RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-14-2020, 08:15 PM   #1

2020 Expedition 4x4 Flat Towing questions??

Hello all.
Ok, so I confirmed from Ford before purchasing my Expedition (gave them the vin) and they said it has 4W high and low capability. But, on the dial, it says 2H and 4A.
Is it indeed flat towable? Anyone here flat towing a newer model Expedition? If so, can you tell me the sequence to follow? The sequence in the manual tells me that I will get a Neutral Tow option under Advanced Settings. The option does not appear. Iíve also heard that it may have to be towed in neutral with the engine running?
Iím lost at this point😔
Chuck
SofaKing79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2020, 03:23 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Chuck.....I have a 2019 Ford F-150 that requires that you select the Neutral Tow position in the dash window. Here is the procedure. This is just a copy and paste. If it works, send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you the file, that I used to print a hard copy and laminated to keep it in my truck.

Recreational Towing

1. Press the engine START/STOP button once without pressing the brake pedal.

2. Press and hold the brake pedal.

3. Shift the transmission to neutral (N).

4. Enable Neutral Tow through the information display by selecting Settings / Advanced Settings / Vehicle .

5. Then select Neutral Tow, while still pressing the brake pedal. Press and hold the OK button. If completed successfully, the information display shows Neutral Tow Enabled Leave Transmission in Neutral.

6. Leave the transmission in neutral (N) and press the engine START/STOP button once without pressing the brake pedal.

7. Release the brake pedal.

8. Set alarm to Perimeter only.

EXITING FOUR DOWN TOWING

1. Press the engine START/STOP button once without pressing the brake pedal.

2. Press and hold the brake pedal.

3. Shift the transmission out of neutral (N) and into any gear.

4. Release the brake pedal.

Note: if completed successfully, the instrument cluster displays 4x2, and Neutral Tow Disabled .
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 08:27 PM   #3

I too tow a 2020 Expedition. If your Expy only has 2H and 4A on the selector it is not flat towable. It must have a 4 Low option to have the correct transfer case. I went through the same confusion during our purchase. Almost bought the wrong vehicle.
codsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 09:19 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
not to be rude.

but read your onwers manual. it is very clear on placing it in flat tow mode.
takes less than 30 seconds . but yes you need to the 2 speed transfer case

thats easy to check as well in the book
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2016 Expedition or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 10:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by codsimms View Post
I too tow a 2020 Expedition. If your Expy only has 2H and 4A on the selector it is not flat towable. It must have a 4 Low option to have the correct transfer case. I went through the same confusion during our purchase. Almost bought the wrong vehicle.

I just purchased a 2020 Expedition. Would you share what baseplate, tow bar and brake system you went with. Iím looking at a couple of options including Demco Air Force one and the RVI III. Thx
Shawn E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 07:21 PM   #6

I put mine in to neutral on the lot before/during purchase. I had to teach the dealership how to do it. Hope you do the same.
Motang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 07:42 PM   #7

We are currently in the hunt for a 4x4 vehicle that we can flat tow behind our Renegade. When looking online, is there any way to tell if a Expedition or Explorer has the correct transfer case? When looking at the window stickers online, I don't see anything that mentions the transfer case.
Electrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 12:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn E View Post
I just purchased a 2020 Expedition. Would you share what baseplate, tow bar and brake system you went with. Iím looking at a couple of options including Demco Air Force one and the RVI III. Thx
I went with Roadmaster this time around, moving from Blue Ox due to the recent reviews I have been reading on them. I felt it was time to replace the tow bar due to it being 12 years old and not wanting to risk failure. I went with the Roadmaster crossbar baseplate (524457-4) with the BlackHawk 2 AT tow bar. I reused the Roadmaster BrakeMaster system from my old set up. It was an easy and clean install. Really happy with it.
Old 10-25-2020, 12:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrified View Post
We are currently in the hunt for a 4x4 vehicle that we can flat tow behind our Renegade. When looking online, is there any way to tell if a Expedition or Explorer has the correct transfer case? When looking at the window stickers online, I don't see anything that mentions the transfer case.
I believe the Heavy Duty Trailer Tow Package is what you will need to look for. That includes the two-speed automatic 4WD transfer case that allows the neutral towing capability.
Old 10-25-2020, 12:26 AM   #10

Quote:
I believe the Heavy Duty Trailer Tow Package is what you will need to look for. That includes the two-speed automatic 4WD transfer case that allows the neutral towing capability.
I should mention that is for the Expedition...not sure about the Explorer. I dont think the new model Explorers are flat towable, but I could be mistaken on that.
Old 10-25-2020, 03:59 PM   #11

Quote:
I went with Roadmaster this time around, moving from Blue Ox due to the recent reviews I have been reading on them. I felt it was time to replace the tow bar due to it being 12 years old and not wanting to risk failure. I went with the Roadmaster crossbar baseplate (524457-4) with the BlackHawk 2 AT tow bar. I reused the Roadmaster BrakeMaster system from my old set up. It was an easy and clean install. Really happy with it.

Thanks for the feedback
Shawn E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 05:51 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:

I agree for the Expedition you need the Heavy Duty Tow Package.

And as stated above donít sign the papers until you put it in Neutral tow yourself. The steps are in the manual.

- Richard
RandDescape is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing, towing question