Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2018, 09:42 AM   #127

Tiffin Owners Club
JT-RV,
Thank you. Your procedure mirrors my own. I have been dinghy towing since 2005. Over this whole time I have utilized a “BrakeBuddy” aux braking system. I have towed three different vehicles including a 2015 and 2018 Equinox.

I would like to suggest that you modify one item to your routine repeating loop. In line 22 - the “Repeat Steps 2-17:”

Please add line 18. In other words replace “Repeat Steps 2-17” with “Repeat Steps 2-18.”

I make this suggestion because running the engine, on my 2018 Equinox, re-pressurizes the power brake system and can change the seat position. This causes a need to re-setup the auxiliary braking system, to de-pressurize the brakes and properly set it up to the driver’s seat. This may vary with different auxiliary braking systems, different Equinox trim level and different power seat setup options.

On my last 4000 mile trip over the summer, after a short stop to get fuel and run the Equinox’s engine, I did not de-pressurize the Equinox’s Power Brakes, via Brake Buddy the “Auto Start” button and boy, the first braking event locked up the Equinox’s brakes. Not fun on an Intrestate highway. The need to run the 2018 Equinox, at each stop, drives this extra step for me. Thus, the suggestion.

Note: I have an RVi Towed Battery Charger connected to the Equinox from the Motorhome’s alternator. On long trips, I often still have a low or even dead battery on the Equinox. I actually receive an alarm from the Brake Buddy that it has stopped working due to low voltage. I carry a battery charger and alway recharge the Equinox’s battery overnight, especially on multi-day travel events. I have noticed that the chance of battery drain is especially likely when traveling includes driving at night or in rain, possible due to the extra draw of the lights.
BarbaraRVs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2018, 06:04 AM   #128

I follow a very similar list of duties when hooking up and flat towing our 2018 Equinox LT and after over 9,000 miles I have not had a problem or a dead battery. I never tow at night, but even in a dark rain event, the headlights stay off.

But I do have a question. When I stop for fuel or at a rest stop and I run the Equinox, I read on another forum that you should not only let the Equinox run, but you should sit in the drivers seat, apply the foot brake and go through the gears a couple of times so that the automatic transmission and associated parts are all thoroughly lubricated. Have any of you heard of this procedure? Do any of you do this? Do you think it is necessary? Thank you!
LovToTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:36 AM   #129

Tiffin Owners Club
Flat Towing 2018 Equinox

Barbara RVs2 - Absolutely right! THX! I use the RVi3 brake system & its step-up also depressurizes the brake system. I learned the hard way what happens if depressurization is skipped (my $1,000 4-flat spotted tires "learning moment"). THX!
JT-RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:41 AM   #130

Tiffin Owners Club
2018 Equinox Owner's Manual flat towing instructions (totally inadequate) doesn't mention this, but when I was flat-towing a Honda Fit, Honda recommended it. I would venture to say it wouldn't hurt & will probably add to my procedure list. THX!
Old 10-08-2018, 11:02 AM   #131

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by madred View Post
Why do you leave your key fob in the car?
My 2018 Equinox is the first car I've ever owned with so many convenient "try to think for you" electronic doo-dads that I find unpredictable cuz I'm an old-school, hand's-on guy. The car behaves differently when FOB is in car vs out of car, beeping warnings I don't understand.
So, somewhere along the way, there must have been logic in leaving the FOB on the console, but right now, I can't remember why. Sorry for the non-answer. Thx!
Old 10-16-2018, 11:08 AM   #132

First post here. Awesome forum and great thread on the Equinox. My girlfriend owns a 2011 Foretravel Phenix(yes I know what a girlfriend) I've only been involved with this coach for a little over a year and this is the only coach I have driven so the curve has been a little steep at times. I do have my class B non-commercial licence. The previous TOAD has been off at collage so I just purchased a 2018 Equinox LT(used 15K on the odometer). Blue Ox base plate and diode wiring kit are here. She already had 3(I don't know why)Blue Ox tow bars. One of my questions is using the diode kit or using the bulb and socket method. I've read posts of guys using both methods both have their advantages and disadvantages. I guess the two big ones are either cutting the factory wiring or drilling a hole in the back of the lens. Which way to go????
The other question is towing speed. I read 65MPH max. I'm sure there are people towing faster than that. What's the reasoning behind 65?

Thanks for your time this forum has been a great help in choosing the TOAD and getting it setup correctly.
Krink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:09 AM   #133

I use the separate bulb as then I don’t have any contact with the factory wiring. My initial concerns were associated with a new vehicle and any potential warranty issues. Others are more concerned with water leaks around the hole you have to cut to insert the separate lamp. I think either point is valid.

As for the 65, many cars including my Equinox saylimit is 65. Suspect that there are issues with heat build up at higher speeds.

Enjoy the coach and toad,

Dennis
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:06 PM   #134

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This looks like an old thread and i would like to make it active again.

I'm trying to set up a 2018 Equinox LT FWD for towing. I installed a Roadmaster base plate and the Roadmaster Brakemaster system that I've used on previous toads. All is good with those.

I bought a Roadmaster wiring kit with diodes that Etrailer says fits my vehicle. Today, I tried to start that wring and found that running and brake lights come through a single wire and apparently with different voltages. My test light comes on at one level with the running lights and is a lot brighter when the turn signal is applied.

I tested my MH connector. Both the running and turn signal voltages are the same. I cannot understand how the turn signals will operate from the motor home if the running lights are on.

P.S. The AWD in the 2018 LT is NOT flat towable. It is only the 1.5 and the diesel. I ended up buying two different LTs to resolve that problem.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 06:25 AM   #135

2018 Equinox

When I setup my 2018 equinox I used a wiring set that has it's own bulb all you had to do was drill a hole in the tail light. It works great and I did not have to splice into the wiring.
madred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 09:11 AM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovToTravel View Post
We have a 2018 Equinox LT FWD that we tow 4 down. The doors do lock (I use the lock button on the FOB). There are times that I will lock the doors while towing but most of the time I don't. In less than a year, the Equinox has about 7,000 tow miles and 13,000 driving miles. We have the Demco Commander tow equipment, the RVi brake system, and the bulb kits in the taillights.
Does the odometer on the 2018 Equinox register miles when towing or just when regular driving?
LDStandlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 05:57 AM   #137

Miles only accumulate while driving. Towing has no impact.
Nevermind Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 07:06 AM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDStandlee View Post
Does the odometer on the 2018 Equinox register miles when towing or just when regular driving?
If you follow the recommended procedure for the Equinox, it will not add miles while being towed.
LovToTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 08:46 AM   #139

I can not speak to a 2018, but I tow my 2019 Equinox with my Class
John Shore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 10:48 AM   #140

Flat towed my 2018 Equinox for 2 years until a deer strike totaled it-wasn't towing!! Followed the setup instructions in the manual, very few and simple. Speedometer did not accumulate. The only "trouble" I had was with dead battery which was partly my fault for not running the car occasionally during stops as specified in the manual. I also attribute this to lights and my particular brake system. I ran a dedicated 12V 12Ga wire pair directly from MH battery to Toad, with precautions (e.g. fuses, etc.). This was a kit: www.lslproducts.com. No battery problems after this.

I ended up buying a 2020 Equinox after the deer strike. Wanted a 2021 but they were not yet released by GM due to the chinese virus.
2usaretired is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow