RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-02-2019, 02:48 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
rmueller's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Oconomowoc, WI
Posts: 395
2019 Cherokee Limited - TOAD

I'm picking up a brand new 2019 Cherokee Limited with ADII Saturday.

Please, someone tell me that there is a better way to adapt the base plates rather than chopping up a brand new $40K+ vehicle.

I just brings tears to my eyes, when I think about having to hack up the metal parts, even more tears shed and all out bawling having to take a Dremel tool to the facia (I can just hear the DW once I start the process..."why are you doing that to our brand new car")

I can almost see chopping off the metal parts, never going to see that part of the vehicle again...but the plastic grill parts make me really sad.

Are there any aftermarket replacement parts for the grill, so rather than hacking at the plastic, it would be a simple snap-out - snap-in operation.

I'll hack it up if I have too...every video and article I've seen shows the need, but I thought ask just in case there is a clever way around butchering a brand new vehicle.


Ron
__________________
Ron and Kitchy with
Scottie our tri-color Sheltie
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35k, 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited toad
rmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2019, 02:52 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
kenandterry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Southern Ontario, Canada
Posts: 630
Buying a used vehicle as a toad is a lot less upsetting when it comes to cutting away some of the front to accommodate tow points.

Oh well.......
__________________
kenandterry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S
Bye 2010 Georgetown 330TS after 10 terrific years, as we downsize for the next phase.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 02:54 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,040
We have a 2019 Lattitude Plus. Our baseplate fit thru the removable dummy plates. Yours may be in use for sensors. Talk to the base plate maker first. I will try to attach a pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	72DC6914-F486-4A28-A448-98F1662995AA.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	409.7 KB
ID:	244455  
__________________
2014 Itasca Sunova 33C, 2019 Jeep Cherokee Lattitude Plus toad, Demco tow bar, SMI braking system. 20 yr USAF ret.
georgelesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 03:02 PM   #4
Member
 
igapaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgelesley View Post
We have a 2019 Lattitude Plus. Our baseplate fit thru the removable dummy plates. Yours may be in use for sensors. Talk to the base plate maker first. I will try to attach a pic.
Looks nice is that a blue ox set up
igapaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 03:03 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
rmueller's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Oconomowoc, WI
Posts: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgelesley View Post
We have a 2019 Lattitude Plus. Our baseplate fit thru the removable dummy plates. Yours may be in use for sensors. Talk to the base plate maker first. I will try to attach a pic.
This is encouraging. What type of baseplates are they?

ron
__________________
Ron and Kitchy with
Scottie our tri-color Sheltie
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35k, 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited toad
rmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 03:06 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by igapaul View Post
Looks nice is that a blue ox set up
No, actually it is Demco. I went with them because their baseplate attachment point was the highest off the ground of the big three makers. Now that we have towed with it, I love it. Thanks for the complement.
__________________
2014 Itasca Sunova 33C, 2019 Jeep Cherokee Lattitude Plus toad, Demco tow bar, SMI braking system. 20 yr USAF ret.
georgelesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 03:23 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
rmueller's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Oconomowoc, WI
Posts: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgelesley View Post
No, actually it is Demco. I went with them because their baseplate attachment point was the highest off the ground of the big three makers. Now that we have towed with it, I love it. Thanks for the complement.
I definitely will be taking a look at Demco. The Bounder hitch is pretty high, I have a drop from when we towed via a Demco Dolly.

Thanks a ton for your pic...

Ron
__________________
Ron and Kitchy with
Scottie our tri-color Sheltie
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35k, 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited toad
rmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 03:35 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
rmueller's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Oconomowoc, WI
Posts: 395
Just watched the eTrailers video for the install...actually looks way less complex than some of the others.

There was no mention of grinding, cutting off metal parts...for sure the plastic has to be removed but at least they didn't mention any metal parts.

https://www.etrailer.com/Base-Plates...leID=201976263

They don't show the huge safety cable the other guys had either...

I'll probably give Demco a call.

Ron
__________________
Ron and Kitchy with
Scottie our tri-color Sheltie
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35k, 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited toad
rmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 03:42 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmueller View Post
I definitely will be taking a look at Demco. The Bounder hitch is pretty high, I have a drop from when we towed via a Demco Dolly.

Thanks a ton for your pic...

Ron
We had a 8” drop for our previous car and tail drag was a problem. We did still use a 4” drop for the new Jeep, but it is up so high tail drag is not an issue. We also like the safety cables being attached to the tow bar and the rod to put the coiled electrical cord on. Very neat and easy, fast hookup and disconnect.

We had our Jeep done, light wiring, supplemental brakes, and baseplate installed in a shop in Matlock, IA about 10 miles from the Demco factory. When we needed a 4” drop he just called the factory and a friend of his dropped one off in a few minutes on his way home. Bruce, the installer has a neighbor who designs the baseplates for Demco. Good luck!
__________________
2014 Itasca Sunova 33C, 2019 Jeep Cherokee Lattitude Plus toad, Demco tow bar, SMI braking system. 20 yr USAF ret.
georgelesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:13 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Pigman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,464
It's only a hack job and butchering if a butcher and hacker does it. Need to trim some, sure, but it can be done right or wrong.
__________________
Pigman
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500 Toad
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:36 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
rmueller's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Oconomowoc, WI
Posts: 395
So, I solved a couple of problems and concerns last night.

