Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2017, 08:09 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
FYI: The estimate from a local RV dealer to purchase and install the Blue Ox base plate and wiring kit for my 2017 Jeep Sahara was $1095.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2017, 09:26 AM   #16
SLS

Newmar Owners Club
2014 Wangler towed over 60k w/Roadmaster brakets and tow bar, no issues.
I did not use Roadmaster wire kit. It sucks with connectors, diodes, etc...buy from etrailer a plug and play wire kit that is easy and simple to install.
No issues with the above.
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 09:52 AM   #17

I have a DV8 front bumper and here is how I tow mine.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170420_121955.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	626.1 KB
ID:	166100  
BlueCyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 03:27 PM   #18

I have an LoD front bumper and it added only about 50 pounds. They now have the option of making a front bumper with or w/o a winch spot. I am getting ready to replace the rear bumper with an LoD. Someone crushed the factory rear while I was in the hardware store. Luckily a homeless guy wrote down his license plate number.
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 08:33 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirodad View Post
I just had a Blue Ox base plate, along with the wiring kit installed on my 2017 Jeep Sahara.

Do you by chance have the part # of the items you installed? I'm getting ready to install on a 2016 Sport Unlimited. Thanks.
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 08:40 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
My aluminum Rock Hard is lighter than a stock bumper
[ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0056.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	166250  
Old 06-24-2017, 08:42 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Go to Blue Ox.com to verify:
BX1126 Jeep Wrangler/Wrangler Unlimited (JK) (All Models w/ Standard Bumper)
Fit Years: 2007-2017
Tabs: removable
IR: 2Weight: 32lbs
Tab Height: 14.5"
Tab Width: 24"
Wiring Kit Options: BX8869 Bulb and Socket Tail Light Wiring Kit BX88285 EZ Light Wiring Harness
Old 06-25-2017, 05:33 AM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Les et. al. Rockard bumper

On our 2014 JKU I went with the Rockhard Full Width Steel Bumper with the bolt on tabs for the Blue Ox.

I bought ours directly from Rockhard, asked for and received a 10% discount as a Veteran and free shipping as a senior. Yes the bumper was still a bit more than the tow plate, but I could easily install it myself so at the end of the day the hit for the bumper was just slightly more. Hook up to the Entegra is so easy and safety chains go to the D rings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by les.warden View Post
Fire up, could you elaborate on any "don't break the bank" bumper solutions or throw up a link for investigating? I'm taking delivery of a 2016 Wrangler Sport Unlimited today and will be towing behind out MH. Thanks.
Old 06-25-2017, 06:21 AM   #23

I installed the Roadmaster on our 2016 Wrangler myself with help from my son since we already had the tow bar setup from our previous MH. Found a nearly new used one on Craigslist for $250 with all the hardware. Just had to glue a piece of metal coat hanger on two of the bolt plates to do the install (if you're familiar with install directions you'll understand). To say this setup is not strong is absurd.

Our Jeep is a boulevard princess that I also use for commuting so the bumper swap, big tires and lift kits are not of interest to us. Did have to buy Roadmaster's six inch drop hitch to keep the setup geometry within the +/- three inch level spec with our Super C's receiver.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:41 AM   #24

A bumper is one way to go but does cost a bit. I use the Currie tow plate.

https://smile.amazon.com/Currie-Ente...rrie+tow+plate

Can't even tell it's there and didn't cost an arm and a leg either. Pretty easy to install but the 2017 JK does require a little cutting that's easily done with a common hack saw.
Old 07-09-2017, 06:40 PM   #25

I have a 2016 Wrangler with a Rock Hard front bumper installed configured with the Blue Ox tow bar connectors. I assume I should just attach the safety chains to the standard D-rings but all the D-rings I see just have a screw-in bolt to hold it in place. I can see this is sufficient when it is temporarily used to winch myself out of a hole but I have a real concern about the bolt getting loose and falling out driving down the road. What do people do to secure this bolt?
greg246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:48 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg246 View Post
I have a 2016 Wrangler with a Rock Hard front bumper installed configured with the Blue Ox tow bar connectors. I assume I should just attach the safety chains to the standard D-rings but all the D-rings I see just have a screw-in bolt to hold it in place. I can see this is sufficient when it is temporarily used to winch myself out of a hole but I have a real concern about the bolt getting loose and falling out driving down the road. What do people do to secure this bolt?

I have had my D rings on the same Rock Hard bumper little over a year and the bolts have not moved. You could add a little blue loctite or put a safety wire in if concerned.
Old 07-09-2017, 06:52 PM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
If you really want them to hold, use RED loctite. Requires heat to loosen.
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 07:19 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
A bumper is one way to go but does cost a bit. I use the Currie tow plate.

https://smile.amazon.com/Currie-Ente...rrie+tow+plate

Can't even tell it's there and didn't cost an arm and a leg either. Pretty easy to install but the 2017 JK does require a little cutting that's easily done with a common hack saw.
Another vote for the Currie Enterprises plate. Simple to install (if you have a grinder and cutoff wheel), lightweight and unobtrusive. Oh yeah, it's also the least expensive option out there. We also went with the NSA Ready Brute Elite using Blue Ox clevis ends to mate to the CE plate. That setup gives you an all terrain tow bar and brake solution for the cost of some of the competitors tow bar alone!
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote