Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2019, 06:47 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
2019 Lincoln Nautilus

Is there anyone out there towing a Lincoln Nautilus? If so what do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5EDFA7E3-B71F-457D-9BF9-15E65BC2574E.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	539.7 KB
ID:	254671  
Sicduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2019, 12:07 AM   #2

The only Nautilus you can tow is the 2.7 L all wheel drive.

Yes I am towing Lincoln Nautilus. I had the very first one set up for towing in the US, back in February. Blue OX and Roadmaster did not have baseplate for the Nautilus. I live just across the river from Roadmaster Factory in Vancouver WA.They had it there for a week, and designed very hidden baseplate for my car. If you look online at their website, that is a picture of my car for the Nautilus.

Their biggest problem was figuring out the wiring for the lights. The electronics in that car are very smart. Their wiring tech did figure it out and posted on line ok. I have two switches under the dash for a solenoid under the hood. One disconnects all the power from the battery and the second switch provides power only for the lights. Once he figured it out works great. The emergency brake has to be manually released. Like most things once you figure it out, it is easy.

I tows great and you don't have to restart like some cars every so many miles.

The Lincoln owners manual is poor written for towing and tech support and dealers don't know except what is written the book. You can PM me if need more information?
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 07:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraig View Post

Yes I am towing Lincoln Nautilus. I had the very first one set up for towing in the US, back in February. Blue OX and Roadmaster did not have baseplate for the Nautilus. I live just across the river from Roadmaster Factory in Vancouver WA.They had it there for a week, and designed very hidden baseplate for my car. If you look online at their website, that is a picture of my car for the Nautilus.

Their biggest problem was figuring out the wiring for the lights. The electronics in that car are very smart. Their wiring tech did figure it out and posted on line ok. I have two switches under the dash for a solenoid under the hood. One disconnects all the power from the battery and the second switch provides power only for the lights. Once he figured it out works great. The emergency brake has to be manually released. Like most things once you figure it out, it is easy.

The Lincoln owners manual is poor written for towing and tech support and dealers don't know except what is written the book. You can PM me if need more information?

The online owners manual for the Nautilus says both the 2.7L FWD and AWD versions can be recreationally towed. How difficult is it to put the car into the towing mode? It looks like you have to pull a cable under the dash to release the emergency brake. Is it awkward to reach under there to pull the cable?
gandl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 11:45 PM   #4

The owners manual is poorly written and not clear. Only the 2.7 AWD is towable. Yes you do have to manually release brake under dash and lock cable to right to disengage brake. It is not possible to do from drivers seat. You have to get on your knees and see how you are doing.

It is not difficult to put in towing mode. I will print instructions later.
Old 09-22-2019, 12:13 AM   #5

Quote:
The owners manual is poorly written and not clear. Only the 2.7 AWD is towable. Yes you do have to manually release brake under dash and lock cable to right to disengage brake. It is not possible to do from drivers seat. You have to get on your knees and see how you are doing.

It is not difficult to put in towing mode. I will print instructions later.

Sorry I am not seeing anywhere in the current edition of the manual that says only the 2.7 AWD is towable.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:35 AM   #6

In the owners manual, page 275 says the 2 L you cannot recreational tow. Page 275 for 2.7L talks first about emergency towing and continues on page 276 for recreational towing. That is what I am saying the book is not very clear. I took my Nautilus to Roadmaster factory in Vancouver and they confirmed that the 2.7 is towable. You can call them if you have questions.
Old 09-23-2019, 11:37 PM   #7

I guess I wasn’t clear. I knew the 2L was not towable. I was questioning that both the 2.7L FWD and AWD versions are towable.
Old 09-25-2019, 09:46 AM   #8

Only the 2.7 L AWD is towable
Old 08-31-2020, 09:39 AM   #9

Thinking of getting 2020 2.7l twin turbo nautilus

Quote:

——————-

We read thru this whole thread on flat towing Lincoln Nautilus. Just bought a Thor Outlaw toy hauler and need a toad. Going to trade out an existing non-towable car for toad eligible. Live in rural area; not many new car dealers within a convenient drive. We do have local dealer that has Lincoln/Ford/Jeep.

Local salesman told us that not all Lincoln Nautilus 2.7L twin turbos are towable; that the vehicle must also have a “disconnect” built in and that there are some digits in the VIN or some other codes that indicate the towable ones. Said we can;t search online ourselves. Not sure if (a) he’s blowing smoke to make it seem like we can’t search for one on our own and dependent on him for availability and price or (b) it’s really true or (c) he is misinformed because this small dealer doesn’t handle all that many Lincolns.

Wondering if you have any wisdom to share on this. If we get a Nautilus, we’lluse your advice on the towing setup that you’ve already posted.

Also considering the ford edge st but need to schedule a drive out of town to see & drive one; none on a lot locally.

Al & Lila Rudolph
lakemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 12:53 PM   #10

Sounds like blowing smoke to me. Earlier in the thread I see a reference to releasing brake. It is not the brake that is released it is transmission neutral release. Also discussion on 2.7 with FWD verses AWD, there are no 2.7 FWD cars in 2019 and up. As far as I know all of the 2019 and on Nautilus and Edge ST have all wheel drive and the 2.7.
There is a great thread about towing the Edge ST (same setup as Lincoln.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/2019...st-436787.html
Old 02-22-2021, 07:42 AM   #11

I have a 2019 2.0 Nautilus that I plan on using a tow dolly. Do you know if I need to do the park brake release while using the tow dolly?
jerome w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 07:58 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome w View Post
I have a 2019 2.0 Nautilus that I plan on using a tow dolly. Do you know if I need to do the park brake release while using the tow dolly?
You can't do it. The owner's manual for your vehicle states:

"You cannot recreational tow your vehicle
with all wheels on the ground because
vehicle or transmission damage may occur.
We recommend towing your vehicle with all
four wheels off the ground such as when
using a car-hauling trailer. Otherwise, you
cannot recreational tow your vehicle."

The 2.7L engine model can be towed, but not the 2.0L
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 03:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
You can't do it. The owner's manual for your vehicle states:

"You cannot recreational tow your vehicle
with all wheels on the ground because
vehicle or transmission damage may occur.
We recommend towing your vehicle with all
four wheels off the ground such as when
using a car-hauling trailer. Otherwise, you
cannot recreational tow your vehicle."

The 2.7L engine model can be towed, but not the 2.0L
I was going back and forth --flip flopping all over the place on the thread he started (I apologize, again, jerome w) HERE.

I initially interpreted the owners manual as implying that too. In fact, it does implicitly specify that the 2.0L should be towed with all four wheels off the ground as you have illustrated.

However, jerome w has said his 2.0L has FWD. Do you or anybody else see any reason why a 2.0L with FWD can't be dolly towed? ...despite what it says in the manual?
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 03:42 PM   #14

I tow a 2020 Ford Edge ST. It has the 2.7 twin-turbo engine, with AWD. The car tows smoothly.

I installed a battery disconnect at the battery negative terminal - the positive terminal is not accessible readily.

To set up for towing:
1) run engine for 5 mins and run through gears
2) pull orange strap under dash to lock out transmission park
3) shut off engine
4) release park brake
5) disconnect battery

When starting to travel, I always make a turn and check to see the Edge’s wheels are rotating - this is very important. If they are not, then go back and make certain the parking brake is released

When ready to drive the Edge, Be certain to release the orange strap (transmission park lock-out) before you start and shift into gear. If you fail this step, then you will have a check engine light set

Dave