Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2018, 06:31 PM   #43
ORF

When I towed my Jeep, we ran a hot wire back to the battery so it always stayed charged. I also had an extra key made special that would turn and release the steering lock but would not start the vehicle.
ORF is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2018, 08:19 PM   #44

Well, that's really a shame. I feel so terrible for you. Those dealers can be so heartless. I hope this doesn't ruin you for RVing. If you need somebody to listen, call me. I'm a good listener. I'm available to help you get through this. I mean it sincerely.
So, how much you want for your new planter?
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:37 PM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It really doesn't sound like a Ford issue to me. Something wasn't done right in the setup process. This is evidenced by the fact that the battery ran down and the vehicle accumulated mileage. I know its a tough pill to swallow, but its not a manufacturing defect.

I am surprised that Ford has you towing with the auto transmission in neutral. Jeeps have always specified that the transmission be placed in park. This prevents any chance that the transmission can turn. The problem is that there is no pump on the transmission output shaft, so if the trans is turning by being pulled, it is not getting lubricated. By leaving the trans in neutral you allow the possibility that the transmission may turn. When it turns without lube, it will weld itself together. When a trans welds itself together like that it's due to lack of lube. A teardown will find the front pump in good condition indicating that the rear was turning but the front was not.

I might add after watching the video, thats the darnedest process for putting a t/case in neutral. Too many ways to screw things up imho.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:21 PM   #46

2014 f-150

I have towed my 2014 over 10,000 miles. Once I have activated the tow mode I leave the transmission in neutral and turn the key off. I forgot to turn the key off once and at the end of the day the battery was low and the mileage had increased.
Wbwimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 11:16 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv20 View Post
We've got a 2018 F-150 King Ranch that we bought to use as a toad. It's been on 6 trips, and on 2 of them, we've found the battery dead after towing a few hours. Neutral tow mode was activated as per the manual, and we have no other modifications that could possibly drain the battery other than an Air Force One.

We got home from our trip on Sunday evening, and after boosting the truck, we found the mileage had accumulated and transmission had welded itself together... apparently when the battery goes dead, neutral tow mode no longer works.

Ford says $7,000 to replace, not going to be covered under warranty. The truck only has 2,000 miles on it. The dealership says it's the second instance they've seen of this, and admits "it's probably best just to put it on a trailer when behind your motorhome."

Anyone here have any experience with this? If not, I guess it's buyer beware. This is our 5th new Ford truck, and afraid it will be our last.
: best to flat tow a Manual then no problems but we have Suzuki Grand Vitara and we put electronic 4x4 into Neutral and the transmission into Park hook it all up and make sure the wire to keep battery charged is plugged in. We just finished a 6000 mile trip and no problems and never any problems before. But I have seen more Class A's and even some B+'s and C's towing their toads on Tandem Flatbed trailers and when you think of it probably a lot cheaper on Duel consumption, no miles on car/truck.
Our Suzuki does not gain miles when it is being towed only when we drive it does it gain miles.
Well all I can say in the future is good luck with your next choice.
stude
studesrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:09 AM   #48

rrh343

For those having alarms going off while toeing. What I found is after setting up toe mode completely and exiting vehicle, I then lock the doors manually w/key (spare key). No more alarm while toeing.

2017 ENTEGRA

2017 F-250 4X4
rrh343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 02:40 PM   #49

I tow a 2016 Canyon 4WD and it has a lengthy tow preparation checklist. When I installed the tow wiring I drilled holes in the back of the tail lights and added separate bulbs for running, brake and turn signal lights. This way I disconnect the battery before towing and there is no current draw except for the brake buddy which is wired directly to the battery via a fuse. I will never use diodes and splices again. Good luck with Ford. I hope it works out well for you.
shelland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:25 PM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
Sean any good news from Ford yet.

Walt
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:45 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv20 View Post
Thanks for all the replies-- good suggestions!

I've got no issue that the battery ran down for whatever reason. A charge line is a simple solution. However, I wish Ford would mention that a dead battery would cause extensive (and expensive!) damage. This probably wouldn't be an issue in a truck with a manual transfer case not completely controlled by electrons. I've flat towed other vehicles and a dead battery is a mere annoyance. I'm not sure I'll be able to tow the F-150 again without worrying about expensive damage, charge line or not. The fact that a service manager admitted even though the manual says it's okay, it's probably not a good idea to tow four down is probably a good indication that maybe it wasn't completely thought through.

