Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2016, 08:10 PM   #1

2017 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock for road

Just purchased our first MH and looking for a toad that will also be my daily driver. Anyone towing this vehicle? Pros cons?
Nmdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2016, 08:17 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Awesome choice!
TOAD #1 2016 Jeep Rubicon
TOAD #2 1983 Jeep CJ7
Digz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 10:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmdoyle View Post
Just purchased our first MH and looking for a toad that will also be my daily driver. Anyone towing this vehicle? Pros cons?
Nmdoyle,
I answered you on the "Ridicules" thread. The Hard Edition is some bells and whistles that really does nothing for you in terms of anything of real value. Yes, you'll get a fancy hood, some different bumpers, some "red" tow hooks and a couple of the dash buttons are Red. It's a matter of choice. If you like what you see, then by all means go for it. You only live once. (James Bond lives twice)

Anyway, one thing that many, many people do that purchase Rubies and Hard Rock editions, including me (twice), is sell those dumb-a$$ MUD terrain tires that Jeep seems to think all Rubi owners need. There are dozens and dozens of them for sale in C/L and other places. While they're not too bad when BRAND NEW, they will shortly develop some cupping and, wear problems. About 99.99% of them do as they age some. If you plan on taking your new Jeep Rubi in the mud, then you'll be happy as, there's really no better tire.

It's all up to you and what you think you'll like. I changed ours in less than a week after purchase and, talk about a seriously quieter and smoother ride. Have fun when you get your new toy.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 04:56 AM   #4

Thanks! The very thing I liked about the HR edition was the hood and the big tires...lol.
Nmdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 09:08 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I changed my tires the first week also! Sold them on Craigslist
TOAD #1 2016 Jeep Rubicon
TOAD #2 1983 Jeep CJ7
Digz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:13 AM   #6

I bought a 2014 and built a rock crawler, so tires, bumpers, rock rails, and other things came off. Any way you look at it Jeeps make a great toad.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digz View Post
I changed my tires the first week also! Sold them on Craigslist
So did I - to put on larger ones
Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 05:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Nmdoyle,
I answered you on the "Ridicules" thread. The Hard Edition is some bells and whistles that really does nothing for you in terms of anything of real value. Yes, you'll get a fancy hood, some different bumpers, some "red" tow hooks and a couple of the dash buttons are Red. It's a matter of choice. If you like what you see, then by all means go for it. You only live once. (James Bond lives twice)

Anyway, one thing that many, many people do that purchase Rubies and Hard Rock editions, including me (twice), is sell those dumb-a$$ MUD terrain tires that Jeep seems to think all Rubi owners need. There are dozens and dozens of them for sale in C/L and other places. While they're not too bad when BRAND NEW, they will shortly develop some cupping and, wear problems. About 99.99% of them do as they age some. If you plan on taking your new Jeep Rubi in the mud, then you'll be happy as, there's really no better tire.

It's all up to you and what you think you'll like. I changed ours in less than a week after purchase and, talk about a seriously quieter and smoother ride. Have fun when you get your new toy.
Scott
Scott,
Would you mind giving some information on your choice of tire and wheel replacements?

Just purchased a 2016 and would like something similar.
I'm also a Havasupian
Jimjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 08:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjensen View Post
Scott,
Would you mind giving some information on your choice of tire and wheel replacements?

Just purchased a 2016 and would like something similar.
I'm also a Havasupian
Hey Jimjensen,
Well, not to distract from the OPs original intent of this thread, this type of info does apply based on the type of vehicles and how they're equipped and, the fact that they're being considered for a daily driver. I'll make this short. The ad/link below, represents the EXACT SET of tires and wheels the OP of this thread is going to get on his HR edition.

2016 17" Jeep JK Rubicon Wrangler X Wheels and BF Goodrich tires NEW!!

As I stated earlier and in many other posts, there are dozens and dozens of these sets of tires and wheels for sale, on a constant basis when folks buy either new or used Jeep Rubicons or Hard Rock editions, and don't want or need this type of tire. It's real simple, MUD tires are for MUD, PERIOD.

Just how many folks that purchase either brand new or, moderately used Rubis or Hardrocks, delve into mud, recreationally, I suspect is very, very minuscule. So, if a person likes them for what ever reason, then by all means, keep them and enjoy them.

But, for us that have no thought or, ever plan to enter the mud zone, we want nice, quiet and effective tires for our Rubis. And the answer is, ALL TERRAINS. There's a zillion opinions on tires, types, sizes, effects, wear patterns, terrain specific, and a whole lot more.

But, in general, All Terrains are made by just about any leading manufacturer. The ones I chose are Hancook. I chose them because, I've been running them on my GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab for about 2.5 years now and they are still ultra quiet, have outstanding traction and are wearing flawlessly. I outfitted my last Jeep with them and sold it. I wanted the same outstanding performance/quietness/handling/road manors/off road manors and more, for this new Jeep.

So, to answer your question, (sorry it took so long), I chose the Hancook Dynapro 315 70 17 (D-rated) All Terrains and, they're mounted on American Racing Hanson Off Road, 17"x 8" x 4.25" back spaced wheels. That combo is to us, an outstanding setup, looks great, rides very, very smooth and comfortable, has the same manors as the truck, very quiet, and with some regular rotations, I'm pretty sure I'll get in the neighborhood of around 40K miles or so, maybe more, hard to predict for a Jeep that will experience some mild to moderate off roading every once in a while.

The factory Rubi and Hardrock wheels have a 6" back spacing. That means, (if you don't know) that the wheels are really tucked into the fender wells. They do that so that there's absolutely no possible chance of contact between the 255 75 17 B.F. Goodrich Mud terrains and any portion of any fender or any other part of those fenderwells while off roading and extreme articulation.

But, if just about any larger tires are placed onto the factory wheels, you run the potential chance of having contact with the inside of the larger tires with certain components during full turns and full articulation. It all depends on just how large you go, up from the 255 size that's factory. So, hence the reason for a wheel change and, the back spacing I chose. The smaller the number for back spacing, the farther the wheel sticks out from it's mounting position on the hub.

As far as what wheels, wow, a person could type for pages and pages on that one. Ours are pictured below. What each individual sees in a wheel design is just that, individual. So, here's what I'd do if I were you. I'd cruise on into Discount Tires website and, look up wheels for your Jeep. They have an application that, once you choose a set of wheels, you input your particular Jeep, EVEN THE COLOR, and, you'll see just what those wheels look like on your Jeep.

I hope I've answered you accurately and, I most certainly apologize to the OP for any deviation from his original topic although, like stated, I think this info would apply to his thoughts too.
Scott

Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 08:15 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Nmdoyle

I have towed my 2012 Rubicon since new. Great toad. One of the easiest vehicles built to tow and it is still built rugged. I have occasionally misjudged a turn when towing behind my 45 footer and drug that Jeep over curbs or a rock and it still keeps going.

Some advice about tires. When I first got my Jeep I lifted it 2.5 inches with a RockKrawler lift kit then searched for 35 in tires. I wanted Offroad type tires that handled well on pavement and were easy to balance (search balancing on Jeep forums). I bought 35 inch Nitto Trail Grapplers MT. My god were those tires noisy. They handled fine but after 30,000 miles I cried uncle and threw them away (they still looked new but got noisier as age went). I recently replaced them with the newly released BFG Terrain KO/2 tires. I love those tires. They look aggressive, handle well, and are as quiet as the stock tires. They are available in sizes from the ones that fick the stock rims up to 37 inch rims. Great daily driver tire with trail capability. IMHO
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote