Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-02-2018, 09:10 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
2018 Ford Edge SEL tow wiring kits anyone? BEWARE

OK, just spent a ton of money getting my new 2018 Ford Edge SEL ready to flat tow ( replacing my 2013 Edge SEL)
I got the supposedly proper Blue OX wiring kit etc based on their web site.

I went to a RV shop that specializes in this to have the base plate, break-away system and tow light system installed.

Got a call that the wiring kit did not work. The installer spent several hours off and on with Blue Ox on the phone trying to make it work but no go. It turns out that the wiring system in the 2018 SEL is different than the Sport and Titanium models and nobody makes a wiring kit for it???

Blue Ox finally admitted defeat and said nothing they had would work.

The installer said that there are 5 wires that go into the taillight and more than one has a signal on it when they use a meter. Local Ford dealers don't want to help as they need to pull a mechanic off the line to talk to Ford HQ to ask about schematics (no money in it for them).

The installer also said there is not enough room in the taillight to add a bulb, so that is out as well. I can't use magnetic lights as there is no longer any metal on the roof.

I've checked with some other manufactures and they all say they don't make a kit for the 2018 SEL due to wiring changes - only for the Sport and Titanium.

I'm trying to think of some ideas that will look neat. I was hoping not to have to put tow lights on and off the vehicle this time but I guess that's out.

Maybe a 1/2 roof rack with a metal plate? Anyone have any ideas or have you done this for the 2018 SEL?

Thanks

Chris
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2018, 11:11 AM   #2

If it were me, I'd buy 4 large rare earth magnets, Then make a steel bracket to hold turn signal/brake lights and extend the metal to the edge of the rear window. Attach the magnets to the roof of the car as that's metal . The rare earth magnets will hold in the wind as they're very powerful so much so you'll want to put down a piece of Saran wrap on the roof then plant the magnets on top of the saran wrap to prevent scratching.

Another option is to use self adhesive Velcro strips on top of the roof. No one will probably see them and they too hold pretty well in the wind.

Is your technician positive that he can't insert a multi function red LED light into the rear brake light housing? The LED is much smaller and should do the job.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 01:17 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJowdy View Post
If it were me, I'd buy 4 large rare earth magnets, Then make a steel bracket to hold turn signal/brake lights and extend the metal to the edge of the rear window. Attach the magnets to the roof of the car as that's metal . The rare earth magnets will hold in the wind as they're very powerful so much so you'll want to put down a piece of Saran wrap on the roof then plant the magnets on top of the saran wrap to prevent scratching.

Another option is to use self adhesive Velcro strips on top of the roof. No one will probably see them and they too hold pretty well in the wind.

Is your technician positive that he can't insert a multi function red LED light into the rear brake light housing? The LED is much smaller and should do the job.
LJowdy;
I've thought of something similar, but the roof is NOT metal anymore. I've tried my magnetic lights everywhere and there is place to hold them. Worked great on my 2013 SEL. I'm thinking of something metal "pinched" between the top of the tailgate seal and the roof and put the magnetic lights on them.

As for space for LED lights I don't know as I've not (yet) had the taillights out myself yet.

Thanks

Chris
Old 06-02-2018, 02:08 PM   #4

cvbdsl-

Some folks mount a frame in the trailer hitch on the toad, and attach the lights to the frame. This assumes your new car has a hitch, of course.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 08:10 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
cvbdsl-

Some folks mount a frame in the trailer hitch on the toad, and attach the lights to the frame. This assumes your new car has a hitch, of course.
Thanks Mark;
I never thought of that and will consider it as the new Edge does have a hitch. Really gives me something to think about.

Thanks
Chris
Old 06-03-2018, 08:32 AM   #6
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvbdsl View Post
Thanks Mark;
I never thought of that and will consider it as the new Edge does have a hitch. Really gives me something to think about.

Thanks
Chris
I do this too. Using a simple 1 inch tube either clamped or welded across the hitch then a set of LED lights mounted to the ends works well.

The hitch has a ball so I can easily tow if needed. The lights are powered by a standard 4 pin connector. No connections to the Edge at all thus bypassing any feedback issues. It is not elegant but works great.

Be sure to use a charge line if you tow for long distances. The Edge seems to be a power pig when the thing is set up for towing.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 04:45 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I have a 2017 Edge, got it fully wired at the local RV dealer then drove down to pick up my new motorhome and lo and behold the lighting would not work whatsoever. The local Fix-It shop put a strip of LED on my back bumper that is brake and signal and works perfect if you want I could send you a picture of it. Hope this helped
cfen56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 05:46 PM   #8

There is another option. Using a 2 way toggle switch. You'll need 2 of them. Locate the tail light wires and the brake/turn signal wires. In one position of the toggle switch, power comes through via the car's wiring loom. In the other position, power to the lights comes from the motorhome. Years ago when I towed a 1993 Toyota Forerunner, I had the wires hooked up that way and it works great.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 02:21 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfen56 View Post
I have a 2017 Edge, got it fully wired at the local RV dealer then drove down to pick up my new motorhome and lo and behold the lighting would not work whatsoever. The local Fix-It shop put a strip of LED on my back bumper that is brake and signal and works perfect if you want I could send you a picture of it. Hope this helped
I've seen those but thought that the bumper might too low. I always liked my magnetic lights as they were higher. It is an option though.

