Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-22-2021, 04:40 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
2019 Cherokee amber turn signal lights

I am going to setup a 2019 Cherokee for flat towing and am looking for some help with the amber turn signal LED lights on the Cherokee. I would like to use the amber turn signals that the car has. All the universal diode kits I have seen for sale have only 4 diodes and use a combined brake light and turn signal off of the motor home to feed the red brake light LED. The orange or amber LED on the car doesn't work while in tow. Has anyone here successfully used a 6 diode setup with separate brake and turn signal wires from the motor home to use the both red brake LED and amber turn LEDs on the car? What were the wire colors you spliced into for the turn signals?
c_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2021, 04:48 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Carter-

This post, from Scott ("FIRE UP") shows how to split the brake and turn signals out, using a 2-to-3 converter in the toad.

The diagram does not address the toad braking system-overriding-the-toad turn signal issue. That may be handled with a brake light relay or similar solution (Scott has used a toggle switch on some of his toads).
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 04:53 PM   #3

I think roadmaster has instructions on how to set this up, but you need I think 6 of the diode kits to do this with some creative cross wiring between them. I have to leave in just a minute, otherwise I would look it up. I think it may be mentioned here https://www.roadmasterinc.com/pdf/85-5303.pdf
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 07:25 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
Carter-

This post, from Scott ("FIRE UP") shows how to split the brake and turn signals out, using a 2-to-3 converter in the toad.

The diagram does not address the toad braking system-overriding-the-toad turn signal issue. That may be handled with a brake light relay or similar solution (Scott has used a toggle switch on some of his toads).

Thanks for the reply.
I am thinking Scottís method with the 2 to 3 converter that you pointed out could work. I was looking at a Curt converter box like that but Iím not sure it would play nice with the Cherokee LED lights. It might need some added resistors. I used a converter like that on a 2017 Focus but that had bulbs like Scottís CR-V and not LED.
Old 10-22-2021, 07:36 PM   #5

I have a 2019 Cherokee, and I just setup the tail lights to act like a boat trailer using the red (brake) lights. 4 diodes, less wire to run. But like you said, add a few more diodes, and a few more wires, and you can get the independent turn signals.. Heck, add 2 more and you can get the reverse lights to work as well... Just depends on what you want.. The coolest would be to get the rear camera pumped up the the RV.. Good luck..
2017 Winnebago Vista 29ve (Special Edition) Many Mods: Trimark Keyless Entry, Ride Rite Air bags, Roadmaster anti-sway bars, CrossFire dual tire system, TST TPMS, Roadmaster Sterling tow bar. Many little mods.
corvetteSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 08:02 PM   #6

We used a Curt brand wiring harness kit for our 2017 Cherokee, all plug and play, not wire splicing needing, I think they have similar one for the 2018+ models. Here is a link to the one for the 2017 Cherokee so you can see what it looks like, though note the newer Cherokee uses different connector plugs I think. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B074RNS6BL
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 09:29 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
We used a Curt brand wiring harness kit for our 2017 Cherokee, all plug and play, not wire splicing needing, I think they have similar one for the 2018+ models. Here is a link to the one for the 2017 Cherokee so you can see what it looks like, though note the newer Cherokee uses different connector plugs I think. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B074RNS6BL

Thanks for the reply ,
It looks to me this Curt custom harness combines turn signals and brake lights like all the others. Is that how yours is? Iím hoping for separate red brake and amber turn signals.
Old 10-22-2021, 09:47 PM   #8

Be VERY careful on how you install any electronics into your Jeep. If WILL affect your warranty!

I have a 2017 Cherokee setup to tow. The 2014-2017 (I think it stops at the 2017 year) has a known issue with the PTU going out. When they opened mine less than 2 moths ago they said it had exploded.

Again I am not sure on your year but Cherokees use electronic steering so you must install a wiring harness when you tow to keep the steering working.

They turned down the warranty work on my Cherokee a 2017 with 29,000 miles until I provided the receipt showing the work for the wiring harness was done at a Jeep dealer.

They then turned down the warranty because they said that adding diodes to the light system was against their warranty.
The catch was that all turn and brake signals for towing is a separate wiring harness that did not touch any Jeep systems.

Once that was proved they reluctantly provided a new PTU under warranty.

Be VERY Careful of what you do on any Jeep as they are very touchy about providing warranty work if anything has been done outside of what they do.
JMLifecation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 07:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMLifecation View Post
Be VERY careful on how you install any electronics into your Jeep. If WILL affect your warranty!

I have a 2017 Cherokee setup to tow. The 2014-2017 (I think it stops at the 2017 year) has a known issue with the PTU going out. When they opened mine less than 2 moths ago they said it had exploded.

Again I am not sure on your year but Cherokees use electronic steering so you must install a wiring harness when you tow to keep the steering working.

They turned down the warranty work on my Cherokee a 2017 with 29,000 miles until I provided the receipt showing the work for the wiring harness was done at a Jeep dealer.

They then turned down the warranty because they said that adding diodes to the light system was against their warranty.
The catch was that all turn and brake signals for towing is a separate wiring harness that did not touch any Jeep systems.

Once that was proved they reluctantly provided a new PTU under warranty.

