RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-15-2017, 01:57 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
GM is notorious for giving incomplete instructions on how to flat tow. These are the instructions for many of their vehicles:

[/FONT]

Nowhere does it say to turn the key out of the ACC position so how does removing the DLIS fuse prevent the battery from draining? It doesn't. The DLIS fuse removal allows you to turn the key OFF with the gearshift in Neutral.
Checking the Owners Manual, there is no DLIS fuse in the Instrument Fuse Block, nor in the other two fuse blocks. Just what were you referring to?
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2017, 05:57 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeysVal View Post
We have a charge line from our RV to the Equinox. This is how we tow ours;
Press and hold the start button for 7 - 10 seconds, with your foot OFF the brake until the dash lights up.
Put your foot on the brake and shift to neutral.
Take your foot off the brake and press the start button. The dash lights will go out, but a message on the dash will appear that says "Shift To Park". You will also hear a chime sounding.

We towed in that mode and did not have any issues with the battery.

We did tow once without pressing the start/stop button at the end, which left all of the dashboard lights on, and we did get a low battery warning and in addition, the odometer logged the miles we towed.

By pressing the start/stop button after shifting to neutral, it eliminated those issues. The chime must only go on for a limited amount of time. At the end of the day it was no longer sounding, but the "shift to park" was still showing on the dashboard.

We did have a dedicated 12 volt outlet wired under the drivers seat to power the RVI3 Brake System.
So far I have not seen the accessories power off following the above procedure.

I am really interested if the console power receptacle stays live.
Old 10-15-2017, 06:16 PM   #31

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just finished towing our 2018 Equinox over 7000 miles. Battery went dead 3 times. I unhooked the ground from the battery after that. The car is now at the dealers and they are trying to figure out why it is doing this.
With everything turned off and a voltage meter between the ground on the battery and the ground cable it is using .001 amps. With the battery hooked up and set to tow as per GM there is a load of 5.00 amps. Now all that they have to do is figure out is why. Also when the battery was hooked up and being towed I have a strong smell of burning wires when driving the car for about 20 minutes with the ac or the heater on. As for lighting I am using magnetic lights on the back. I don't want to mess with the new electrical systems.
hydro45640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 10:32 AM   #32

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Update for 2018 Equinox

GM just came out with an update last Friday for the 2018 Equinox.
To keep the battery from discharging, they recommend adding a battery disconnect to the negative post.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:04 PM   #33

I'd exclude any vehicle that has electronic power steering. Both Jeep and GM have problems. Jeep admitted it and developed a fix. Last I knew, GM still denied having a problem!
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 05:13 PM   #34

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro45640 View Post
GM just came out with an update last Friday for the 2018 Equinox.
To keep the battery from discharging, they recommend adding a battery disconnect to the negative post.
Where can I find this update?
gr8grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:58 PM   #35

We have towed our 2018 Equinox for almost 4,000 miles. No "wobble" issues whatsoever.

We did have a charge line from our motor home installed. The battery in our Equinox went dead a couple of times and I realized the charge line was not working.

We brought the Equinox back to the installer and they found we had a bad ground wire. Since that has been resolved, we have towed for 2,000 miles with no issues whatsoever.
KeysVal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:16 AM   #36

Disconnecting the battery wouldn't be my first choice. The Invisibrake is wired to the battery and chassis grounded. I am going to give the charge line a chance and see what happens.
JETCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 02:13 PM   #37

Doing a test today on what turns off. At two hours the dinging has stopped but the radio is still on and the power receptacles in the front and rear of the console are still alive.

In one aspect being able to use a console receptacle for the Apollo Brake unit is good. But I see what a charge line from the motorhome is wise.

Our 2014 Equinox never had a dead battery but we had a switch on the fuse that killed almost all the accessories.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:39 PM   #38

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I obtained it from my dealer this morning when I picked up my Equinox they had in the shop to determine why the battery was discharging.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:24 PM   #39

We did our first tow of the 2018 Equinox. After 4 hours of towing, hen we arrived, we got a Low Battery warning.

We had installed a Hopkins 39332 BrakeBuddy Towed Vehicle Battery Maintainer. We were not impressed with the Hopkins with thin wires. Not much current capacity. We wanted the RVI Towed Battery Charger because it looked healthier with larger wires and a ground wire for some voltage referencing but could not get one in time.

In the four hours, all the accessories will still alive. Since we have an Apollo Aux Brake and disconnecting the battery is out of the question.

Very interested in what GM uncovers.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:12 PM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale & Mark Bruss View Post
We did our first tow of the 2018 Equinox. After 4 hours of towing, hen we arrived, we got a Low Battery warning.

We had installed a Hopkins 39332 BrakeBuddy Towed Vehicle Battery Maintainer. We were not impressed with the Hopkins with thin wires. Not much current capacity. We wanted the RVI Towed Battery Charger because it looked healthier with larger wires and a ground wire for some voltage referencing but could not get one in time.

In the four hours, all the accessories will still alive. Since we have an Apollo Aux Brake and disconnecting the battery is out of the question.

Very interested in what GM uncovers.
I use the RVI battery charger and it works well. Never a dead battery with that.
bokobird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:18 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokobird View Post
I use the RVI battery charger and it works well. Never a dead battery with that.

I neglected to mention that we also have the RVI charge system installed
KeysVal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:44 AM   #42

Was told today by dealer in Liberal, Ks need to unhook battery so battery does not go dead while towing. GM is working on the problem.
sassyhost is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow