RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:24 AM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just bought a 2018 Equinox and was planning to set it up to flat tow. I am reluctant to set it up to flat tow until some of the issues I have read about are resolved.

I have also been given mixed information on wiring the lights. Since several people seem to have had there 2018 Equinox set up to flat tow. Would you please share whether you used a Bulb and Socket kit for a wiring kit with Diodes.
gr8grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2017, 12:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8grumpy View Post
I just bought a 2018 Equinox and was planning to set it up to flat tow. I am reluctant to set it up to flat tow until some of the issues I have read about are resolved.

I have also been given mixed information on wiring the lights. Since several people seem to have had there 2018 Equinox set up to flat tow. Would you please share whether you used a Bulb and Socket kit for a wiring kit with Diodes.

Our installer used the kit that included the bulbs. He was originally going to tie into the existing wiring, but said after further investigation into the 2018 Equinox, he thought it would be better to use the kit that included the bulb and sockets.

As stated earlier, we have not had any issues towing our 2018 Equinox and we have towed for over 2,000 miles.
KeysVal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 04:41 PM   #17

We have a 2018 equinox My 12 volt outlet stays hot on accessory Did you need a different outlet only for ease of hook up We are in process of setting up to tow Any info is helpfull
rickdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 04:55 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickdw View Post
We have a 2018 equinox My 12 volt outlet stays hot on accessory Did you need a different outlet only for ease of hook up We are in process of setting up to tow Any info is helpfull

Our installer recommended the outlet under the seat. He charged $30 in labor, plus the cost of the outlet for the install. So we thought it was worth having. It does make the brake set up a little easier.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:14 PM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeysVal View Post
Our installer used the kit that included the bulbs. He was originally going to tie into the existing wiring, but said after further investigation into the 2018 Equinox, he thought it would be better to use the kit that included the bulb and sockets.

As stated earlier, we have not had any issues towing our 2018 Equinox and we have towed for over 2,000 miles.
Does your Equinox have LED taillights? Do you know if they installed an LED bulb and socked kit?

Thanks for you help and information.
gr8grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:04 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8grumpy View Post
Does your Equinox have LED taillights? Do you know if they installed an LED bulb and socked kit?

Thanks for you help and information.

Unfortunately I don't know if the light kit had LED bulbs. Sorry!
Old 09-08-2017, 10:21 AM   #21

2018 Chevy Equinox Flat towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeysVal View Post
We have a charge line from our RV to the Equinox. This is how we tow ours;
Press and hold the start button for 7 - 10 seconds, with your foot OFF the brake until the dash lights up.
Put your foot on the brake and shift to neutral.
Take your foot off the brake and press the start button. The dash lights will go out, but a message on the dash will appear that says "Shift To Park". You will also hear a chime sounding.

We towed in that mode and did not have any issues with the battery.

We did tow once without pressing the start/stop button at the end, which left all of the dashboard lights on, and we did get a low battery warning and in addition, the odometer logged the miles we towed.

By pressing the start/stop button after shifting to neutral, it eliminated those issues. The chime must only go on for a limited amount of time. At the end of the day it was no longer sounding, but the "shift to park" was still showing on the dashboard.

We did have a dedicated 12 volt outlet wired under the drivers seat to power the RVI3 Brake System.
I have just installed the base plate but have not towed my 2018 Equinox, I am using a Blue OX Patriot II braking system, will I need to use one of the charging systems? I know the vehicle stays in accessory mode and was wondering if that helps drain the battery also.
hoss2988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 11:00 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoss2988 View Post
I have just installed the base plate but have not towed my 2018 Equinox, I am using a Blue OX Patriot II braking system, will I need to use one of the charging systems? I know the vehicle stays in accessory mode and was wondering if that helps drain the battery also.
I would install the charge wire from the motor home to the Equinox. You definitely will be drawing some power in the accessory mode, plus your braking system will draw some power also.

For the modest additional cost of installing the charge line, I don't see how you can go wrong having it installed.

Just my opinion.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:22 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
4 wheels down 2018 Equinox

Getting ready to purchase a 2018 Equinox with Front Wheel Drive and the 1.5 turbo 4 cylinder. Have never towed and would like to know any recommendations for baseplate, brake and what to attach to the RV.

Thanks,
Pete and Jan
Old 09-21-2017, 01:20 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toopalms View Post
Getting ready to purchase a 2018 Equinox with Front Wheel Drive and the 1.5 turbo 4 cylinder. Have never towed and would like to know any recommendations for baseplate, brake and what to attach to the RV.

Thanks,
Pete and Jan
Don't know about the Equinox specifically ( on our list as a possible future toad) but I do highly recommend the Ready Brute Elite tow bar and integrated surge brake. We've used it first on our Class C and now our Class A to tow our Jeep Wrangler about 12,000 trouble free miles.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:33 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toopalms View Post

Thanks,

Pete and Jan

We had the Blue Ox baseplate installed on our 2018 Equinox. We went with the Avail tow bar and the RVI Brake system. We are brand new to motor homes and Toads and find this system very easy to use and operate.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:10 AM   #26

After my first trip, I took the Equinox and 2013 Concord back to my RV Dealer. Their tech ran a new charge line. He could not find why the original did not work, easier to run a new wire. We got back from second trip with the Equinox yesterday, I am glad to report everything worked as it should.
bompa51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 07:54 PM   #27

I finished the install on our 2018 Equinox Premier. Here is the list:
Blue Ox Baseplate
Blue Ox Aladdin Tow bar
Roadmaster Invisibrake
Roadmaster Diode Kit
Roadmaster Stop Light Switch Kit.

The Premier has LED tail lights so a bulb kit is out. I used the Roadmaster diodes. A little more pricey but they are supposed to be heavy duty.

Invisibrake: Hard to find a good place to mount the pulley because of an indention on the firewall. Finally got it. I added an ON/OFF switch for the system on the drivers side kick plate molding. Best place to go through the firewall was the 4 Oclock position where the hood release cable goes through. I had to remove the windshield wipers and the fairing on the drivers side to get access. Worked GREAT...came out right by the battery. I used the brake wire (blue) as a signal wire for the brake switch. The brake switch kit went in without a hitch. I mounted the Invisibrake controller on an aluminum plate and mounted that in the back left side just forward of the spare tire. Sticks out a little, but the spare can easily be removed if necessary.

Blue Ox Baseplate: Hardest part was getting the bumper cover off. The plate mounts without ANY cutting of the frame unlike previous models. Literally bolted right on after drilling a few holes. The bolts are Category 5...don't over torque them (I broke one). Cutting the trim to fit was easy with a utility knife. I didn't have to cut much at all except where the receivers came through.

I haven't towed it yet but if anything weird happens, I'll post it.
JETCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 08:22 AM   #28

Diodes for 2018 Equinox Premier

LED tail lights on the Premier were a little tricky. Forget metering this out. Etrailer.com told me which wires worked what. I tried to make sense of it with a meter...forget it. Just do it like they say and everything works great!

Hooked the Equinox up behind the coach and everything worked perfectly. Don't even feel it back there.

Anyone want to buy a nearly new ACME dolly?
JETCU is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow