Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2018, 12:36 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
2018 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk "Death Wobble"

Has anyone experienced the death wobble? Have you had the flat tow wiring harness installed? If so, can you provide the part number for the 2018 Trailhawk? Even with all the talk about this problem and all the research I have done I would still buy the 2018 Trailhawk. If you need to install a battery maintainer for the flat tow Jeep wiring harness you will also need one for the toad brake setup so a good high quality battery maintainer is a must.
I have not ordered everything I need to set mine up for flat towing. Am in the process of gathering info and parts for the installs.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2018, 01:15 PM   #2

I have the 2018 Cherokee Latitude Plus and had the flat tow wiring kit installed. Part number 68321424AB
I think it is the same part number for your Jeep TrailHawk. My dealer did not have the part and the part is or was backlogged. I shopped around and had one shipped for a cost of $140.00 plus tax. My dealer installed for another $300. Plus tax and shop supplies. Not cheap but it Works well.
They installed a switch (inside the consul box) that you activate (after setting it up for towing ) you then need to lift the hood and insert a 10amp fuse. It does work well but it is a nuisance with the hood and fuse steps. Then, of course, you reverse the steps when you disconnect. Oh well nothing is perfect. I do like the Latitude and the extra steps with the wiring kit are not that difficult.
Carol99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 01:33 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
We flat tow a 2017 Cherokee Overland. Had the dealer install the flat tow harness. As Caroll99 said, messing with the fuse is a pain, but the harness works and eliminates the death wobble issue. Inserting the fuse can be eliminated by splicing into the wire just ahead of the fuse and installing a second switch inside the car so that you don't have to lift the hood or install a fuse.
RLH241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 02:17 PM   #4

Ooops I think I lost my last post so this is a repeat........regarding flat tow kit for Jeep.
I was told that I should not tow for more than 3 hours because the car battery may die or I could have a battery charger installed to eliminate the problem. I have an auxiliary brake system (Brake Buddy Stealth) installed that includes a battery maintainer. Will that maintainer be sufficient for both the Brake system and the tow kit?
Old 02-06-2018, 07:10 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol99 View Post
Ooops I think I lost my last post so this is a repeat........regarding flat tow kit for Jeep.
I was told that I should not tow for more than 3 hours because the car battery may die or I could have a battery charger installed to eliminate the problem. I have an auxiliary brake system (Brake Buddy Stealth) installed that includes a battery maintainer. Will that maintainer be sufficient for both the Brake system and the tow kit?
I have read other posts saying their battery goes dead when using the Jeep flat tow system even though they have the battery maintainer.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:49 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I use the RVi Toad Battery Charger and have never experienced a dead battery. However the EPS needs to be deactivated if stopping for the night and leaving the Jeep connected to the coach.

I have installed a switch inside the Jeep to eliminate having to open the hood. I'm attaching my installation document.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tow Wiring Kit Switch Installation.pdf (657.5 KB, 145 views)
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:14 AM   #7

Thanks to both "fly withcoop" and "BobGed" I am going to have a battery charger installed and will check out the switch mentioned by BobGed.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:00 PM   #8

Dose anybody know for shure this is required for 2018 model Grand Cherokee?
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 04:12 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule Skinner View Post
Dose anybody know for shure this is required for 2018 model Grand Cherokee?
While there have been reports of the 'death wobble' at slow speeds, usually while turning, on the GRAND Cherokee. There is currently no towed wiring harness kit to activate the EPS for the GRAND Cherokee available from FCA.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 05:40 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If your 2018 Grand Cherokee has fully electric power steering you could experience the "death wobble". You need to have a hydraulic fluid reservoir. I have a 2014 GC. It actually has a power steering fluid reservoir and can be towed with no worries. It is a hydraulic/electric system. I believe 2014 is the last year Jeep used this type of system.