Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2019, 09:09 AM   #1

2017 Prius ok on tow dolly?

I own a 2017 Toyota Prius V and am wondering if anyone else tow dollies their Prius? The manual shows tow truck towing front wheels off the ground but also says dollying is not good. I don’t understand the contradiction. It is front wheel drive but hybrid so I don’t know if there is a reason that would make it a problem on a dolly. Looking for answers.
RG0403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2019, 09:47 AM   #2

welcome to iRV2.

I'm not sure , but it could be that the distance and speed that would be involved in emergency tow truck towing, compared to that of towing with your RV is the factor.
Even the tow truck towing is suspect and most companies now require their drivers to dolly the rears , to avoid any damage claims , also part of the reason you'll see so many " deck " tow trucks.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:57 AM   #3

I see tons of Prius' being towed on dollies. The only concern is whether you have locking steering. If you do, then you'll need to ensure that you have the proper tow dolly (one that has a pivot point, or leave the car in accessory mode if the dolly has no pivot. This will require you to have a charge line to keep the battery charged, or disconnect the battery with a switch.
Roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 02:10 PM   #4

We towed our Prius over 3,000 miles this summer on dolly with no problems.
rogerl1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 04:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerl1016 View Post
We towed our Prius over 3,000 miles this summer on dolly with no problems.
Thank you for the reply. What year is your Prius? Not sure that would make a difference of any kind just trying to cover all bases.
Old 09-19-2019, 05:12 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
We towed our Prius on a Master Tow dolly. The front of the car is low, so I used two boards to help when loading it.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 05:40 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
2017 Prius ok on tow dolly?

I think the only problem with the Prius, the same as my volt , is the lower air dam on the front scrapes the ramps. I bought an “American tow dolly” that sits lower and has no problems with the front scraping the ramps as you drive up them. Enjoy !
Old 09-20-2019, 04:52 AM   #8

The Prius that we towed is a 2010. We towed it on an Acme dolly.
rogerl1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:30 PM   #9

We tow a 2010 on a Demco. 2X10 boards under the ramps cures the front spoiler drag. I put 1/2 inch eye bolts thru the frame near the front and shorter safety chains for easier hooking and unhooking.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:29 AM   #10

Thank you all for the posts. I will be looking for a dolly for the Prius. Are there any tricks to the towing process. Such as key on or off. Steering locked or not? Battery disconnected or a specific fuse to pull. I read all kinds of stuff pertaining to all of these kind of things. I drive a semi for a living so towing mechanics are not an issue. Just all the weird stuff of safely attaching the car without damage.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:19 AM   #11

Get a dolly with a swivel pan for the front tires to sit in, and leave the key off, in your pocket and the steering locked, if it locks.

Demco makes a dolly with steering wheels, MasterTow, StehlTow, American Car Dolly and all but one brand use swivel plates so the car can turn.

Only Acme depends on your front tires to do the steering.

Rather then use safety chains to some part under the car, get some vinyl coated cable and thread it thru each front wheel, clamping one end and snap hooking them on the other.

Dollys with built in ramps and tilt bed save the placing and removing/storing dirty ramps.

Standard 14", ST tires are avalable everywhere. Little special tires, not so much.

Surge brakes don't need a brake controller or wiring to the dash. They already have a break away system in them.
With electric brakes and no breakaway battery and switch, your car and dolly may pass you, if it disconnects.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly