Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-19-2022, 08:04 PM   #1

2019 Chevrolet Equinox procedure

What is the procedure for shutting car down after putting car in neutral,depress starter button how many times after turning engine off. Having problems with battery draining. Is there a fuse I need to take out?
ixtapamayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2022, 08:24 PM   #2

I have a 2020 equinox ended polls about 7 A while in tow mode. You need to connect a charge wire from your motorhome to the battery on the equinox. Be sure you have at least a number 10 wire for ground and positive. My connection is coming from the 17 connector on the rear of my Tiffin allegro bus
Rodzent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 07:25 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtapamayor View Post
What is the procedure for shutting car down after putting car in neutral,depress starter button how many times after turning engine off. Having problems with battery draining. Is there a fuse I need to take out?
Wouldn't the Owners Manual tell you that?
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 07:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtapamayor View Post
See page 355 of the owner's manual for dinghy (flat) towing procedure: https://www.ownersmanualhub.com/wp-c...nox-Manual.pdf

Depress the starter button once to put it into accessory mode. Turn off auxiliary power consumers like the radio. Install a trickle charger powered by the rv to avoid draining the battery.
Old 05-22-2022, 06:11 PM   #5
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp CA
See page 355 of the owner's manual for dinghy (flat) towing procedure: https://www.ownersmanualhub.com/wp-c...nox-Manual.pdf

Depress the starter button once to put it into accessory mode. Turn off auxiliary power consumers like the radio. Install a trickle charger powered by the rv to avoid draining the battery.
A "trickle" charger will not work. The Equinox draws almost 8 amps from the battery when configured in towing mode, far more current than most cars and far more than a trickle charger can deliver.

If the charge line is not capable of delivering 8 amps then the battery will be discharging while being towed.

Ray
Old 05-23-2022, 07:14 AM   #6

This is what I have to charge to battery while flat towing............an installed Rvibrake towed battery charger plus for flat towing?

https://rvibrake.com/en-ca/products/...20(catch%20all)
Old 05-24-2022, 06:25 AM   #7
NXR

Quote:
This is what I have to charge to battery while flat towing............an installed Rvibrake towed battery charger plus for flat towing?
Interesting. Your signature shows you have a 2021 Equinox while I have a 2020 Equinox. The RVi Towed Battery Charger failed miserably on mine and RVi later revised their instructions to say that the rear windshield fuse needs pulled only on an Equinox to keep the battery charged.

The TBC could only deliver about 3 or 4 amps of current while the Equinox was drawing almost 8 amps so the car battery slowly went dead over a few hours.

I wonder if Chevy made some kind of fix for the 2021 and later model years.

Have you ever put a clamp-on ammeter on the battery to see how much current it draws from the battery when set up for towing?

Ray
Old 05-24-2022, 03:36 PM   #8

I have responded several times to others on this topic and recommended the LSL Toad Charge system. No need to pull fuses or periodically start the toad. You can drive forever and battery will not die. Get itů it works!
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 08:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
........RVi later revised their instructions to say that the rear windshield fuse needs pulled only on an Equinox to keep the battery charged. The TBC could only deliver about 3 or 4 amps of current while the Equinox was drawing almost 8 amps so the car battery slowly went dead over a few hours.................Have you ever put a clamp-on ammeter on the battery to see how much current it draws from the battery when set up for towing?....
You are correct that the Rvi website https://rvibrake.com/collections/sho...y-charger-plus says "NOTE: Towed Battery Charger Plus is compatible with all 12 volt batteries including trailers. 2019-present Chevy Equinox must pull rear windshield wiper fuse." Going to check the amp draw in tow mode before the next trip with and without the rear wiper fuse pulled. Pulling the rear wiper is no big deal since I don't use it. Oddly enough, when I put the ignition in accessory and turned the rear wiper to ON with the fuse in.........no power to the rear wiper but front wipers work.
Old 05-25-2022, 03:20 PM   #10
NXR

Quote:
You are correct that the Rvi website https://rvibrake.com/collections/sho...y-charger-plus says "NOTE: Towed Battery Charger Plus is compatible with all 12 volt batteries including trailers. 2019-present Chevy Equinox must pull rear windshield wiper fuse." Going to check the amp draw in tow mode before the next trip with and without the rear wiper fuse pulled. Pulling the rear wiper is no big deal since I don't use it. Oddly enough, when I put the ignition in accessory and turned the rear wiper to ON with the fuse in.........no power to the rear wiper but front wipers work.
That recommendation always bothered me. If it truly was the rear windshield wiper alone, that would mean the windshield wiper was pulling multiple amps when not doing anything and that simply is not going to happen.

Let's say the rear windshield wiper was pulling 4 of those 8 amps. That would mean the rear windshield wiper was dissipating about 50 watts of heat. Ever touched a 40-watt light bulb? It's hot. But the rear windshield wiper is not even warm.

I suspect, and it's only a guess, that RVi started pulling fuses until the current draw dropped a lot. My guess is that pulling that fuse is killing part of the Body Control Module (BCM) and there's no telling what is really happening.

Plus, the 2018 was the first model year of the redesign. Why is that recommendation only for 2019 and later?

I dunno so I ditched the RVi TBC entirely and just jumpered it out and my battery has never been run down since.

Ray