Thanks

Chris
Old 06-04-2018, 02:23 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJowdy View Post
There is another option. Using a 2 way toggle switch. You'll need 2 of them. Locate the tail light wires and the brake/turn signal wires. In one position of the toggle switch, power comes through via the car's wiring loom. In the other position, power to the lights comes from the motorhome. Years ago when I towed a 1993 Toyota Forerunner, I had the wires hooked up that way and it works great.
It's not really much of an option as there are five wires (I think that's what the installer said) and more than one of them at a time has power when the brake lights etc are on. I can't use the vehicle wiring loom as it is some form of multiplex(?) wiring new for the 2018 SEL only.

thanks

Chris
Old 06-04-2018, 02:33 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
I do this too. Using a simple 1 inch tube either clamped or welded across the hitch then a set of LED lights mounted to the ends works well.

The hitch has a ball so I can easily tow if needed. The lights are powered by a standard 4 pin connector. No connections to the Edge at all thus bypassing any feedback issues. It is not elegant but works great.

Be sure to use a charge line if you tow for long distances. The Edge seems to be a power pig when the thing is set up for towing.
Don't have to worry about power, the 2018 Edge requires you to disconnect the battery. I use a portable booster pack to power my Patriot Brake.

This weekend I bought a bike rack that attaches at the ball (clamped under the ball). I also bought two six foot aluminium tubes that I though I can cut to a decent length and bolt on two pieces of metal (for the mag lights)to the tubes and then they can clamp onto the bike carrier. The lights could come of easily for stowing.

Only problem,the bike carrier I got is designed to use around about a 5/8th inch hole and my hitch is 1 inch. I did go back and get a new 1 1/4 inch hitch/ball and an 1 1/4 inch to 2 inch adapter.

However when I put that on there was way too much play and it stuck out quite far. Am taking it all back and will order a a bike carrier from Amazon that goes into the 2 inch receiver and will also get a shim.

Might not get at it this week, but needs to be done soon. Retiring two weeks from today! (29 years army, 12 years private industry and then and 5+ as gov't employee).

Thanks all for the suggestions, might end up using them all.

Chris
Old 10-25-2018, 03:22 PM   #12

Same problem here

Spent a ton of money and found out there is no wiring kit for the 2018 edge SEL model. I found this out after installing the hopkins HM56011 kit which I afterwards found out is only for the sport and titanium models. It works for brake and turn but the tail lights wont light up due to the PWM lighting system.

Worse still, when i turned the SMI stay in play breaking system on with the battery disconnected, the brake pedal is activated each time the turn signal flashes.

Overall this whole system is a bust. Trying to work under the dash is impossible since they put an airbag there so I cannot get at the brake switch to install a relay that would prevent the turn signals from activating the SMI brake controller nor can I install a separate brake switch and even if I could I will still have to use secondary tail lights with magnets or clips under hatchback.

Anyone found a working solution ?

95Dolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 03:50 PM   #13

95dolphin-

The Duo instructions should tell you this, but the braking system is supposed to go on and off with the turn signals if the sensitivity is set too low.

To set the sensitivity initially, turn on the turn signals (or use the hazards). Then, unscrew the sensitivity knob and move the knob upward until the Duo stops activating in synchrony with the turn signals/hazards. Finally, move the sensitivity knob an additional 1/8-inch past that point, and tighten the knob down. Adjust upward for less sensitivity, as desired.

I can't help you with the brake and tail light wiring, though, except to point you back to my post #4.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 04:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
95dolphin-

The Duo instructions should tell you this, but the braking system is supposed to go on and off with the turn signals if the sensitivity is set too low.

To set the sensitivity initially, turn on the turn signals (or use the hazards). Then, unscrew the sensitivity knob and move the knob upward until the Duo stops activating in synchrony with the turn signals/hazards. Finally, move the sensitivity knob an additional 1/8-inch past that point, and tighten the knob down. Adjust upward for less sensitivity, as desired.

I can't help you with the brake and tail light wiring, though, except to point you back to my post #4.

Hi Mark. I now found out that only the right turn indicator is causing the brake to activate, the left turn does nothing at all. I did try to set the sensitivity but when it stopped putting the brake down via flashers and then tried via brake pedal it didn't activate at all. I think this is all due to the wiring harness incompatibility.
95Dolphin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, tow, wiring