehicle falls off the list as being flat towable.

Gone recently over the last few years...
Ford Escape (when they were squarer)
Honda CRV (since 2015)
Chevrolet Malibu (since early 2016)
Saturns (brand dropped 2009)
Some Pontiacs (brand dropped 2009)
I'm sure there's others.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 08:29 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Rumour is a complete redesign is scheduled for both the Chevrolet Equinox and GMC Terrain for the 2018 model year.
Rumor has it that the 2018 Terrain & the Equinox will be on the same platform as the new 2017 Buick Envision which can be towed 4 down.

I have been test driving the 2017 GMC Acadia & other cars to tow 4 down. With the new smaller 2017 Acadia you have to bull the boot of the center console every time & reach in with a screwdriver to turn a screw to put it in neutral to tow 4 down. WHAT A PAIN, & how long with that trim piece on the boot last?

So I figured I just tow our Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland that can be towed 4 down.

But while I was there test driving both the Buick &the GMC, I drove the new smaller Buick Envision. Really liked the way it drove & what it had to offer. So I bought the Envision to set up to tow & we really like it.
StuartS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 05:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartS View Post
Rumor has it that the 2018 Terrain & the Equinox will be on the same platform as the new 2017 Buick Envision which can be towed 4 down.

I have been test driving the 2017 GMC Acadia & other cars to tow 4 down. With the new smaller 2017 Acadia you have to bull the boot of the center console every time & reach in with a screwdriver to turn a screw to put it in neutral to tow 4 down. WHAT A PAIN, & how long with that trim piece on the boot last?

So I figured I just tow our Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland that can be towed 4 down.

But while I was there test driving both the Buick &the GMC, I drove the new smaller Buick Envision. Really liked the way it drove & what it had to offer. So I bought the Envision to set up to tow & we really like it.
Also looking. Any clarification if the AWD version of the Envision is 4 down towable. Resisting the Equinox/Terrain twins due to age, but at least their 2017 online owners manual explicitly states both FWD and AWD are four down towable. However, the Envision owner's manual just states 4 down towable but doesn't state FWD or AWD like Chevy/GMC does. Kudos to GM for having an actual "Recreational Towing" section in their manuals so don't have to interpolate in the break down/commercial towing section like on most imports.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:49 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tizeye View Post
the Envision owner's manual just states 4 down towable but doesn't state FWD or AWD
I was able to get a clear answer on the FWD. The dealers seem to think only the AWD, but the owners manual & on line doesn't say that.

3 Buick dealer told me only the AWD but I'm not so sure that is correct.

It didn't matter to me as I was only interested in the 2.0 motor & the 2.0 is only available in AWD. I went with the 2.0 Premium AWD.
Old 12-14-2016, 02:50 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
2017 Enclave and Acadia

I just took a closer look at the Buick. The owners manual says the transmission needs to be in neutral and two fuses need to be pulled to save the battery. There is no stated speed limit and no requirement to run the engine every 6 hours so towing setup sounds simple, especially if you run a battery charge line and don't have to pull the fuses.

The vehicle is made in China. There's no reason why the Chinese can't make a quality product, but it may be caught in any upcoming trade wars.

I'm also looking at the Ford Fusion sport. It's lighter and a lot more fun to drive.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 03:18 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightstorm View Post
I just took a closer look at the Buick. The owners manual says the transmission needs to be in neutral and two fuses need to be pulled to save the battery. There is no stated speed limit and no requirement to run the engine every 6 hours so towing setup sounds simple, especially if you run a battery charge line and don't have to pull the fuses.

The vehicle is made in China. There's no reason why the Chinese can't make a quality product, but it may be caught in any upcoming trade wars.

I'm also looking at the Ford Fusion sport. It's lighter and a lot more fun to drive.

I know the Envision is made in a new plant in China but there are quite a few cars coming out of this new section of China that is turning out some very high quality cars (I'll leave the politics out of it). This is a joint venture between Buick & China & the factory is owned by Buick who has always been very big in China.

As for the 2 fuses - I rather put a fuses disconnect button to match in one of the factory openings on the dash rather than go with the charge wire. I have heard too many stories about the charge wires solenoid failing.
Just put in neutral, push the fuse disconnect button & go.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:00 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightstorm View Post
If you're interested in a SUV and "sport" try the new Ford Edge Sport. 2.7L, twin turbo, towable 4 down....
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 07:46 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm trying to keep the toad weight under 4,000 lbs. Anything over that cuts into my GVWR if I want to stay within the chassis specs (F53). The fusion sport appears to be 800 lbs lighter.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote