Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2018, 01:33 PM   #1

2019 Jeep Cherokee Doesn’t Need Flat Tow Wiring Harness

...despite the manual saying it does.

A poster in another thread posted a case (#S1823000031, dated 5/22/18) saying so. Still need 4wd and Active Drive II for flat towing.

My dealer wasn’t aware and installed it for me (for free). I checked and they said I can just not use it...don’t install fuse or flip switch.

Maybe in a couple more years they’ll update the manual.
LarryinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2018, 03:06 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This thread with all the pertinent information already exists. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/updat...ml#post4243680

Do we really need another one?
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
This thread with all the pertinent information already exists. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/updat...ml#post4243680

Do we really need another one?
I noted that. Thanks for posting a link. While it has some unrelated nonsense some may find it complementary.

If you don’t need a thread you are welcome to ignore. Your worthless post helps no one.

My main point is that it isn’t limited to the Latitude sub model. Too bad you can’t understand that. And also if your clueless dealer installs it there shouldn’t be a problem. Guess you didn’t comprehend that either.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryinID View Post
...despite the manual saying it does.

A poster in another thread posted a case (#S1823000031, dated 5/22/18) saying so. Still need 4wd and Active Drive II for flat towing.

My dealer wasn’t aware and installed it for me (for free). I checked and they said I can just not use it...don’t install fuse or flip switch.

Maybe in a couple more years they’ll update the manual.
I rechecked the manual and suspect there is a problem. It tells you to turn the key off and remove the fob for towing. The kit instructions have you install a fuse and flip a switch to power the electronic steering for towing. Unless they installed a mechanical damper I suspect you’ll need to keep the “ key” in ACC position to tow safely.

Anyone seen anything on that?
Old 06-22-2018, 10:26 AM   #5

Quote:
I rechecked the manual and suspect there is a problem. It tells you to turn the key off and remove the fob for towing. The kit instructions have you install a fuse and flip a switch to power the electronic steering for towing. Unless they installed a mechanical damper I suspect you’ll need to keep the “ key” in ACC position to tow safely.

Anyone seen anything on that?
Update on this for those who might not follow the other threads. The bottom line is that I believe I can ignore the flat tow wiring kit and leave the ignition “off” when towing. So I don’t need to wire up power to the battery. The 2019 Trailhawk has a cigarette lighter plug active with the key off to power my brake buddy.

Although the paper manual they give you, titled “User Guide”, still says you need the flat tow kit and says to charge the battery when towing, the online “Owners Manual” deletes those entries from the flat towing table. Both manuals end up the hook procedure by putting the ignition switch in the “off” position. The online Owners Manual is about twice as thick as the User Guide.

This leads me to suspect that the fix added a mechanical damper, as in the wrangler, vs. keeping the electric steering active, as the wiring kit did.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Update on this for those who might not follow the other threads. The bottom line is that I believe I can ignore the flat tow wiring kit and leave the ignition “off” when towing. So I don’t need to wire up power to the battery. The 2019 Trailhawk has a cigarette lighter plug active with the key off to power my brake buddy.

Although the paper manual they give you, titled “User Guide”, still says you need the flat tow kit and says to charge the battery when towing, the online “Owners Manual” deletes those entries from the flat towing table. Both manuals end up the hook procedure by putting the ignition switch in the “off” position. The online Owners Manual is about twice as thick as the User Guide.

This leads me to suspect that the fix added a mechanical damper, as in the wrangler, vs. keeping the electric steering active, as the wiring kit did.
One last update: the electronic manual in the uconnect computer in the Trailhawk has the old flat tow table, telling you to install the flat tow wiring harness and charge the battery when towing.
Old 06-24-2018, 04:43 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
There's a simple test that some who tow the older cherokees do. With engine off test the 'feel' of the steering wheel when turniong it; it should be tight with no power assist operating. Then, activate the EPS, either using the harness like we did with older models, or putting the AD2 into the neutral position. Either way, after waiting 15 or so seconds, the power steer assist should be evident.

I am sure many Cherokee owners will want to know the results of this test.
Old 06-24-2018, 11:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpasetto View Post
There's a simple test that some who tow the older cherokees do. With engine off test the 'feel' of the steering wheel when turniong it; it should be tight with no power assist operating. Then, activate the EPS, either using the harness like we did with older models, or putting the AD2 into the neutral position. Either way, after waiting 15 or so seconds, the power steer assist should be evident.

I am sure many Cherokee owners will want to know the results of this test.
I suspect the system mod they made for 2019s doesn’t keep the EPS active. The procedure in the online Owners Manual tells you to turn the vehicle off and remove the fob after putting the transfer case in neutral for towing.

I suspect they’ve added mechanical damping to the steering system. Perhaps like the sysyem they use in the Wrangler.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:33 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I suspect the system mod they made for 2019s doesn’t keep the EPS active. The procedure in the online Owners Manual tells you to turn the vehicle off and remove the fob after putting the transfer case in neutral for towing.

I suspect they’ve added mechanical damping to the steering system. Perhaps like the sysyem they use in the Wrangler.
I believe that the Wrangler EPS is electric-over-hydraulic. If that is the change it should be quite easy to determine by a look under the hood.

If there is some mechanical damping added to the EPS system that'd be great; many were hoping that would have been the initial solution. Again, visual inspection/comparison should evidence that.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpasetto View Post
I believe that the Wrangler EPS is electric-over-hydraulic. If that is the change it should be quite easy to determine by a look under the hood.

If there is some mechanical damping added to the EPS system that'd be great; many were hoping that would have been the initial solution. Again, visual inspection/comparison should evidence that.
Good thought. Should be easy...but not. Engine compartment jam packed from top. Plate beneath engine prevents looking up.
Old 06-26-2018, 05:57 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Good thought. Should be easy...but not. Engine compartment jam packed from top. Plate beneath engine prevents looking up.
If the PS system is electric-hydraulic there should be an electric PS pump somewhere and something in the OM about PS fluid.

I recall when the 2018's came out there were some who were told that the "wobble fix" was not needed anymore... same earlier for the 2017's. It was easy for sales to say that... just find an old TSB from the prior year.

I recommend caution, based on past performance.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:40 AM   #12

Jeep replied confirming kit not needed on 2019.

Found online updated User Guide that also deletes the kit requirement and battery charging note.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:36 PM   #13

Thumbs up

Quote:
Jeep replied confirming kit not needed on 2019.
Jeep CS had no clue, but Star Case #S1823000031 says 2019 Cherokess do NOT need it (from Dave in parts, at Victory Chrysler, in Kansas City).

Both Corwyn Jeep in Springfield, MO and Tuttle-Click Jeep in Irvine, CA had absolutley no idea what I was askin about.

Frankly, Wrangler info is a hijack of this thread and a further wast eof the hours it's taken to wrest a simple answer from clueless Jeep sources.

Tags
tow, wiring