RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:50 AM   #1

2017 Kia Soul toad wiring

I have a new 2017 Kia Soul manual that I'm setting up for flat towing. I don't like the idea of splicing in to the factory wiring. So I'm considering two solutions.
1) Installing an extra bulb to the tail light assembly.
2) Using a plug and play harness that is made for trailing towing but customizing it with diodes to prevent feedback.

Either solution doesn't give the same light operation as the toads own lighting.
I would like the lights to work the same whether driven or towed.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks
Tmalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2017, 08:48 AM   #2

I did cut into mine but I also have a trailer towing plug for a small boat I tow. I found the diode approach works well and I have a plug in the front of the car that runs back to the input side of the diode setup. Car drives and lights normally whether the car is being towed, I am simply driving or I am towing a trailer.

I would prefer the diode approach as I don't like drilling into the rear light assembly. They are very expensive to replace later should you need to for some reason. If you have a plug in the rear where the harness goes into the wiring, than I would think you can make a plug and play diode arrangement. I didn't have that in my car and had to cut the wires. What made matters worse was the same color wire was used for the two rear tail lights as the license light and side lights so cutting was a game of Russian Roulette and I missed a couple of times and had to re-splice the wires in the car.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 12:12 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Tmalin-

A link for you:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/wiri...ml#post1124744

When I could not find a plug-and-play for our Element, I considered making my own, using diodes and Honda connectors. Sometimes the connectors and pins are available and not that expensive.

If you find that doesn't work for your Kia, you can buy a diode-based "tow vehicle" harness AND a trailer tow harness. Strip the connectors (with their wires) off the trailer harness and butt-splice them into the "tow vehicle" harness.

Of course, if you're comfortable doing that, you may as well build your own harness, because there's nothing magic about (almost all of) the pre-made "tow vehicle" harnesses. (I say "almost all of" because a few of them contain electronic circuits that provide functions in addition to just that of the diodes).

Anyway, read Scott's post (the link I provided at the top), and then you'll have some ideas.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:41 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmalin View Post
I have a new 2017 Kia Soul manual that I'm setting up for flat towing. I don't like the idea of splicing in to the factory wiring. So I'm considering two solutions.
1) Installing an extra bulb to the tail light assembly.
2) Using a plug and play harness that is made for trailing towing but customizing it with diodes to prevent feedback.

Either solution doesn't give the same light operation as the toads own lighting.
I would like the lights to work the same whether driven or towed.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks
You will find the tail light wires extremely small and hard to work with and if you install a bulb in the tail lights and use a toad brake system that uses the car brake pedal the car brake lights will cover up your signal light . What I used For my tow lights was two Peterson V426KR tail and turn signal round lights and theywill fit in the round holes where the red reflectors are, there are quite a few post on information on rigging a Soul up on this forum.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 06:13 PM   #5

I'm in the process of flat towing a 2017 base Kia Soul 6 speed manual trans and need some info. What tow bar company are you using? Also Kia says you can't tow this car four down although there are many that are?? Any help you can give me would be appreciated
Old 07-28-2017, 07:10 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I use and like Roadmaster brackets , I was able to install on our Kia with hardly any trimming, I would go with the 522115-5 EZ5 bracket set because you do not need the heavy duty X bar with the light Kia. I will past a link to Roadmaster click on the camera to the left on the link to see the kit break down.

Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories

I do have the TSB on the 2014 and 15 Soul that states that it is approved for towing and I am pretty sure your Soul is also. If the FMCA has it listed in their approved tow list you can bet it is. I will Clip the TSB at the end. I also added OEM cruse for under $80
2014 Soul Base Add Cruise Control
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0451.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	233.9 KB
ID:	170561   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0450.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	239.0 KB
ID:	170562  

Click image for larger version