RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-30-2020, 09:57 AM   #1

2020 Ford Escape Hybrid

I know a few have purchased and set up for towing & I have a couple q's that I didn't see covered so far. We looked at & really liked the Titanium Hybrid & it would be wife's daily driver as well as our toad. For q's 1 & 2 is there a work around to override car's operating software to make it stay in internal combustion mode?

1) KC has cold winters & wife likes to use remote start to warm up vehicle. When the remote start is triggered on the hybrid key fob it doesn't start the 2.5L because it is in hybrid (electric) mode. So no warm up?

2) When towing & at a rest stop & you need to cycle 2.5L engine same issue. It will just sit there in hybrid mode & not start engine. How do ya cycle/run engine after 5 hours of towing? Unhook & drive around until LI battery makes car start?

3) We need a 2" receiver for bicycle carrier & sales guy says OE receiver only available on non hybrid models (tow package). Can do aftermarket but the OE looks so much better as it's thoughtfully built right in to rear bumper. Doubt there is going to be an answer for this one.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2020, 10:25 AM   #2

For #1 I believe if you set the heat on when you last used it....when it “starts”, it WILL engage the IC engine in order to satisfy the demand for cabin heat.

#2 could also work like #1

OR simply press the accelerator about 3/4 to the floor and it will make the IC engine start.....continue holding the accelerator down to keep it running.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 11:04 AM   #3

Thanks Pasdad1 that's great info!
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 04:30 PM   #4

I’m looking at them also. Haven’t taken one out for a test ride yet though.
We had 30 years of Suburbans and went to a Ford Edge talk about culture shock.
I recently took a job that is 75 miles round trip and would use the escape for commuting and towed and give my wrangler to my son.
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2015 Wranagler JKU towed
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 05:17 PM   #5

We haven't been in real cold, yet, but remote start on our Titanium does turn on the seat heater and steering wheel heater.

I thought it did turn on the engine on a cool morning but couldn't swear to it.

There are settings for remote control temperature defaults.

From the manual...

The climate control system adjusts the

interior temperature during remote start.

You can switch this feature on or off and

adjust the settings using the touchscreen.

See Settings (page 467).
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford