Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2019, 11:28 AM   #29

Towed it

Well, I towed it. We went to Nashville this weekend. It is a 500 mile round trip. The Odyssey did well. I watched as the DW maneuvered out of the RV park with the turns and what not. One thing that I noticed is that the dolly does not turn as tight as my previous tow dolly or the car 4 down. What I mean is that when I make a turn I would try to leave space for the towed vehicle to get around the corner so it would not hit a curb or something. With the Acme it seems to not cut as close or track quite a tight as the other things that I have pulled. And I like that. It gives me a little cushion when turning.

Back to the main point, the only thing that I noticed with the Odyssey is that when I went to start the car it took about 2 or 3 seconds to start. This is odd because normally it starts very quickly when the button is pushed. It did this both times after towing it. Not sure if this is an issue or what is causing this to happen. If anyone else has experienced please post.

Thanks,
superiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2019, 06:21 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by superiman View Post
Well, I towed it. We went to Nashville this weekend. It is a 500 mile round trip. The Odyssey did well. I watched as the DW maneuvered out of the RV park with the turns and what not. One thing that I noticed is that the dolly does not turn as tight as my previous tow dolly or the car 4 down. What I mean is that when I make a turn I would try to leave space for the towed vehicle to get around the corner so it would not hit a curb or something. With the Acme it seems to not cut as close or track quite a tight as the other things that I have pulled. And I like that. It gives me a little cushion when turning.

Back to the main point, the only thing that I noticed with the Odyssey is that when I went to start the car it took about 2 or 3 seconds to start. This is odd because normally it starts very quickly when the button is pushed. It did this both times after towing it. Not sure if this is an issue or what is causing this to happen. If anyone else has experienced please post.

Thanks,
I’m also considering flat towing my 2018 Honda Odyssey. Did you pull the fuse for the electric parking brake and how did you secure the steering wheel from turning while towing? I cannot find the fuse location in the manual for the parking brake.
Tillerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 07:55 AM   #31
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillerman View Post
I’m also considering flat towing my 2018 Honda Odyssey. Did you pull the fuse for the electric parking brake and how did you secure the steering wheel from turning while towing? I cannot find the fuse location in the manual for the parking brake.
In an earlier post I believe he stated that he bought an Acme dolly and is not flat towing.

The Acme EZE Tow Dolly mandates that the steering wheel must be unlocked. I have one and tow a Sonata on it and that steering wheel will not lock.

There are other considerations when flat towing if the owner's manual says to not flat tow, not just whether it seems to tow well and runs at the other end. For example, some earlier Ford vehicles mandate that the automatic transmission fluid level must be lowered or transmission damage could occur.

Those initially said they could be flat towed then a revision came out and said they had to have the transmission fluid level lowered and I think a modified dipstick was provided. I'd guess the fluid was getting blown out of the dipstick and then the transmission was running too low but do not know for certain.

Others say to run the vehicle XX minutes every XX hours to circulate transmission fluid.

FWIW,

Ray
Old 11-29-2019, 06:42 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
In an earlier post I believe he stated that he bought an Acme dolly and is not flat towing.

The Acme EZE Tow Dolly mandates that the steering wheel must be unlocked. I have one and tow a Sonata on it and that steering wheel will not lock.

There are other considerations when flat towing if the owner's manual says to not flat tow, not just whether it seems to tow well and runs at the other end. For example, some earlier Ford vehicles mandate that the automatic transmission fluid level must be lowered or transmission damage could occur.

Those initially said they could be flat towed then a revision came out and said they had to have the transmission fluid level lowered and I think a modified dipstick was provided. I'd guess the fluid was getting blown out of the dipstick and then the transmission was running too low but do not know for certain.

Others say to run the vehicle XX minutes every XX hours to circulate transmission fluid.

FWIW,

Ray
You’re right, that was a brain fart moment. I meant to inquire about dolly towing. I probably typed “flat” because that’s all I’ve ever done and it’s stuck in my mind. I plan on dolly towing my Odyssey.
Tillerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 11:19 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by superiman View Post

Thanks,
Would love to hear any further test results as I would love to tow my 2019, Did you pull fuses, Acme tow dolly right? Thanks in advance...
fleatools is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, honda