Be VERY Careful of what you do on any Jeep as they are very touchy about providing warranty work if anything has been done outside of what they do.

This has not been my experience with my Jeep dealer. They have done warranty work on quite a few expensive things, and there has been no mention of my modifications, (which are obvious to see). Anyway, some dealers may be pickier than others.
2017 Winnebago Vista 29ve (Special Edition) Many Mods: Trimark Keyless Entry, Ride Rite Air bags, Roadmaster anti-sway bars, CrossFire dual tire system, TST TPMS, Roadmaster Sterling tow bar. Many little mods.
corvetteSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 05:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvetteSS View Post
This has not been my experience with my Jeep dealer. They have done warranty work on quite a few expensive things, and there has been no mention of my modifications, (which are obvious to see). Anyway, some dealers may be pickier than others.

Unless the dealer was telling me a story (I do not believe they were) warranty acceptance or denial comes from Chrysler, not the dealer.

The dealer is the one who went to battle for me with corporate. They worked their butts off to get the okay for me.

I am wondering if any of your warranty work had to do with drive train or electronics? The PTU issue touched both of those.

When we purchased the Jeep in SD the dealer told us directly to NOT put diodes into any of the signals of the Jeep that it would break the warranty.

Maybe they told us that so that they could charge us to put in a new harness, I put the harness in myself using reflectors that were already on the Jeep, so that did not work if that was what they were trying! LOL
JMLifecation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 08:55 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_oneil View Post
Thanks for the reply ,
It looks to me this Curt custom harness combines turn signals and brake lights like all the others. Is that how yours is? I’m hoping for separate red brake and amber turn signals.
I’ve also got one of the Curtis custom harnesses, but for my Ford Ranger. It’s great because there’s no splicing of factory wiring required. The harness doesn’t do the combining of the brake and turn, but it carries the combined brake and turn from the 7 way plug at the back of the motorhome. To get around it, I added a 2 to 3 way converter to isolate the brake feed, ran a new brake feed wire to the harness, checked the pin out and re-aligned the curt harness wiring, added a diode to the new brake line and boom!

Amber turn signals, red brake lights and running lights. And the bonus, I didn’t need to mess with any factory wiring.
Mighty_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 09:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_oneil View Post
Thanks for the reply ,
It looks to me this Curt custom harness combines turn signals and brake lights like all the others. Is that how yours is? Iím hoping for separate red brake and amber turn signals.
c_oneil,
I thank Mark for linking my original wiring diagram for correct lighting on a toad with amber turn signals. That toad happened to be a 2011 Honda CRV EX-L All wheel drive. And I, like you, wanted for my toads lights, to appear and activate EXACTLY the same when towing it, as they did when driving it. And if you look at that wiring diagram, and have even a remote basic understanding of auto wiring, it's an easy diagram to follow and apply.

But, there's a problem here. Being that your vehicle is a 2019, it will more than likely have what's called *CAN-BUSS* wiring. And I don't know if you know about CAN BUSS or not but, it doesn't like people messing with it, ANY part of it. Our 2011 did NOT have it. So, messing with the tail light wiring on that Honda was no big deal.

Now, one more thing. As Mark also elated to, I did not follow up at a later date with any brake light over-ride or related components. The primary reason was, I never set brakes up on the CRV. I always had intentions to but, never did. WE only kept that CRV for just under a year anyways. And we probably towed it, maybe a 1/2 dozen times.

Anyway, whether or not, you can apply my wiring schematic to your '19, and its CAN-BUSS wiring, well, that's a bit beyond my pay grade. Good luck and ask away if you have questions.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 08:14 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
I finally got around to wiring the '19 Cherokee for tow lights with the separate amber turn signals and red brake lights. Thought I would wrap this up here with what I found. I used a 2 to 3 converter placed inside the spare tire area of the car so I only needed a 4 wire cable from the front connector. The Curt converter has no problem with LED lights or the signal from the 3 to 2 converter previously installed in the motor home. I used 6 diodes total and did not connect the center high brake light. One small issue is the 2 to 3 converter flashes the red brake lights when the emergency hazard switch is on instead of the normal amber lights. It does flash in time with the amber hazard lights on the coach so I'm okay with this. Another small issue is the Cherokee amber LED and Red LED are behind the same clear defuser lens. So with the brake light and turn signal both on it flashes between solid red and a very bright reddish amber hue. If you are not braking the turn signals are normal amber. It should work well to catch the attention of other drivers.
Here are the wire colors I found:
Brake - DS, white - PS, white/green
Turn - DS, white/dark green - PS, white/yellow
Parking/Running - DS, white/yellow - PS, white/grey
Old 11-22-2021, 07:03 PM   #14

When I wired my 19 Cherokee Trailhawk I did not split out the brake and turn signals. I had done that previously using the same method you did with a prior TOAD but just didnít see the advantage.

You may be seeing that both brake and turn signals are on at the same time triggered by the auxiliary braking system depressing the brake pedal. I installed a brake light relay that disables the brake light signal coming from the factory brake light switch. I wired the relay to energize and open up the brake light signal when the 12 volt charge line is active. I set the charge line up on the coach to be active when the ignition is on.
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cherokee, light, lights