RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-07-2017, 05:00 PM   #57

2018 Equinox Flat Tow

I am looking at a 2018 Equinox to flat tow. A few questions please.

1. Those of you who are flat towing-I assume you are writing about a 2018 front wheel drive and not a front wheel/all wheel switchable drive. Correct?

2. I have not seen a 2018 FWD but have the 2018 Equinox Operator Manual. There is no mention of unlocking the steering wheel in the instructions. How do you do that?

3. Since there also is no mention of pulling fuses or disconnecting a battery cable have any of you experienced dead or weak battery?

Thank you.
2usaretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2017, 08:37 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale & Mark Bruss View Post
The trip odometers are one at zero and the other for the last trip. The trip odometers would turn off with the main odometer.

Our main odometer shows just short of 1000 miles and that is the distance from where we bought the Equinox in Hutchinson Kansas Indicating it has not been off even though the dash lights were off.

This is an LT, is yours an LT too?

Yes, ours is also an LT.

Just so we’re clear; you’re saying that your main odometer is logging miles bit your trip odometers aren’t logging miles?
KeysVal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 12:13 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2usaretired View Post
I am looking at a 2018 Equinox to flat tow. A few questions please.

1. Those of you who are flat towing-I assume you are writing about a 2018 front wheel drive and not a front wheel/all wheel switchable drive. Correct?

2. I have not seen a 2018 FWD but have the 2018 Equinox Operator Manual. There is no mention of unlocking the steering wheel in the instructions. How do you do that?

3. Since there also is no mention of pulling fuses or disconnecting a battery cable have any of you experienced dead or weak battery?

Thank you.
1. 2018 Equinox Premier front wheel drive 1.5 L turbo

2. Steering doesn't lock. It's pushbutton start.

3. I hooked a battery charging line from the motorhome to the positive side of the battery. Pulled in 5 hour intervals and ran the car for 5 minutes each time for lubrication per the Owners Manual. No battery problems.
JETCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 12:18 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeysVal View Post
Yes, ours is also an LT.

Just so we’re clear; you’re saying that your main odometer is logging miles bit your trip odometers aren’t logging miles?
The trip odometer does log miles along with the main odometer. We reset the trip odometer when we refuel.

I feel the RVI Battery Charger will handle battery issues. We just don't want to rack up miles on the odometer when being towed.

Has anyone put a negative ground disconnect switch on their 2018 Equinox? If so, what brand?
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:29 AM   #61

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have pulled toads for five years and do not have a braking system.
hydro45640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 06:02 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro45640 View Post

That way, you can avoid all these silly threads about safely towing a vehicle!
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 06:21 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro45640 View Post
I don't think bragging about breaking the law is a smart thing.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:53 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETCU View Post

3. I hooked a battery charging line from the motorhome to the positive side of the battery. Pulled in 5 hour intervals and ran the car for 5 minutes each time for lubrication per the Owners Manual. No battery problems.

JETCU

Are you also experiencing the issue of logging miles on your odometer while towing?
Old 11-08-2017, 03:24 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETCU View Post

JETCU:

Just so I understand fully your #2. You can turn your steering wheel no problem when veh is being towed in neutral.
2usaretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:13 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeysVal View Post
JETCU

Are you also experiencing the issue of logging miles on your odometer while towing?
Not that I am aware. Only issue I've had is I have to be careful the headlights don't turn themselves back on and the horn gives 3 quick blasts when I close the door.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:14 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2usaretired View Post
JETCU:

Just so I understand fully your #2. You can turn your steering wheel no problem when veh is being towed in neutral.
There is no steering wheel lock.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:26 PM   #68

Quote:
The trip odometers are one at zero and the other for the last trip. The trip odometers would turn off with the main odometer.

Our main odometer shows just short of 1000 miles and that is the distance from where we bought the Equinox in Hutchinson Kansas Indicating it has not been off even though the dash lights were off.

This is an LT, is yours an LT too?

I can state unequivocally that we are NOT logging miles on our odometer while towing.

Noted the miles on our odometer and reset the trip odometer to zero. We towed about 380 miles today and did not log any miles on the odometer.

Not trying to be a smart alec, but is it possible that you neglected to press the start/stop switch after shifting to neutral? That would definitely log miles on your odometer.

I don’t understand why your 2018 Equinox would respond differently than ours.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:38 PM   #69

You are not being a smart alec, but yes I pressed and held the Start/Stop switch after shifting to neutral. The dash lights go off and the indicator about returning to Park displays.

The accessory outlets stay alive. The light switch doesn't like to stay in the Off position when there is no power.

Sure wish I could find a simple step I am missing.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:48 PM   #70

Quote:
You are not being a smart alec, but yes I pressed and held the Start/Stop switch after shifting to neutral. The dash lights go off and the indicator about returning to Park displays.

The accessory outlets stay alive. The light switch doesn't like to stay in the Off position when there is no power.

Sure wish I could find a simple step I am missing.

Seems like a small thing, but when we push the start/stop button after shifting to neutral, we are not pressing and holding the button. A quick press turns off the dash lights in our case.

We press and hold the button with our foot off of the brake to put the car in accessory mode. Once the dashboard lights are lit we press the brake and shift to neutral. We then do a “quick press” of the button and the dashboard lights go off and we get the the chime and “shift to park” prompt.

We are finishing up a trip of about 3,000 miles towing the Equinox.

Tags
tow