Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2020, 07:09 AM   #1

2018-2020 Chevy Equinox as Towed Vehicle

Hello all: We have been full-timing for 20 years and have towed a Saturn with our 36' Winnebago Journey up till now - our 2007 is at the end of its usefulness as a toad. We have been looking at Chevy Equinoxes 2018-2019, but now are checking out 2020s. All have different towing requirements that we are checking carefully. Any opinions on the Equinox as a toad? We've heard good things so far. We would really appreciate your comments. Thank you in Advance!!
TerrFLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2020, 08:23 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I understand that you are looking at 2018-2020 Equinox's. I'll just pass along what we have found with ours to give you some information to ask the right questions of the knowledgable people.

We tow a 2012 Equinox. This is what we have found with ours. The battery would drain down on a long day of towing. I fixed this by adding a charge line to the battery from the MH. The other issue we have had on occasion is the "wobble" that would happen at unpredictable intervals. Chevrolet was made aware of this problem and attempted to correct it. The issue was on the 4-cylinder model, the 6-cylinder version did not have that problem. According to Chevrolet, the 4-cylinder model has EPS (electronic power steering). The 6-cylinder does not have that system. They may have changed that on the newer models, I have not heard.

Chevrolet came up with procedures for towing that was supposed to eliminate the "wobble". The method was to pull certain fuses to unpowered components while the ignition switch was in the ACC position, which was the position for proper towing. The procedure was changed several times while they were trying to address the underlying cause of the "wobble". I can not attest to the effectiveness of any of the fuse pulling.

I personally do not pull any fuses and since I have installed the charge line, I have not had any "wobble" or dead battery. I do not know if the charge line had anything to do with correcting the problem or not. It just works for me. Some people have installed a by-pass switch to shut off power to the fuse(s) that Chevrolet says to pull. I think this would be a good and handy thing to do as it would eliminate the nuisance of pulling and replacing the suspected fuses. Just my opinion.

The car tows great and the hook-up is easy. Check each year and model that you are considering. Look in the owner's manual under "Recreational Towing" to verify if that model is towable, 4 vs 6 cylinder, 2 vs AWD versions. They may all be the same, but verify it by reading the manual. Do not take the salesman's word as fact. Read and understand the procedure for towing 4-down in each model's handbook.
rvbiker45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 08:52 AM   #3

Thank you so much for you response. We are on our way to a Chevy Dealer - so we do appreciate your timely reply.
Old 10-08-2020, 09:00 AM   #4
NXR

• The 2018-2020 Equinox's do not need any fuse pulled, unlike the 2017 and earlier models.

• There were a few engine/transmission combinations on the 2018 that were not flat towable; I think one was the 2018 2.0L/9-speed. There are no restrictions for the 2019 or 2020 model years as I recall. As RVBIKER45 noted, you must confirm in the Owner's Manual.

• The speed limit for towing is 65 MPH.

• With the Premier you will have LED lights so you must use a diode pack instead of the separate tail light bulb. Some people with the separate bulb think it's not as bright as the car's lights, for whatever that's worth.

• The Equinox pulls almost 8 amps out of the battery when configured for towing. That's a lot of current. A battery charge line is mandatory and be certain to use wire that's heavy enough from the 6-pin connector for the charge line. If you're an RVi fan, the RVi Towed Battery Charger will not work on an Equinox because the Equinox has an AGM "maintenance-free" battery.

• The Equinox requires that you run the engine for five minutes before towing and "at each fuel stop" as well as for a few minutes at the end of the day. That's kind of an odd requirement because it does not state miles or hours.

There is a second restriction about not installing any type of "rock shield" on the car itself that could interfere with the air flow across and through the car because it's required for transmission cooling. I believe the intent of the "at each fuel stop" requirement is to circulate transmission fluid so there are no hot spots after the cooling air stops. So I also run the car for five minutes at rest areas as well. Open the door, step on the brake, push the button, let it run for five minutes, and with your foot off the brake, push the button once to stop the engine. No need to move the gearshift or anything else. (No, I have not been stuck in non-moving traffic for an hour yet.)

I tow a 2020 Equinox Premier AWD with the 2.0L engine and 9-speed transmission. I bought it used otherwise I would not have bought AWD. AWD towing brings a few more potential complications.
  • AWD on the 2018-2020 Equinox is switchable, meaning you push a button, you hear some whirring and the AWD light comes on. Turning AWD off seems to give about 2 or 3 MPG more. I usually leave AWD off.

• In order to tow an AWD Equinox you must have AWD engaged. If AWD will not engage you cannot flat tow the car. So I always turn AWD on a day or two before we're towing to assure it engages and so I have time to get it fixed if it doesn't.

• Additionally, for an AWD car all tires must be the same size. If you have to install the "donut" spare tire you cannot engage AWD because all tires need to be the same size or you will have drivetrain damage. So if you have a flat while towing, you're disconnecting and driving the car separately until you can get an original size tire back on or that one repaired.

• Lastly, for almost any car with AWD, if you need to replace one tire you almost always need to replace all four tires regardless of their condition because all tires must be very closely matched in size. (Some companies like Tire Rack actually will "shave" your new tire down to the same size as your other three but that invalidates the tire warranty.) https://tires.tirerack.com/tires/Tir...ving%20Service

Whew, eh?

We're very happy with towing the Equinox. I use a Roadmaster Nighthawk non-binding tow bar, the Demco Stay-IN-Play DUO permanently installed supplemental braking system with their optional CoachLink wireless display, and the Demco tabless baseplate.

I watched the Etrailer install videos for the Equinox for the Roadmaster, Blue Ox, and Demco baseplates.
  • The Blue Ox baseplate was the only baseplate that did not pick up additional structure for securing the baseplate. It just bolts to some thin flanges and uses safety cables as a backup.

• The Roadmaster baseplate bolts to the same thin flanges as the Blue Ox and also picks up a subframe bolt on each side for additional strength but does not come with safety cables.

• The Demco tabless baseplate bolts to the same thin flanges as the other two but has a 1/4" steel plate secured behind the impact beam ("bumper") as well for additional strength. The Demco comes with safety cables also.
I chose the Demco but had significant fit problems detailed in another thread. Demco came through with modified parts for me and it all worked out.

With the Demco "tabless baseplate", the baseplate adapters actually get bolted directly to the tow bar, where other tow bars have a clevis. That removes one step from the process for connecting and disconnecting. I also had to buy the Roadmaster Stowmaster tow bar cover because the Nighthawk cover no longer fit due to the additional length from the permanently-installed adapters.

Knowing what I know now I would have selected the Roadmaster baseplate and bought their optional safety cables. A buddy installed the Roadmaster and had no fit problems. Demco never could give me a definitive answer as to why I had the fit problems but they had to build custom parts for me (no charge and got them out overnight) and apparently for others.

So all in all, the car tows great and with the setup I have it truly is maybe five to ten minutes to connect or disconnect.

HTH,

Ray
Old 10-08-2020, 09:09 AM   #5
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbiker45 View Post
Chevrolet came up with procedures for towing that was supposed to eliminate the "wobble". The method was to pull certain fuses to unpowered components while the ignition switch was in the ACC position, which was the position for proper towing. The procedure was changed several times while they were trying to address the underlying cause of the "wobble". I can not attest to the effectiveness of any of the fuse pulling.
The change in which fuse to pull is in the attached PDF. The fuse that Chevrolet originally wanted pulled caused the wobble issue because it negatively affected the "return to center" function of the electric steering at low speeds. That's why it is no longer pulled.

The fuse they now recommend be pulled on the 2010-2017 kills the anti-lock brakes.

FWIW,

Ray
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Equinox Terrain revised flat towing.pdf (17.9 KB, 90 views)
Old 10-09-2020, 07:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
With the Premier you will have LED lights so you must use a diode pack instead of the separate tail light bulb. Some people with the separate bulb think it's not as bright as the car's lights, for whatever that's worth.

The Equinox pulls almost 8 amps out of the battery when configured for towing. That's a lot of current. A battery charge line is mandatory and be certain to use wire that's heavy enough from the 6-pin connector for the charge line. If you're an RVi fan, the RVi Towed Battery Charger will not work on an Equinox because the Equinox has an AGM "maintenance-free" battery.
Thank you, Ray, for your comprehensive answer. We bought a 2019 Chevy Equinox Premier with the 2.0 Turbo engine and Front Wheel Drive - so we will avoid the problems with the AWD.

Our big concern is the possibility of draining the battery. A fellow RVer (who is much more knowledgeable) had a similar issue with a 2018 Ford Edge. He went to eTrailer and bought an LED Tow Bar Light kit (specify year, make & model). That eliminated having to rely on the wiring harness. Our debate (before we even pick up the car) is whether to go ahead and have the wiring harness put in as a backup - hopefully we won't need it with the wireless Tow Bar Light. He loves it and it reduces his hookup time a lot.

Since we already have Blue Ox on the RV (parts have been replaced since installed), we will go with the Blue Ox base plate. Since we're not doing much traveling right now, we are not in a rush to have it done till we're sure what we need to do.
Old 10-09-2020, 07:23 AM   #7

Quote:
We're very happy with towing the Equinox. I use a Roadmaster Nighthawk non-binding tow bar, the Demco Stay-IN-Play DUO permanently installed supplemental braking system with their optional CoachLink wireless display, and the Demco tabless baseplate.

I watched the Etrailer install videos for the Equinox for the Roadmaster, Blue Ox, and Demco baseplates.

The Blue Ox baseplate was the only baseplate that did not pick up additional structure for securing the baseplate. It just bolts to some thin flanges and uses safety cables as a backup.
Ray
Thanks Again, Ray. We always use the safety cables, but that's an interesting piece of information about the Blue Ox baseplate. We will watch the video!
Old 10-09-2020, 07:56 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrFLA View Post
Thank you, Ray, for your comprehensive answer. We bought a 2019 Chevy Equinox Premier with the 2.0 Turbo engine and Front Wheel Drive - so we will avoid the problems with the AWD.

Our big concern is the possibility of draining the battery. A fellow RVer (who is much more knowledgeable) had a similar issue with a 2018 Ford Edge. He went to eTrailer and bought an LED Tow Bar Light kit (specify year, make & model). That eliminated having to rely on the wiring harness. Our debate (before we even pick up the car) is whether to go ahead and have the wiring harness put in as a backup - hopefully we won't need it with the wireless Tow Bar Light. He loves it and it reduces his hookup time a lot.

Since we already have Blue Ox on the RV (parts have been replaced since installed), we will go with the Blue Ox base plate. Since we're not doing much traveling right now, we are not in a rush to have it done till we're sure what we need to do.
We tow a 2019 premier with Airforce One brake, Blue Ox tow bar and base plate. The equinox set up is very simple which is one of the reasons we got it.

I believe you will still need a charge line with the wireless tow lights. When set up to tow the car will still draw power from the battery.

The only problem we have had with our set up is the battery went dead because the charge line was not installed properly.
Beach Livin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 11:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Livin View Post
We tow a 2019 premier with Airforce One brake, Blue Ox tow bar and base plate. The equinox set up is very simple which is one of the reasons we got it.

I believe you will still need a charge line with the wireless tow lights. When set up to tow the car will still draw power from the battery.

The only problem we have had with our set up is the battery went dead because the charge line was not installed properly.
Thank you for your response. We need to replace our Brake Buddy anyway. They advertise a "Towed Vehicle Battery Maintainer" for $40. Has anyone used one of these? Seems as though it might solve that problem.
Old 10-09-2020, 12:19 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
  • The 2018-2020 Equinox's do not need any fuse pulled, unlike the 2017 and earlier models.

• There were a few engine/transmission combinations on the 2018 that were not flat towable; I think one was the 2018 2.0L/9-speed. There are no restrictions for the 2019 or 2020 model years as I recall. As RVBIKER45 noted, you must confirm in the Owner's Manual.

• The speed limit for towing is 65 MPH.

• With the Premier you will have LED lights so you must use a diode pack instead of the separate tail light bulb. Some people with the separate bulb think it's not as bright as the car's lights, for whatever that's worth.

• The Equinox pulls almost 8 amps out of the battery when configured for towing. That's a lot of current. A battery charge line is mandatory and be certain to use wire that's heavy enough from the 6-pin connector for the charge line. If you're an RVi fan, the RVi Towed Battery Charger will not work on an Equinox because the Equinox has an AGM "maintenance-free" battery.

• The Equinox requires that you run the engine for five minutes before towing and "at each fuel stop" as well as for a few minutes at the end of the day. That's kind of an odd requirement because it does not state miles or hours.

There is a second restriction about not installing any type of "rock shield" on the car itself that could interfere with the air flow across and through the car because it's required for transmission cooling. I believe the intent of the "at each fuel stop" requirement is to circulate transmission fluid so there are no hot spots after the cooling air stops. So I also run the car for five minutes at rest areas as well. Open the door, step on the brake, push the button, let it run for five minutes, and with your foot off the brake, push the button once to stop the engine. No need to move the gearshift or anything else. (No, I have not been stuck in non-moving traffic for an hour yet.)

I tow a 2020 Equinox Premier AWD with the 2.0L engine and 9-speed transmission. I bought it used otherwise I would not have bought AWD. AWD towing brings a few more potential complications.
  • AWD on the 2018-2020 Equinox is switchable, meaning you push a button, you hear some whirring and the AWD light comes on. Turning AWD off seems to give about 2 or 3 MPG more. I usually leave AWD off.

• In order to tow an AWD Equinox you must have AWD engaged. If AWD will not engage you cannot flat tow the car. So I always turn AWD on a day or two before we're towing to assure it engages and so I have time to get it fixed if it doesn't.

• Additionally, for an AWD car all tires must be the same size. If you have to install the "donut" spare tire you cannot engage AWD because all tires need to be the same size or you will have drivetrain damage. So if you have a flat while towing, you're disconnecting and driving the car separately until you can get an original size tire back on or that one repaired.

• Lastly, for almost any car with AWD, if you need to replace one tire you almost always need to replace all four tires regardless of their condition because all tires must be very closely matched in size. (Some companies like Tire Rack actually will "shave" your new tire down to the same size as your other three but that invalidates the tire warranty.) https://tires.tirerack.com/tires/Tir...ving%20Service

Whew, eh?

• The Blue Ox baseplate was the only baseplate that did not pick up additional structure for securing the baseplate. It just bolts to some thin flanges and uses safety cables as a backup.

• The Roadmaster baseplate bolts to the same thin flanges as the Blue Ox and also picks up a subframe bolt on each side for additional strength but does not come with safety cables.

• The Demco tabless baseplate bolts to the same thin flanges as the other two but has a 1/4" steel plate secured behind the impact beam ("bumper") as well for additional strength. The Demco comes with safety cables also.
I chose the Demco but had significant fit problems detailed in another thread. Demco came through with modified parts for me and it all worked out.

With the Demco "tabless baseplate", the baseplate adapters actually get bolted directly to the tow bar, where other tow bars have a clevis. That removes one step from the process for connecting and disconnecting. I also had to buy the Roadmaster Stowmaster tow bar cover because the Nighthawk cover no longer fit due to the additional length from the permanently-installed adapters.

Knowing what I know now I would have selected the Roadmaster baseplate and bought their optional safety cables. A buddy installed the Roadmaster and had no fit problems. Demco never could give me a definitive answer as to why I had the fit problems but they had to build custom parts for me (no charge and got them out overnight) and apparently for others.

So all in all, the car tows great and with the setup I have it truly is maybe five to ten minutes to connect or disconnect.

HTH,

Ray
We love our Equinox. Thanks for all that info. It covers a lot of things I hadn't thought about
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 04:04 PM   #11
NXR

Quote:
Thank you for your response. We need to replace our Brake Buddy anyway. They advertise a "Towed Vehicle Battery Maintainer" for $40. Has anyone used one of these? Seems as though it might solve that problem.
The Equinox pulls a ton of power from the battery when configured for towing, far more than other cars. If this is the description of the one you're looking at:

The BrakeBuddy 39332 Battery Maintainer keeps your vehicle's battery charged while being towed behind your motorhome.

Battery Maintainer sends a trickle charge of 2 amps to the towed vehicle battery.

Includes (1) 72-inch 16 AWG red wire, and (1) 12-inch 16 AWG black wire.

No, it absolutely will not. The Equinox pulls about 8 amps from the battery when configured for towing. That thing provides 25% of the needed power. In addition its wiring size is too small for an Equinox.

That's why I mentioned that the RVi Towed Battery Charger also would not work. It's supposed to provide 10 amps but people with an Equinox would get maybe 3 or 4 amps and were ending up with dead or ruined batteries with just a few hours of towing. For whatever reason, the RVi charger will not work properly with maintenance-free AGM car batteries, which are very common.

Right now I'm just charging directly off the motorhome and the battery stays charged.

Also, the car's lights have nothing to do with the amount of current the car pulls from the battery.

Ray
Old 10-09-2020, 04:07 PM   #12
NXR

Quote:
We always use the safety cables, but that's an interesting piece of information about the Blue Ox baseplate. We will watch the video!
Different safety cables.

The ones I mentioned wrap around the baseplate itself and also around the car's frame. They get installed at the same time as the baseplate and if you have someone else do the installation you may never even know they're there.

If the baseplate tears loose from the car then those safety cables will keep the baseplate loosely attached to the car and thus to the motorhome.

Ray
Old 10-09-2020, 04:14 PM   #13
NXR

Quote:
A friend pulls a 2019 Equinox in the LT trim with the 2.0L and loves it.

He installed the Roadmaster baseplate, the extra tail light bulb kit, the Demco Stay-IN-Play DUO braking system, and uses a Roadmaster Nighthawk tow bar.

The non-LED tail light cars have enough room in the housing for an extra bulb. The kit he got (Roadmaster?) from Etrailer installs a separate LED lamp in the existing tail light housing for use by the motorhome.

But if the 2019 Premier is like the 2020 Premier and you have LED lights then you need to cut into the car's tail light wiring and install diode packs because there's not enough room to install that extra bulb. It's not a big deal and wasn't hard to do

Or use the magnetic lights you're talking about. Me, I prefer to take the time once up front to install everything so I don't have to do it later each time.

Ray
Old 10-10-2020, 08:08 AM   #14

Quote:
The Equinox pulls a ton of power from the battery when configured for towing, far more than other cars. If this is the description of the one you're looking at:

The BrakeBuddy 39332 Battery Maintainer keeps your vehicle's battery charged while being towed behind your motorhome.

Battery Maintainer sends a trickle charge of 2 amps to the towed vehicle battery.

Includes (1) 72-inch 16 AWG red wire, and (1) 12-inch 16 AWG black wire.

No, it absolutely will not. The Equinox pulls about 8 amps from the battery when configured for towing. That thing provides 25% of the needed power. In addition its wiring size is too small for an Equinox.

Ray
Thanks again for all the responses. Ray, you have been extremely helpful and it much appreciated. We are not in a hurry to have the work done (as in ASAP), but need to do something within a few weeks. Here's the Battery Maintainer (BB54FR) we are looking at on eTrailer.com:

"Maintains the battery charge on your towed vehicle while it is being flat towed. Uses up to 15 amps from your RV's battery. LED indicator illuminates when charging."

That's all we have to go on for the moment. Do you think it may not deliver the 8 amps needed? For now its under consideration. We also prefer to "fix it one time" if we can so as not to have to set it up every time.

eTrailer also shows a Roadmaster Battery Charge Line Kit for Towed Vehicles (Item # RM-156-25) - that sounds like what we would need to charge directly off the motorhome to keep the battery charged as Ray does.

Terry

Tags
chevy, tow