RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-20-2017, 12:52 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyhost View Post
Was told today by dealer in Liberal, Ks need to unhook battery so battery does not go dead while towing. GM is working on the problem.
And how is the Auxiliary Brake unit going to be powered with the battery disconnected? Or do you believe you can tow a toad without a Auxiliary Brake unit?

Until I solve the battery discharge issue, I will stop every couple of hours and recharge the battery by running the car.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2017, 01:30 PM   #44

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Add a charge line from the motorhome. Either buy a ToadCharge unit or the one from RVi brake, wire them up, and you can stop worrying about the battery going dead.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 02:03 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Add a charge line from the motorhome. Either buy a ToadCharge unit or the one from RVi brake, wire them up, and you can stop worrying about the battery going dead.
That should be the case but the Hopkins BrakeBuddy Towed Vehicle Battery Maintainer that we installed has not kept the battery from drawing down.

Trying the RVI Battery maintainer next.
Old 10-21-2017, 05:56 AM   #46

I ordered the RVi charger today. According to the specs, it puts out a charge current of 15 amps. That should handle about everything I would think. Also, we are going to make sure ALL accessories (lights, radio, etc.) are OFF prior to leaving Tuesday. If the battery goes dead on our 7 hour drive to Nashville, we will know there are bigger problems. Disconnecting the battery is not a solution in my opinion.
JETCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 04:56 PM   #47

We thought the first tow did not add any miles to the odometer. The last four trips did add miles to the odometer. Followed the same steps.

Tried adding a ground wire to see if the Hopkins BrakeBuddy Towed Vehicle Battery Maintainer worked any better. It didn't. But I do believe the ground wire will be necessary with the RVI Battery Maintainer too. We are using magnetic lights so we were not supplying a ground through the lights.

It is amazing to us that the 2012 and 2014 Equinox never ran the battery down from the Apollo Brake unit. If nothing else comes as a solution, the sledgehammer approach will to disconnect the car from the battery and connect the Apollo directly to the battery.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:13 PM   #48

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale & Mark Bruss View Post
We thought the first tow did not add any miles to the odometer. The last four trips did add miles to the odometer. Followed the same steps.

Tried adding a ground wire to see if the Hopkins BrakeBuddy Towed Vehicle Battery Maintainer worked any better. It didn't. But I do believe the ground wire will be necessary with the RVI Battery Maintainer too. We are using magnetic lights so we were not supplying a ground through the lights.

It is amazing to us that the 2012 and 2014 Equinox never ran the battery down from the Apollo Brake unit. If nothing else comes as a solution, the sledgehammer approach will to disconnect the car from the battery and connect the Apollo directly to the battery.

After you push and hold the start button to put it into accessory and shift into neutral, do you then push the start button to turn off accessories?
gr8grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 06:47 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8grumpy View Post
After you push and hold the start button to put it into accessory and shift into neutral, do you then push the start button to turn off accessories?
Yes. Now we have been stepping on the brake after pushing the Start Button to turn things off, shifting into Neutral and then hit the Start Button again.

I have read that maybe instead of stepping on the brake, just hold the Start button until you can shift into Neutral.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:36 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8grumpy View Post

Yes, push the start/stop button. That will turn off the odometer and the dashboard lights.

You will see a notification on the dashboard saying "Shift To Park", and there will be a chime sounding. The chiming will eventually stop.

If you have a charge line from the MH to the tow vehicle (we have the RVI charger), you will not have any battery issues.
KeysVal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 04:54 AM   #51

OK, we did our 7 hour trip yesterday. Followed the steps to the letter. I made sure all accessories were OFF. I did notice that the lights turned themselves back ON again so I turned them back OFF. The “SHIFT TO PARK” message and chimes were on as advertised. I got an annoying 3 quick blasts of the horn when I shut the door. We pulled 5 hours, stopped for fuel and started the car for 5 minutes as recommended by GM to lube the transmission. No battery issues at all. Since I never shifted to park, when I pressed the Start/Stop button to turn the Equinox OFF, it went right back into the tow mode! Perfect!!!
So far very satisfied with towing and the Invisibrake worked perfectly. I didn’t have time before I left to install the RVi Tow charger, so all this took place with a charging wire connected through a 30 amp fuse to the positive side of the battery.
I don’t know how much it helped, but reading the instructions for the diodes for the tail lights and the Invisibrake seem to indicate that grounding is VERY important, so I grounded at the back of the Equinox near the tail lights, again at the drivers kick plate molding, and the base plate up front.

JET
JETCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 06:02 PM   #52

We have tried all the procedures previously listed for getting our 2018 Equinox ready to tow. So far nothing turns off the accessories and more importantly turns off the odometer.

I guess lacking a better procedure, we will resort to a battery disconnect switch. The auxiliary brake unit would be directly connected to the batter as well as the RVI Towed Battery Charger.

I don't have a good feeling that GM will come up with a solution like our 2014 Equinox had where one fuse disconnected almost everything.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:13 PM   #53

Quote:
We have tried all the procedures previously listed for getting our 2018 Equinox ready to tow. So far nothing turns off the accessories and more importantly turns off the odometer.

I guess lacking a better procedure, we will resort to a battery disconnect switch. The auxiliary brake unit would be directly connected to the batter as well as the RVI Towed Battery Charger.

I don't have a good feeling that GM will come up with a solution like our 2014 Equinox had where one fuse disconnected almost everything.

Once you shift into neutral, when you press the start/stop button, it doesn’t shut off your dashboard lights?

That’s what happens on our 2018;Equinox. There is a prompt on their dash saying “shift to Park”, and a chime is sounding, but our dashboard lights are off. Including the odometer.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:36 AM   #54

The dash lights go off and the Display Panel says to put the transmission into park, and the chime is pinging. But the accessories stay on and the odometer has clicked up miles for the distance we have towed.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:09 AM   #55

Quote:
The dash lights go off and the Display Panel says to put the transmission into park, and the chime is pinging. But the accessories stay on and the odometer has clicked up miles for the distance we have towed.

The dash lights go out but your odometer logged miles? Are you certain of that?

When we first started, we thought the odometer had clocked miles, but eventually realized that we had forgotten to reset the trip odometer.

I would reset the trip odometer to zero and try again, If your vehicle is truly clocking miles while the dashboard lights are off, you are experiencing something completely different than our Equinox.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:35 PM   #56

The trip odometers are one at zero and the other for the last trip. The trip odometers would turn off with the main odometer.

Our main odometer shows just short of 1000 miles and that is the distance from where we bought the Equinox in Hutchinson Kansas Indicating it has not been off even though the dash lights were off.

This is an LT, is yours an LT too?

Tags
tow