Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2020, 08:02 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
2020 Jeep Battery Charge Line

We have a 2020 Rubicon on order and will be using a BlueOx Patriot braking system. Is there any requirement to install a battery charge line from the coach to the Jeep? I read the online manual and the ignition is off during towing.

I just learned that that there isn't a hot accessories plug in the console or dash and the only hot accessories plug is by the back tail gate.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2020, 02:31 PM   #2

Probably not, if you don’t tow multiple days without running the Jeep. I found out the hard way that several days of consecutive braking unit operation can drain a battery.

We DO often make long tows, so I just install a charge line on everything. And why not; what’s one more short piece of copper and a diode, when you’re already running all the wiring for the lights and breakaway switch?
Old 01-17-2020, 07:07 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Just went and check and I got the 700-AMP battery that comes in the Trailer Towing group so I don't think I will need charge line. Thanks
Old 01-18-2020, 07:10 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My Gladiator computer system would not allow me to use the Patriot brake. The Patriot would show low voltage. I ran a separate wire from the battery to the brake unit still showed low voltage. I ran a separate line for power from the 7 pin plug to the brake unit. No more problems. I did take the gladiator to a deal and that was there assessment. I call Blue Ox and asked them. They replied this has happened on several different vehicle makes and models they were not sure why.
Old 01-18-2020, 08:43 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang37 View Post
My Gladiator computer system would not allow me to use the Patriot brake. The Patriot would show low voltage. I ran a separate wire from the battery to the brake unit still showed low voltage. I ran a separate line for power from the 7 pin plug to the brake unit. No more problems. I did take the gladiator to a deal and that was there assessment. I call Blue Ox and asked them. They replied this has happened on several different vehicle makes and models they were not sure why.

That's good to know. I do have a battery jumper box that has a accessory plug on it so I can use that to power the Patriot if I have to.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
We have a 2020 Rubicon on order and will be using a BlueOx Patriot braking system. Is there any requirement to install a battery charge line from the coach to the Jeep? I read the online manual and the ignition is off during towing.

I just learned that that there isn't a hot accessories plug in the console or dash and the only hot accessories plug is by the back tail gate.
We lucked out with 2018 Wrangler unlimited. There is a constant hot 12v inside the console. Ran charge line as well. Discovered console recep after wiring a socket direct from battery through firewall grommet. Oh well. Patriot brake is good.
2 cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 11:08 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
With the Patriot I would use a charge line. My '20 Rubi is the second vehicle I've used the RVI Toad charger on (currently about $85 retail). Extremely simple install, peace of mind.

You may be able to make the dash receptacle "hot" all the time with the menu accessed through the "apps".
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 11:21 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
A charge line should always be installed IMHO.
It's the one upgrade to your toad that basically costs nothing to add, and the piece of mind knowing it will start every time is priceless.
Just my .02
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery