RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-26-2020, 10:13 AM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFINIT View Post
The 2019... Edge/Lincoln have a new 8 speed transmission, so the requirements are different from previous years.
I know that. I was responding to the quote in my post.That's why I chose the 2018 owners manual.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2020, 11:43 AM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
I know that. I was responding to the quote in my post.That's why I chose the 2018 owners manual.
I get it now!
RUFINIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 05:54 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesslvm View Post
I don't limit my time or miles. I don't start the vehicle until I'm disconnected, even if that is several days of towing it and making quick over night stops.
I'm going with this plan unless additional input from Ford is discovered. We will see...
DBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 02:37 PM   #116

New here but thanks to all the great advice we've not had any problems towing our 2019 Edge ST. The only thing we have not done is exceed 6 hrs. of towing time which is beginning to sound like that was intended for previous years. Great site!!
Bob in Bend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 08:04 PM   #117

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojayhawks View Post
Thanks Gents now I understand. Since my toad brake system is the Readybrake built in to the tow bar I wouldn't need any 12v for anything so I could skip the charge line if I end up with a ST.

We are picking up out 20 Edge ST tomorrow and will have the Blue Ox base plate installed and use our existing ReadyBrake as well as we did on our 10 CRV for the last 10 years.
I had to run a charge line to my CRV battery because the battery would die at times even after shutting everything off. I attributed that to the car brakes engaging and using the car brake lights so I will likely install a disconnect.
I would prefer to put the disconnect inside the car because I drive 8-10hrs a day and will stop at the 5-6 hr interval.

Ideas?
Old 09-07-2020, 08:21 PM   #118

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have a 2020 Edge ST.
Our battery disconnect is under the hood.

When I go through the towing procedure I open the hood. Some of the last things I do is turn the battery disconnect, close the hood, and then hook up my lights / power cable from MH to the Edge.

I reverse the procedure to unhook. First disconnect power / light cable, then open the hood and turn the battery disconnect switch back to on. That way the Edge has power for a few minutes while I go through the rest of the unhook procedure.

I have towed my Edge about 5,000 miles now with no issues. Several times I have went above 6 hours. 12 hours in some cases.

I stopped going through the procedure mid trip a couple months ago. No issues.

I do wish my battery disconnect switch did not require me to open the hood but doing this to hook up and unhook takes just seconds now that I have the hang of it.

Good luck with the Edge. The towing procedure is kind of a pain. If I had the choice to make over again I might not go with the Edge but I don’t dislike the procedure enough to change tow vehicles. I still don’t like the pull the orange strap process. I get down and look at it with a flash light because I don’t trust it.

I also make sure the parking break is off before I turn the battery disconnect to off. Then when we do a blinkers and brake light check we also pull forward and make sure the wheels are turning.

Hal and Pam
2017 Entegra Cornerstone - B
2020 Ford Edge ST
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 10:08 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixguy View Post
We are picking up out 20 Edge ST tomorrow and will have the Blue Ox base plate installed and use our existing ReadyBrake as well as we did on our 10 CRV for the last 10 years.
I had to run a charge line to my CRV battery because the battery would die at times even after shutting everything off. I attributed that to the car brakes engaging and using the car brake lights so I will likely install a disconnect.
I would prefer to put the disconnect inside the car because I drive 8-10hrs a day and will stop at the 5-6 hr interval.

Ideas?
Roadmaster makes a good disconnect. My button was installed under the dash near the hood release. I put on my checklist to roll all the windows up before I hit the battery disconnect!
Old 09-08-2020, 12:32 PM   #120

2019 Edge Parking Brakes

I've had the parking brakes come on when towing before I knew better and started disconnecting the battery. What I want to know is, isn't there some way to disable the parking brakes. It would be convenient if there was a fuse, but I haven't located one. Maybe a switch could be put in the power line. I should get the wiring diagram but without buying the shop manual I don't have access to one.

Does anyone have any ideas about this? Is there any reason it would be a bad idea?

Bill
W.O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 12:41 PM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.O. View Post
I've had the parking brakes come on when towing before I knew better and started disconnecting the battery. What I want to know is, isn't there some way to disable the parking brakes. It would be convenient if there was a fuse, but I haven't located one. Maybe a switch could be put in the power line. I should get the wiring diagram but without buying the shop manual I don't have access to one.

Does anyone have any ideas about this? Is there any reason it would be a bad idea?

Bill
Bill, Don't know of a way to disable the parking brake. But that is why the battery should be disconnected. Using the disconnect switch makes it a one second solution. The only thing I have to re-adjust on the Lincoln is the clock (it does not recognize Daylight saving time) after reconnecting the battery with the button under the dash. You do have to wait a minute or so before starting the engine to let it cycle thru settings or you get a code.
Old 09-08-2020, 06:38 PM   #122

National RV Owners Club
2019 Ford Edge ST

We picked up the Edge today and the dealer body shop will put on the base plate. They charge $48hr and they're used to taking the facade apart.

I'm considering this disconnect because of the remote on/off.

WATERWICH 12V Car Wireless Remote Control Battery Disconnect Switch Cut/Shut Off Marine Battery Switch 180Amp Electromagnetic Valve Terminal System for Van RV Small Truck Agricultural Vehicle (12V) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RZZXY7Y..._AubwFb2065006
Old 09-08-2020, 06:46 PM   #123

Quote:
We picked up the Edge today and the dealer body shop will put on the base plate. They charge $48hr and they're used to taking the facade apart.

I'm considering this disconnect because of the remote on/off.

WATERWICH 12V Car Wireless Remote Control Battery Disconnect Switch Cut/Shut Off Marine Battery Switch 180Amp Electromagnetic Valve Terminal System for Van RV Small Truck Agricultural Vehicle (12V) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RZZXY7Y..._AubwFb2065006
That looks like a good option. It is much less money than the Roadmaster and easier to install, since no wire to fish thru the firewall to the interior of the car. Let us know how it works out.
Old 11-16-2020, 04:53 PM   #124

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFINIT View Post
That looks like a good option. It is much less money than the Roadmaster and easier to install, since no wire to fish thru the firewall to the interior of the car. Let us know how it works out.

I ended up buying and fishing the Roadmaster. It has worked well on the 6 trips we've taken since installation.

I have had times when the Edge rear wheels locked up so I've gotten to where I disengage the emergency brake and hit the disconnect immediately.
Old 11-28-2020, 07:00 PM   #125

National RV Owners Club
2019 Ford Edge ST

So I'm having an issue with my 20 Edge lights when towing.

I hook up as instructed and after releasing emergency brake, I hit the Roadmaster disconnect switch and that has worked well.

My issue is with the tail lights....I've installed the diodes behind the lights as instructed by Roadmaster. I always test the lights on the toad with the accessory on at the MH while the car is warming up the 5 minutes and all works fine. But I checked this morning after hitting the disconnect and all the rear lights flash like a cop car and then the parking lights aren't lit.

Anyone else have issues with their diode connected rears being sent from the MH?
Old 12-12-2020, 07:09 PM   #126

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
So I'm having an issue with my 20 Edge lights when towing.

I hook up as instructed and after releasing emergency brake, I hit the Roadmaster disconnect switch and that has worked well.

My issue is with the tail lights....I've installed the diodes behind the lights as instructed by Roadmaster. I always test the lights on the toad with the accessory on at the MH while the car is warming up the 5 minutes and all works fine. But I checked this morning after hitting the disconnect and all the rear lights flash like a cop car and then the parking lights aren't lit.

Anyone else have issues with their diode connected rears being sent from the MH?

Update. There was a missing wire off the rear taillights. All set

Tags
ford