Decided to take a few mins and look over the used inventory in the area just for comparisons.

Amazingly, I found the exact same vehicle (color, options and all) with 4500 miles at a local dealer. The owner drove it over the winter, and they put it up for sale so he could get a newer one. Picked it up for $10k less than a brand new one.

So, now I don't feel as bad cutting out the facia plastic since it's actually a 'used' vehicle. Still going to tear up a little...

The Demco stuff by all appearances, seems to install without metal cutting. We shall see, as I'll probably go that route.

Now on to deciding about braking systems compatible with the Bounder (gas, wiring...etc.). Not sure what the utility of a permanent vs. 'portable' unit would be; any opinions?

Ron
__________________
Ron and Kitchy with
Scottie our tri-color Sheltie
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35k, 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited toad
rmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:58 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmueller View Post
So, I solved a couple of problems and concerns last night.

Decided to take a few mins and look over the used inventory in the area just for comparisons.

Amazingly, I found the exact same vehicle (color, options and all) with 4500 miles at a local dealer. The owner drove it over the winter, and they put it up for sale so he could get a newer one. Picked it up for $10k less than a brand new one.

So, now I don't feel as bad cutting out the facia plastic since it's actually a 'used' vehicle. Still going to tear up a little...

The Demco stuff by all appearances, seems to install without metal cutting. We shall see, as I'll probably go that route.

Now on to deciding about braking systems compatible with the Bounder (gas, wiring...etc.). Not sure what the utility of a permanent vs. 'portable' unit would be; any opinions?

Ron
We have used a Brake Buddy in the past. Our last two vehicles we have used the SMI Duo Play. Much prefer the SMI system. Installing the Brake Buddy each time gets tedious. If it slips out of place even a bit, disaster can happen quickly. Read the forums, some love it, some have had horror stories.

The SMI system is completely adjustable to your preferences and in our experience, very reliable and easy to use. Once installed nearly invisible, and turning the on/off switch is all that is required to use other than clipping on the breakaway switch wire.

The BB pushes very hard on the brake pedal since the power brakes are not active. The SMI activates the power brake system so uses only normal pedal pressure.
__________________
2014 Itasca Sunova 33C, 2019 Jeep Cherokee Lattitude Plus toad, Demco tow bar, SMI braking system. 20 yr USAF ret.
georgelesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 10:16 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
FLSteve's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Fort Myers, FL
Posts: 1,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmueller View Post
I'm picking up a brand new 2019 Cherokee Limited with ADII Saturday.

Please, someone tell me that there is a better way to adapt the base plates rather than chopping up a brand new $40K+ vehicle.

I just brings tears to my eyes, when I think about having to hack up the metal parts, even more tears shed and all out bawling having to take a Dremel tool to the facia (I can just hear the DW once I start the process..."why are you doing that to our brand new car")

I can almost see chopping off the metal parts, never going to see that part of the vehicle again...but the plastic grill parts make me really sad.

Are there any aftermarket replacement parts for the grill, so rather than hacking at the plastic, it would be a simple snap-out - snap-in operation.

I'll hack it up if I have too...every video and article I've seen shows the need, but I thought ask just in case there is a clever way around butchering a brand new vehicle.


Ron
Here is my story ... based on using a blue ox base plate. Came out better than I was thinking it would. Just miss the red OME tow hooks.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/buyin...ml#post4747303

FLSteve
__________________
Steve & Lisa
2019 Dutch Star 4018
2018 JL Rubicon & 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 11:51 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: SoOC
Posts: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmueller View Post
I don't feel as bad cutting out the facia plastic since it's actually a 'used' vehicle. ...... install without metal cutting...... braking systems compatible with the Bounder (gas, wiring...etc.).
I cut very little of the plastic for the Toad light wiring. Just take your time; measure 3 times, etc. I'll have more 'concern' when I insetall the breakaway hardware.


No metal cutting at all with the Roadmaster 'plates' and eTrailer's videos are more effective than Missionaries in getting me to 'convert'.


I just received and tested a Brake Buddy Classic. It's much lighter than I expected and functions okay. The insertion/removal would be quicker w/o a power seat. I found the always-powered 12vdc outlet in the center console had sufficient current capability. BB support was exemplary, even sending a red button that this used unit was missing.



I await a BB 15A battery maintainer, though probably don't need it, according to experienced BB users. Their 2A seems like a why-bother unit.


Be aware, not all breakaway units work with all BB versions, if you intend to buy used.


I'm not entirely comfy tapping into the DP air brake lines for other approaches. The BB seems the simplest, for install and Toad mods req'd; a trade-off for the need to put in place when needed.
__________________
2007 Alpine SE 34FDDS + Cherokee Trailhawk
whalepirot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cherokee, toad



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8 As A Toad PNWGirl Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 5 04-19-2019 11:21 AM
Jeep Cherokee Overland 4 x 4 Active II :: 2019 Jeep Cherokee Overland Tpguess iRV2 Owners Registry 0 07-05-2018 01:50 PM
Still toad shopping... 2016 Grand Cherokee Limited Cuffemdude Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 8 09-13-2017 10:19 AM
2017 Ford F-550 what is “non-limited” slip v “limited” slip Axle and Electronic locki Rvlegaleagle Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum 2 03-06-2017 12:37 PM
2015 Jeep Cherokee Limited Ready for Toad Duty! BPoland Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 11 04-18-2015 06:19 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.