The dealership is running the issue up the chain; hopefully we come out with a positive outcome!
:write the head office of Ford not just the dealer, I had a bad engine in a Mazda, the dealer would not replace it and I even told them about it when it was going at 70,000KM's and they more or less told me to go jump in a lake they were not going to cover it because I did not let them do the service work on it. My wife and I did all the needed service work and it was okayed by a friend who is a top notch mechanic for another dealer. In Canada we have 1/2 hour free time with a Lawyer so we quickly explained our problem about the dealer said no on a rebuild or new engine and that the engine had 100,000Mile Warranty not KM's so he quickly wrote them a letter and about 30 days later we got a letter back from Mazda that there was a new engine sitting at the dealers but we had them send it to another dealer as we refused to let that dealer touch our Vehicle. Paid to have the lawyer send that letter, cost to us was $50.
stude
studesrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 08:48 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by studesrus View Post
:write the head office of Ford not just the dealer, I had a bad engine in a Mazda, the dealer would not replace it and I even told them about it when it was going at 70,000KM's and they more or less told me to go jump in a lake they were not going to cover it because I did not let them do the service work on it. My wife and I did all the needed service work and it was okayed by a friend who is a top notch mechanic for another dealer. In Canada we have 1/2 hour free time with a Lawyer so we quickly explained our problem about the dealer said no on a rebuild or new engine and that the engine had 100,000Mile Warranty not KM's so he quickly wrote them a letter and about 30 days later we got a letter back from Mazda that there was a new engine sitting at the dealers but we had them send it to another dealer as we refused to let that dealer touch our Vehicle. Paid to have the lawyer send that letter, cost to us was $50.
stude
Good move.

I used to have an attorney that'd charge a very small fee for a letter that just said he was advising me to take appropriate legal action. I didn't even have to go over. Sometimes it worked; sometimes it didn't. But it was cheap
Old 08-15-2018, 03:32 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
It really doesn't sound like a Ford issue to me. Something wasn't done right in the setup process. This is evidenced by the fact that the battery ran down and the vehicle accumulated mileage. I know its a tough pill to swallow, but its not a manufacturing defect.

I might add after watching the video, thats the darnedest process for putting a t/case in neutral. Too many ways to screw things up imho.
jt
I have to agree with harleyjt first statement. Face the fact this was operator error.
I don't agree with his second statement as I flat tow my 2014 F-150. Up until you need to turn the key to the off position it's a cut & try thing. If not done right the dash wouldn't say you are in neutral tow mode.
Once the key is turned off there is no draw that would kill the battery or increase miles on the odometer.

Yes Ford has a video that a F-150 4x4 can be flat towed if directions are followed!!
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 10:03 PM   #54
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"SV20".....At some point, bypass the dealer. There is always an area representative that the dealer goes through. Ask.....demand to talk to that representative. I'm big on people being responsible for their actions, but in this case, Ford has some responsibility to make this system bullet proof, especially at such low mileage. Contacting Ford should be cordial and then slowly escalated until results are seen. I went after Ford four times in my life and they denied wrongdoing, just as a standard response. All four times they were proven wrong and paid for repairs.

I've bought a lot of cars over the years and have had issues with both Ford and Chevrolet. Personally, I will never buy an American car again, but unfortunately, I've always owned a truck and only American made trucks are built to be towed anymore.

Over the years, I've towed a Dodge Dakota, Nissan Frontier, Chevrolet Silverado, Honda CRV and now my GMC Canyon. I've used the AF1 system on all of them. I've never used a charge line on any of them. On many occasions I've towed for two days straight without starting the toad.

With that said, some of the other braking systems can use a substantial amount of battery, especially in stop and go traffic.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:16 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelland View Post
I tow a 2016 Canyon 4WD and it has a lengthy tow preparation checklist. When I installed the tow wiring I drilled holes in the back of the tail lights and added separate bulbs for running, brake and turn signal lights. This way I disconnect the battery before towing and there is no current draw except for the brake buddy which is wired directly to the battery via a fuse. I will never use diodes and splices again. Good luck with Ford. I hope it works out well for you.

Why would you not use diodes again?
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:46 PM   #56

Transmission toast

Ford has changed the instructions to flat tow an F150 as of July 2018. the change is done in order to turn off all the accessories that draw power and cause a dead battery I've had mine go flat twice, luckily there was enough juice left so I didn't make toast of my transmission My 2015 owners manual, page, 267, has 5 steps, the July dealers up date info adds steps 6 & 7 to prevent the problem Hope I've attached my copy of the dealers update Not quite sure how to navigate this site yet.
mogguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f-150, f150, toad