Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2019, 03:38 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
And as with any toad, have someone check your lights and walk along for a short distance to watch the toad hook ups and ensure the wheels are all turning, and there are no odd sounds (like from the tranny / drivetrain) as you slowly pull away.

We do exactly the same thing. DW pulls ahead slowly while I check tow bars are locked, all four wheels are turning properly, no strange sounds, all lites working. We also do it every morning prior to leaving the cg even if we did not unhook. Just to make sure nothing “happened” during the night.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2019, 09:58 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgelesley View Post
We also do it every morning prior to leaving the cg even if we did not unhook. Just to make sure nothing “happened” during the night.
+1... We also replaced the tow-bar keeper pins with locks (which I know some probably feel is paranoid). But even when you pull in for gas and step in to pay or stop at a rest stop, these days you never know what people are thinking or willing to do for whatever reason (or none at all). Having a pin get easily pulled I know would sure ruin my day...
Old 07-27-2019, 06:21 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by DariusB View Post
I recently bought a Trailhawk, 2019. The dealer has their invoice for each vehicle and that document will have that vehicles actual weight listed since the freight companies need that info when they ship from the factory. There are so many "models" of this Cherokee that I doubt no two weigh the same. Mine was 4205 on that invoice. When I had it hooked up with the tow plates and all with a full tank of gas it weighed 4400. Nothing else in the Jeep.
DariusB
Does your 2019 Cherokee have the tow package?

Ron
Sarz272000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 09:43 AM   #32

Sorry for the late reply, been travellin! Yes, my Cherokee has a tow package. I don't tow anything with it, it was on the vehicle the wife liked best! Been getting 12.0 MKPG at a total gross weight of 15450 in my 2019 Navion. Pulls the Sierras (Donner summit) and the Rockies (I-80 out of Salt Lake) no sweat, just have to use the slap shift for correct gear. I also find the speed is much easier to maintain/control even on hills when using cruise control. Accelerator pedal cannot keep up like the computerized cruise does.
Old 08-05-2019, 10:35 PM   #33

Quote:
Sorry for the late reply, been travellin! Yes, my Cherokee has a tow package. I don't tow anything with it, it was on the vehicle the wife liked best! Been getting 12.0 MKPG at a total gross weight of 15450 in my 2019 Navion. Pulls the Sierras (Donner summit) and the Rockies (I-80 out of Salt Lake) no sweat, just have to use the slap shift for correct gear. I also find the speed is much easier to maintain/control even on hills when using cruise control. Accelerator pedal cannot keep up like the computerized cruise does.
Great info. You have the same chassis as what we have, sure glad it tows well. What breaking system are you using? My wife like the Cherokee and I do as well but the Wrangler Sport is a little lighter. which may be a factor in our decision.
MorrieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 11:04 PM   #34

Wrangler Rubicon Towed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrieC View Post
Great info on the weight. 4,440 pounds is a little heavier than I thought it would be that is almost the same weight of the Rubicon that i weighted. I wonder what a Jeep Wrangler 2 door sport will weigh? I imagine a few pounds less than the Cherokee.
I have a 2019 Newmar New Aire towing a 2019 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door Rubicon. The Wrangler Rubicon weighs about 4,275 with a full fuel load. I haven't modified it much (winch, off road bumpers, etc.) The Sport 2 Door would be around 200-250 lbs. less. The only thing to consider about the 2 door is there is not much storage room compared to the Unlimited 4 door. We put our two medium size dogs in the back seat. I like the maneuverability of the 2 door, and the fact that the Rubicon will go anywhere. Lots of nice features, and lots of ground clearance. As we age though it's a bit of a climb to get in, harder on my DW than me as she has shorter legs and not as flexible. I figure we will be in an SUV in a couple of years, like the Cherokee for that reason alone. Mine is a great towed vehicle, no problems so far. Sometimes a little bulky to get the transfer case into neutral, but that's not unusual. In the fall I think Jeep will start offering a diesel for the Wranglers, that would also be great, lighter weight and an instant emergency fuel tank for the motor home.
To seed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:03 AM   #35

Quote:
Great info. You have the same chassis as what we have, sure glad it tows well. What breaking system are you using? My wife like the Cherokee and I do as well but the Wrangler Sport is a little lighter. which may be a factor in our decision.
I went with the Invisibrake system. Works just fine. I can absolutely feel the toad brakes working to help slow the rig. You really notice it when you let go of the brake pedal as you are nearing a stopping point. I like the idea of not having to install/uninstall a big piece of equipment each time. I had a mobile RV repair guy who was referred by the place I bought the set up (Lazy Days RV in Sacramento) come install it on the jeep in my driveway . He was there about 10 hours on one day and charged me $600. I was very OK with that after reading what some folks have had to pay for the install.
Putting the jeep in neutral with the active drive II feature is a piece of cake! Some folks get too wrapped up in that process. Just follow the steps in the owners manual and it works fine. I typed them on a 5x7 checklist so it is easy to do the steps in order.
Old 08-06-2019, 07:56 PM   #36

Quote:
I went with the Invisibrake system. Works just fine. I can absolutely feel the toad brakes working to help slow the rig. You really notice it when you let go of the brake pedal as you are nearing a stopping point. I like the idea of not having to install/uninstall a big piece of equipment each time. I had a mobile RV repair guy who was referred by the place I bought the set up (Lazy Days RV in Sacramento) come install it on the jeep in my driveway . He was there about 10 hours on one day and charged me $600. I was very OK with that after reading what some folks have had to pay for the install.
Putting the jeep in neutral with the active drive II feature is a piece of cake! Some folks get too wrapped up in that process. Just follow the steps in the owners manual and it works fine. I typed them on a 5x7 checklist so it is easy to do the steps in order.
Darius, one more question. Due to the weight of the Cherokee and your motorhome which is on the smaller side. Do you ever feel like the tow is pushing you around or does it handle pretty well?
Old 08-06-2019, 08:09 PM   #37

The ONLY time I really notice it is when I take my foot OFF the brake. There is a very tiny delay and then I feel the Toad brake release. A millisecond really. Other than that I don't know it is there.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:07 PM   #38

Looked at a 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk today. Yellow tag said capacity was 800 lbs. This is for cargo and people. Subtracting that from GVWR gives weight of 4600lbs. Add base plate, bikes and kayaks and are too close to 5000 lbs MH limit to tow.

Very disappointed. I have no other options for toads. Wife doesn’t like 2014 CRV because too old. We drove Arcadia and Envision. Both were very disappointing to put it nicely. Looking to purchase Acme EZE dolly unless I can find a lighter 2019 Jeep Latitude with proper 4x4 to tow.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:18 AM   #39

Is there anyone out there who has towed the new Lincoln Nautilus yet. I am curious on how that is going. Seems like a nice vehicle, with weight similar to a Wrangler JL Unlimited.
To seed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 05:39 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarz272000 View Post
Looked at a 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk today. Yellow tag said capacity was 800 lbs. This is for cargo and people. Subtracting that from GVWR gives weight of 4600lbs. Add base plate, bikes and kayaks and are too close to 5000 lbs MH limit to tow.

Very disappointed. I have no other options for toads. Wife doesn’t like 2014 CRV because too old. We drove Arcadia and Envision. Both were very disappointing to put it nicely. Looking to purchase Acme EZE dolly unless I can find a lighter 2019 Jeep Latitude with proper 4x4 to tow.
I'm not sure if you take the GWR - the capacity weight is an accurate way to figure the weight of the vehicle I had done this as well and then weighed a few vehicles on cat scales and they were way off.

I would say the published curb weight is light by about 200 lbs on the vehicles we have weighed. A dealer said the factory shipping weight is an accurate way to determine the actual weight. We looked at several 2019 Trailhawks, now depending on options one came in at 4,171lbs, one at 4189lbs one was 4,224 bs and one was 4270lb. They say they are shipped with I don't remember but it was either 3 or 5 gallons of gas. Ask the dealers to give you the shipping weights not the published curb weights. It has been an interesting process for us. Sunroofs and trailer hitches all add weight as well as upgraded speakers.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:44 AM   #41

Quote:
I'm not sure if you take the GWR - the capacity weight is an accurate way to figure the weight of the vehicle I had done this as well and then weighed a few vehicles on cat scales and they were way off.

I would say the published curb weight is light by about 200 lbs on the vehicles we have weighed. A dealer said the factory shipping weight is an accurate way to determine the actual weight. We looked at several 2019 Trailhawks, now depending on options one came in at 4,171lbs, one at 4189lbs one was 4,224 bs and one was 4270lb. They say they are shipped with I don't remember but it was either 3 or 5 gallons of gas. Ask the dealers to give you the shipping weights not the published curb weights. It has been an interesting process for us. Sunroofs and trailer hitches all add weight as well as upgraded speakers.
Thanks for your feedback. This purchase is a large financial outlay and we want to pick it right the first time.

I will be looking again at the JCTrailhawk. I will check the factory ship weight. I also found the the 2.0 liter engine is about 150 lbs lighter. I prefer turbos vs the normal V6 just because I own a Ford 2 liter and like it’s power and pickup. I also noticed there is an Elite model for Trailhawk that has Napa leather and ventilated seats, whatever that means. We don’t like leather seats unless they cool because summer heat makes them uncomfortable. Based on other users in this forum it appears the real on the road weight with all the stuff is about 4500-4600 lbs for the Trailhawk. That is well within our limits.

Here is more weight info if you have not seen it before. Great info!

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/toad-...-430155-4.html

I previously drove a 2019 GMC Acadia. I didn’t like seats or the looks. Since than I noticed they have a Denali model that has painted trim instead of black trim. Also have cooled/heated seats. That would be ideal one for us to toad as it has seating for 6. But priced at $50,000+ would require large incentives. WOW!
Old 08-26-2019, 02:30 PM   #42

If you like the Trailhawk, also check out the Summit.