Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2020, 04:47 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by azelnio View Post
Will do. Got dealer asking also and will next after we get on the road whether we mess up our transmission or not.
So its has been a month. How did it work out?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2020, 05:33 PM   #100

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have been towing my 2020 Ford Edge ST without any issues.

Some lessons learned:

I hook the Edge to the motorhome first. Unhook it last.

I don’t set parking brake. I do make sure parking brake is not set after pulling and locking orange strap.

I use a yoga mat on the ground to kneel down to look at the orange strap. And a small flashlight. I need to look at the strap / cable to verify it is perfect in the lock position.

Then I disconnect battery via a disconnect switch after turning ignition off.

I make sure via co-pilot that wheels are not turning before we pull away.

Turn battery on a couple minutes before starting the Edge.

What I don’t like about the Edge for a tow vehicle.

The orange strap procedure. It is a bit of a pain and I fear the cable failing or slipping out of locking slot when I am towing.

Having to open the hood to turn battery disconnect switch off the later back on.

Can’t lock the doors when battery switch is off.

Can’t lift the tailgate when battery switch is off.

Overall now that we have the process down it is working good.

I still tow max of 5.5 hours then stop and run the Edge 5 minutes. And repeat the process.
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 04:46 AM   #101

Thank you for the help.
mike2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 04:27 PM   #102

I have hooked and disconnected approx 16 times now for approx 3000 miles now without problem. So far so good. I know others have stated but so far:

1. I hook the car before pulling the cable so it can't run away.
2. I am not very concerned about the cable breaking. There are a lot of places on motocross bikes, mountain bikes and cars I have trusted my life with similar gauge cables. The plastic slot lock is a bit of concern but I will just replace it if it starts to look/feel worn down the road. I am always deliberate when I pull the cable to avoid rubbing and wear.
3. I hid a waterproof switch for the roadmaster battery disconnect on the exterior of the car. I can use my fob to lock to doors etc once I exit and lock I hit the switch. I always slightly roll the back tire after the battery disconnect. Just to make sure there is a little movement. I already use gloves to hook up and it only takes a sec to verify that the parking brake did not set.
4. Once the battery is disconnected I find hard to believe that the parking brake could randomly come on.
5. Once I disconnect if I am in a hurry and start the ST too soon I get a check engine light. It goes out after 3-4 key starts. no big deal.
6. So far I have stuck to stopping before 6 hours as instructed. Really not a big deal since I usually need a break, dogs need a break or fuel etc.

All in all I am very happy with my ST choice. I went from a wrangler to the ST. For me it is a much better ride all around. After 2-3 hookups I find that it only 1-2 minutes longer to hook. No big deal.

I hope I don't run into issues down road but so far so good! I hope this helps someone out there...
DBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 08:03 AM   #103

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Where are you finding a recommended 6 hours? I don't find this in the manual?
Wesslvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 12:18 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesslvm View Post
Where are you finding a recommended 6 hours? I don't find this in the manual?
I can’t seem to find it either. Perhaps I assumed that it was the case since it is listed in the 2020 dinghy guide here:

https://images.goodsam.com/newmotorhome/towguides/DinghyGuide2020.pdf

Special Procedures: Start the engine and allow it to run for 5 minutes at the beginning of each day and every 6 hours thereafter. Activate Manual Park Release (MPR) — refer to owner’s manual to follow procedure.

Perhaps goodsam made it up. Does anyone else have additional info?
DBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 06:20 AM   #105

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
2019 Ford Edge ST

Those instructions are in the manual for my 2017 Fusion, which has the 2.7l ecoboost and 6 speed transmission. I read that this it to ensure transmission lubrication. It think Edge and Fusion shared drivetrain components. Maybe the cable in the 2019 Edge disengages the drivetrain differently. I do know that there is a way to disengage the drivetrain on my Fusion when it is stuck in park. I saw it done by a Ford tech from under the hood when the shifter knob failed and the car had to be skidded into a flatbed.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 05:47 PM   #106

starting the engine after 6 hours....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBennett View Post
I can’t seem to find it either. Perhaps I assumed that it was the case since it is listed in the 2020 dinghy guide here:

https://images.goodsam.com/newmotorh...yGuide2020.pdf

Special Procedures: Start the engine and allow it to run for 5 minutes at the beginning of each day and every 6 hours thereafter. Activate Manual Park Release (MPR) — refer to owner’s manual to follow procedure.

Perhaps goodsam made it up. Does anyone else have additional info?
I have communicated with another member on this board, who had received information from a Lincoln corporate tech. The tech responded to a dealer tech who asked a number of questions about towing. Below is his response regarding starting the car after a period of time towing.

"In the past, the note to allow the car to run for some time after 6 hours of towing was to allow transmission oil to circulate through the transmission and lubricate the internal components/bearing/bushings. The 8F57 does not note this is necessary. If the customer choses to, the tether would likely have to be returned to the “park” position for the Nautilus to start. There is no mention of allowing the car to idle at this time to lubricate the internal transmission components so the customer does not have to perform this step if they chose not to."

I towed our Nautilus two days in a row without starting the car before the beginning of the second day. And I had no problems.

If anyone would like the entire letter from the Lincoln corporate tech, you can PM me and I will send it to you. It is three pages long in a Word document, so a bit long to post here.
RUFINIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 06:06 AM   #107

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The 2020 Ford RV and Trailer Towing Guide does state the requirement to start engine every 6 hours on page 13.
Old 07-24-2020, 07:56 AM   #108

I don't limit my time or miles. I don't start the vehicle until I'm disconnected, even if that is several days of towing it and making quick over night stops.
Old 07-24-2020, 07:57 AM   #109

I suspect this is a carry over from previous Fords and not applicable.

There is nothing I can find in any Ford documentation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJAG View Post
The 2020 Ford RV and Trailer Towing Guide does state the requirement to start engine every 6 hours on page 13.
Old 07-25-2020, 09:13 AM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesslvm View Post
I suspect this is a carry over from previous Fords and not applicable.

There is nothing I can find in any Ford documentation.
The 2018 owners manual has the 6 hours in it.
Interestingly it says at the start of the day or after 6 hours, start it up and shift from N to D then to R and back to N.
Other manufacturers say to always go from D to N last, not R to N.
Just thought that was a little odd, but what do I know...
Old 07-25-2020, 07:39 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
The 2018 owners manual has the 6 hours in it.
Interestingly it says at the start of the day or after 6 hours, start it up and shift from N to D then to R and back to N.
Other manufacturers say to always go from D to N last, not R to N.
Just thought that was a little odd, but what do I know...
The 2019... Edge/Lincoln have a new 8 speed transmission, so the requirements are different from previous years.
RUFINIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 04:30 AM   #112

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I towed or was stopped for lunch for a total of about 7 1/2 hours yesterday. I did not start my 2020 Edge on the trip.

This is the first time I have done that. No issues. Vehicle started just fine and seems to be fine.
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford