Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-03-2019, 03:46 AM   #15

Towing Gladiator

Hello and thanks for your input, my 2018 Leprechaun 260D has a 7500 lb tow rating so 5 k Gladiator would be possible Iím not overly heavy when traveling. Naturally I would get all my weights checked before attempting it. Iím just concerned that itís too much weight to pull. I wanted to know if there are folks out there planning on towing the Gladiator with similar RVs.
PR Warfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2019, 03:48 AM   #16

I probably should have started my own thread so apologize for asking my question in this thread.
PR Warfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:35 AM   #17

Hi guys Im setting up my gladiator to flat tow. Im new to these and want to try and find a parts list or tutorial or something. Ive flat towed plenty before.
I already have my tow bar, base plate and breaking system
Roadmaster tow bar and base plate and air force 1 breaking system.

What else do I need for the gladiator. I know theres no fuses to pull.
Do I need a battery disconnect?
I know I need a charge line to the air force 1 system
Im reading wierd stuff with the break lights. Is a diode kit sufficient? Is there any preference?

I appreciate all the help.
Thanks
Superrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:09 PM   #18

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I have been pulling a Gladiator since July with no issues. I think it drives better than my wrangler. I slapped on a Rockhard bumper in a parking lot to tow with. 8 bolts in the front of the frame and hooks nicely to my Blue-ox tow bar.
As far as wiring I highly recommend https://www.cooltechllc.com/2018-jee...rness-kit.html
There are no diodes and all the wiring connections are inside. There is a switch so it disconnects the jeep lights and runs all lights from the tow vehicle perfectly. I again installed this in the same parking lot with no problem.
mrdinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 02:38 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vongreg View Post
No steering lock on the Jeeps
Since mid 2008 the Wrangler hasn't had a steering lock. Not sure if that applies to "Jeeps" or just to "Wranglers". All Wranglers are Jeeps but not all Jeeps are Wranglers.

I'm not aware of any Wranglers of any vintage that required fuse removal for flat towing.
Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 06:06 AM   #20
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
I'm not aware of any Wranglers of any vintage that required fuse removal for flat towing.
Almost all Jeep Wranglers PRIOR to the JL *When equipped with an aux braking system* will require the removal of the Jeep's brake light fuse for correct operation. This includes TJ models (1996-2006) & JK models (2007-2018).

The Wrangler uses the same filament in the same bulb for both turn signal and brake lights. When driving the Jeep, the ECU "manages" the inherent conflicts that can occur, specifically, what to do if both the brake and turn signal are commanded at the same time. In this scenario, the turn-side light will continue to blink while the opposite side light remains constant bright.

However, when these Jeeps are being towed (and equipped with an aux braking device), the "conflict" is not managed. In other words, when the tow vehicle is commanding a blinking left turn light by sending a pulsed 12v signal to the light and then the tow vehicle also applies the brakes... most aux braking devices will pull/push the Jeep's brake pedal and the Jeep will send a constant 12v signal to the turn-side light. The effect is that the turn signal is effectively eliminated in favor of a constant (brake) light.

The remedy is a simple one. By removing the Jeep's brake light fuse while towing, you take away the capability for the Jeep to activate its own lights... and the conflict is eliminated.

The good news here for the op is that with the new JL Wranglers and all Gladiators, the ECU will enter a sleep mode about a minute after the last door is closed. In this low-power sleep mode, the electrical system is off and the Jeep will not try to activate its tail lights. There's no need to remove a fuse.

Our Cool Tech towing harness for the JL Wranglers and JT Gladiators was specifically designed for these applications. The system provides 100% (physical) isolation from the delicate Jeep electronics and there are no diodes to consume power or to be a potential failure point. All wiring connections are made inside the Jeep - isolated from the elements yet still employing 3M heat shrink connectors just like the OEM uses.
CoolTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 01:37 PM   #21

Never had the problem you describe and I've been towing a Wrangler of one type or another since 1999. Guess the wiring harness always managed it somehow. Currently tow a 2017 JK with Ready Brake and no issues.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:01 PM   #22
Commercial Member

Quote:
Never had the problem you describe and I've been towing a Wrangler of one type or another since 1999. Guess the wiring harness always managed it somehow. Currently tow a 2017 JK with Ready Brake and no issues.
Nah, it is impossible for the wiring harness to manage. The Jeep doesn't "know" a turn signal is on and the tow vehicle doesn't know when the Jeep activates its own brake lights.

I think you are in the category of about 90% of the people with these set-ups - where you just don't realize you have "the problem". Have someone follow you next time you tow... I guarantee that they'll see the problem.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:48 AM   #23

You could be right. However, it's about number 927 on my list of things to worry about. Right above sanitizing the black tank. I also try real hard to not use the turn signals and the brakes at the same time.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:31 PM   #24
Commercial Member

Quote:
You could be right. However, it's about number 927 on my list of things to worry about. Right above sanitizing the black tank. I also try real hard to not use the turn signals and the brakes at the same time.
You may very well have it prioritized correctly. The reality is that most aux brake controllers do not "ride" the brakes so the occurrences of this anomaly are pretty short in duration - and nothing "bad" really happens, you may just lose a few blinks!
Old 10-20-2020, 03:21 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Doesn't turning the ignition to Off lock the steering?
2020 Gladiator have a push button ignition, and the steering does not lock when shut off.
Radical65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 05:58 AM   #26

Gladiator

True re the ignition. I started this thread when I first got the gladiator. Since then Iíve towed it about 25,000 miles. No issues with the ignition or removing the key from the vehicle. The steering wheel does not lock. The vehicle tows very well even at speeds up to 80.
I did add a manual disconnect at the battery terminal. On very long trips, there seems to be a little bit of battery drain that caused me to need to jumpstart the vehicle. The manual disconnect was easy to add, and resolved battery drain issues. I donít even bother using the disconnect if Iím not going to be towing greater than 24 hours, because the current drain is minimal. Lastly, Iíve been towing from the D ring mounts on an off-road bumper I installed. I have been very happy with the set up. Itís convenient, and easy to use.
RBowman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse, ignition, removal, tow, towing