Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2019, 03:55 PM   #1

2019 Honda Accord

We are looking to swap out our 2015 Wrangler Unlimited for a more practical daily driver and I recently learned that the 2019 Accord in a manual transmission can be flat towed.

We have a RoadMaster Sterling tow bar.

Initial research says that we cannot use the RoadMaster for a car that has Honda Sensing. It is something that we want on the new car and it’s included.

Is anyone out there using a 2019 manual Accord as a toad, and if so what are you using for a tow bar/baseplate?

TIA
RVLola is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2019, 09:41 PM   #2

When you say that you can't "use the Roadmaster for a car that has Honda Sensing," where are you seeing that?

I know that the Roadmaster instructions say "No Adaptive Cruise Control" but I'm wondering if that is a misprint. The reason I say that is I believe Honda relocated the Accord's ACC radar for the 2018-19 model years so it now shouldn't interfere with baseplate intallation ...I'm not absolutely sure but I thought I read that somewhere.

The Honda Sensing is standard equipment for the 2019 Accord models and since ACC is part of Honda Sensing, I'm not sure why Roadmaster is saying that. After all, they show an illustration of an installation on a 2018-19 Accord ...go HERE

But even if not, Blue Ox specifically says that their baseplates include installation with Adaptive Cruise Control. Therefore, if Roadmaster confirms that their baseplate will in fact NOT fit the Accord (again, they show a photo of one and all 2019 Accords have Honda Sensing), you can always install Blue Ox brackets and may be able to use the Roadmaster adapter 031-5 which "adapts all ROADMASTER Nighthawk and Sterling tow bars (with serial numbers above 14,500) and BlackHawk All-Terrain tow bars (with serial numbers above 16,500) to Blue Ox baseplates."

Call Roadmaster and ask them about it. My hunch is that they will tell you that their brackets will work ...or hopefully so.
(360) 896-0407 or (800) 669-9690

Or we can wait to see if anybody responds that is using a 2019 Honda Accord Sport as a toad to see what they did.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:07 PM   #3

Theroc - thanks for the thorough reply. My husband said he found it while searching for info online. I don’t know where.

I will call RM tomorrow and follow up. I will update here if I get a straight answer.
Old 04-23-2019, 01:32 PM   #4

Roadmaster says NO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVLola View Post
Theroc - thanks for the thorough reply. My husband said he found it while searching for info online. I don’t know where.

I will call RM tomorrow and follow up. I will update here if I get a straight answer.

I talked to Roadmaster just now and was told that their base plate does fit the 1.5T Sport edition, which is what we are looking at. She then added that the baseplate does not work on a car with Adaptive Cruise Control.

But this does not make any sense as the ACC is standard in this model. I have called back and left a message for someone who might have a better answer for me. I will keep you posted.
Old 04-23-2019, 01:46 PM   #5

RVLola....

Pay very close attention in the selection of your toad vehicle. So far, Ive heard you having ongoing conversations with Roadmaster about you can/cannot have the Honda as your toad.

HAVE YOU SEEN ANYWHERE IN THE HONDA OWNERS MANUAL THAT THE SPECIFIC VEHICLE CAN BE TOWED ALL FOUR WHEELS DOWN?

Roadmaster makes Towing related hardware....they don’t make the vehicle.

Just sayin’.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 04:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
RVLola....

Pay very close attention in the selection of your toad vehicle. So far, Ive heard you having ongoing conversations with Roadmaster about you can/cannot have the Honda as your toad.

HAVE YOU SEEN ANYWHERE IN THE HONDA OWNERS MANUAL THAT THE SPECIFIC VEHICLE CAN BE TOWED ALL FOUR WHEELS DOWN?

Roadmaster makes Towing related hardware....they don’t make the vehicle.

Just sayin’.

I checked that for her on a previous post she made in another thread.

Page 463-464 (attached) in the 2019 Honda Accord owner's manual addresses towing behind a motorhome. go HERE for 2019 Honda Accord Owner's Manual in PDF

The 2019 Honda Accord Sport is also listed in the Dinghy Towing guides of FMCA and Motorhome Magazine as being towable 4-down with a manual transmission.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 Accord manual p463.png
Views:	88
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	243319   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 Accord manual p464.png
Views:	71
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	243320  

Old 04-23-2019, 04:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVLola View Post
I talked to Roadmaster just now and was told that their base plate does fit the 1.5T Sport edition, which is what we are looking at. She then added that the baseplate does not work on a car with Adaptive Cruise Control.

But this does not make any sense as the ACC is standard in this model. I have called back and left a message for someone who might have a better answer for me. I will keep you posted.
Yes, keep us posted as now you've got me curious.

As I said previously, it doesn't make sense.

1. All 2019 Accords will have Honda Sensing which includes Adaptive Cruise Control

2. They show a photo of an Accord with the baseplates installed

Ask to talk with one of the engineers there at Roadmaster to confirm for sure if she comes back and says the same thing.

I'm trying to find where I read that Honda relocated the radar for the ACC for model year 2018 and 2019. There was a period of a few years where you couldn't install baseplates on an Accord because of the interference of the radar location. I'll let you know if I find it.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:13 PM   #8

Thanks to everyone for urging me to be careful before buying the car, to ensure it will work. That would have been very disappointing.

I got a message from Linda saying the following:

Yes, the bracket will fit. In fact I started writing up the paperwork to include the 19 with adaptive cruise control. The bracket number is 521572-45 (or maybe 405) and we actually did do a fit out in the filed on one with ACC. They changed the sensor part number from 18 to 19.

It does work with ACC. You are good to go.

However, I have since done some more shopping and I really like the Cherokee Trailhawk Eite as well so I need to do more thinking.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:30 PM   #9

Thanks for clearing that up. It gives this thread a good reference for anybody else that may be thinking about this particular toad.

Cherokees are 100x (?) more popular as a toad than an Accord. Most don't want manual transmission vehicles anymore so an Accord is definitely not a popular toad. Since I only buy manual transmission vehicles, I'd never us a Cherokee myself but I'm sure you'd have an easy time when it comes to selling a Cherokee to another RVer than you would an Accord.

Good luck with the new Jeep!
Old 01-27-2020, 02:56 PM   #10

RVLola, did you end up buying an Accord? We are planning to start towing our 2019 2.0T with manual transmission in the near future. Looking to hear from anyone that's used one as a toad.
BJLinKaty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
honda