RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-02-2019, 02:48 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
2019 Cherokee Limited - TOAD

I'm picking up a brand new 2019 Cherokee Limited with ADII Saturday.

Please, someone tell me that there is a better way to adapt the base plates rather than chopping up a brand new $40K+ vehicle.

I just brings tears to my eyes, when I think about having to hack up the metal parts, even more tears shed and all out bawling having to take a Dremel tool to the facia (I can just hear the DW once I start the process..."why are you doing that to our brand new car")

I can almost see chopping off the metal parts, never going to see that part of the vehicle again...but the plastic grill parts make me really sad.

Are there any aftermarket replacement parts for the grill, so rather than hacking at the plastic, it would be a simple snap-out - snap-in operation.

I'll hack it up if I have too...every video and article I've seen shows the need, but I thought ask just in case there is a clever way around butchering a brand new vehicle.

Ron
rmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2019, 02:52 PM   #2

Buying a used vehicle as a toad is a lot less upsetting when it comes to cutting away some of the front to accommodate tow points.

Oh well.......
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 02:54 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have a 2019 Lattitude Plus. Our baseplate fit thru the removable dummy plates. Yours may be in use for sensors. Talk to the base plate maker first. I will try to attach a pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	72DC6914-F486-4A28-A448-98F1662995AA.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	409.7 KB
ID:	244455  
Old 05-02-2019, 03:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgelesley View Post
We have a 2019 Lattitude Plus. Our baseplate fit thru the removable dummy plates. Yours may be in use for sensors. Talk to the base plate maker first. I will try to attach a pic.
Looks nice is that a blue ox set up
igapaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 03:03 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
This is encouraging. What type of baseplates are they?

ron
Old 05-02-2019, 03:06 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by igapaul View Post
Looks nice is that a blue ox set up
No, actually it is Demco. I went with them because their baseplate attachment point was the highest off the ground of the big three makers. Now that we have towed with it, I love it. Thanks for the complement.
Old 05-02-2019, 03:23 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
No, actually it is Demco. I went with them because their baseplate attachment point was the highest off the ground of the big three makers. Now that we have towed with it, I love it. Thanks for the complement.
I definitely will be taking a look at Demco. The Bounder hitch is pretty high, I have a drop from when we towed via a Demco Dolly.

Thanks a ton for your pic...

Ron
Old 05-02-2019, 03:35 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just watched the eTrailers video for the install...actually looks way less complex than some of the others.

There was no mention of grinding, cutting off metal parts...for sure the plastic has to be removed but at least they didn't mention any metal parts.

https://www.etrailer.com/Base-Plates...leID=201976263

They don't show the huge safety cable the other guys had either...

I'll probably give Demco a call.

Ron
Old 05-02-2019, 03:42 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmueller View Post
I definitely will be taking a look at Demco. The Bounder hitch is pretty high, I have a drop from when we towed via a Demco Dolly.

Thanks a ton for your pic...

Ron
We had a 8” drop for our previous car and tail drag was a problem. We did still use a 4” drop for the new Jeep, but it is up so high tail drag is not an issue. We also like the safety cables being attached to the tow bar and the rod to put the coiled electrical cord on. Very neat and easy, fast hookup and disconnect.

We had our Jeep done, light wiring, supplemental brakes, and baseplate installed in a shop in Matlock, IA about 10 miles from the Demco factory. When we needed a 4” drop he just called the factory and a friend of his dropped one off in a few minutes on his way home. Bruce, the installer has a neighbor who designs the baseplates for Demco. Good luck!
Old 05-03-2019, 08:13 AM   #10

It's only a hack job and butchering if a butcher and hacker does it. Need to trim some, sure, but it can be done right or wrong.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:36 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
So, I solved a couple of problems and concerns last night.

Decided to take a few mins and look over the used inventory in the area just for comparisons.

Amazingly, I found the exact same vehicle (color, options and all) with 4500 miles at a local dealer. The owner drove it over the winter, and they put it up for sale so he could get a newer one. Picked it up for $10k less than a brand new one.

So, now I don't feel as bad cutting out the facia plastic since it's actually a 'used' vehicle. Still going to tear up a little...

The Demco stuff by all appearances, seems to install without metal cutting. We shall see, as I'll probably go that route.

Now on to deciding about braking systems compatible with the Bounder (gas, wiring...etc.). Not sure what the utility of a permanent vs. 'portable' unit would be; any opinions?

Ron
Old 05-03-2019, 08:58 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
So, I solved a couple of problems and concerns last night.

Decided to take a few mins and look over the used inventory in the area just for comparisons.

Amazingly, I found the exact same vehicle (color, options and all) with 4500 miles at a local dealer. The owner drove it over the winter, and they put it up for sale so he could get a newer one. Picked it up for $10k less than a brand new one.

So, now I don't feel as bad cutting out the facia plastic since it's actually a 'used' vehicle. Still going to tear up a little...

The Demco stuff by all appearances, seems to install without metal cutting. We shall see, as I'll probably go that route.

Now on to deciding about braking systems compatible with the Bounder (gas, wiring...etc.). Not sure what the utility of a permanent vs. 'portable' unit would be; any opinions?

Ron
We have used a Brake Buddy in the past. Our last two vehicles we have used the SMI Duo Play. Much prefer the SMI system. Installing the Brake Buddy each time gets tedious. If it slips out of place even a bit, disaster can happen quickly. Read the forums, some love it, some have had horror stories.

The SMI system is completely adjustable to your preferences and in our experience, very reliable and easy to use. Once installed nearly invisible, and turning the on/off switch is all that is required to use other than clipping on the breakaway switch wire.

The BB pushes very hard on the brake pedal since the power brakes are not active. The SMI activates the power brake system so uses only normal pedal pressure.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:16 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I'm picking up a brand new 2019 Cherokee Limited with ADII Saturday.

Please, someone tell me that there is a better way to adapt the base plates rather than chopping up a brand new $40K+ vehicle.

I just brings tears to my eyes, when I think about having to hack up the metal parts, even more tears shed and all out bawling having to take a Dremel tool to the facia (I can just hear the DW once I start the process..."why are you doing that to our brand new car")

I can almost see chopping off the metal parts, never going to see that part of the vehicle again...but the plastic grill parts make me really sad.

Are there any aftermarket replacement parts for the grill, so rather than hacking at the plastic, it would be a simple snap-out - snap-in operation.

I'll hack it up if I have too...every video and article I've seen shows the need, but I thought ask just in case there is a clever way around butchering a brand new vehicle.

Ron
Here is my story ... based on using a blue ox base plate. Came out better than I was thinking it would. Just miss the red OME tow hooks.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/buyin...ml#post4747303

FLSteve
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 11:51 PM   #14

Quote:
I don't feel as bad cutting out the facia plastic since it's actually a 'used' vehicle. ...... install without metal cutting...... braking systems compatible with the Bounder (gas, wiring...etc.).
I cut very little of the plastic for the Toad light wiring. Just take your time; measure 3 times, etc. I'll have more 'concern' when I insetall the breakaway hardware.

No metal cutting at all with the Roadmaster 'plates' and eTrailer's videos are more effective than Missionaries in getting me to 'convert'.

I just received and tested a Brake Buddy Classic. It's much lighter than I expected and functions okay. The insertion/removal would be quicker w/o a power seat. I found the always-powered 12vdc outlet in the center console had sufficient current capability. BB support was exemplary, even sending a red button that this used unit was missing.

I await a BB 15A battery maintainer, though probably don't need it, according to experienced BB users. Their 2A seems like a why-bother unit.

Be aware, not all breakaway units work with all BB versions, if you intend to buy used.

I'm not entirely comfy tapping into the DP air brake lines for other approaches. The BB seems the simplest, for install and Toad mods req'd; a trade-off for the need to put in place when needed.

Tags
cherokee, toad