Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2020, 02:53 PM   #1

2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee gear case making noise when shift into neutral for flat tow

Transfer case is making grinding noise when shifted into neutral for flat tow. car is not moving so it is in neutral. Even makes the noise if you rev the engine.
ramduster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2020, 02:56 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramduster View Post
Transfer case is making grinding noise when shifted into neutral for flat tow. car is not moving so it is in neutral. Even makes the noise if you rev the engine.

Do you have the gear selector in neutral?
Old 10-04-2020, 03:18 PM   #3

Yes gear selector is in neutral.
Old 10-04-2020, 03:41 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
It's not all the way in neutral. You may have to jiggle it around some to get it totally out of gear as it should not be making any grinding sound.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 05:00 PM   #5

That is what I am thinking. This is a new car so I may need to take it in for service as our last jeep did not do this.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:56 AM   #6

Engine needs to be off in run position.Re read directions in owners manual.
Tjbass1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 11:41 AM   #7

I will read the owners manual again later today. We have been putting the transfer case in neutral with engine running. Will try and put it in neutral with it off. Thanks
Old 10-06-2020, 04:45 PM   #8

Well I read the manual again today word for word with some good help from my wife and we get the same result. The transfer case still makes the noise when the car rolls with the engine off. You can turn the engine off but there is no way to turn the car all the way off unless you put the gear selector in park it cannot be left in neutral for flat tow. So it looks like the car will be going in for service. Any ideas would be of great help.
Old 10-06-2020, 04:59 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramduster View Post
I will read the owners manual again later today. We have been putting the transfer case in neutral with engine running. Will try and put it in neutral with it off. Thanks
This might help: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/for...lat-tow.13131/

Engine = off shifting transfer case to neutral. Transmission = Park. Some folks on the JL Wrangler Forum (and I may too) print this as a check list and keep in the Jeep.
TexasJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 05:11 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
My GC doesn’t make any noise when in neutral, neither does my Ram 1500 which has a similar transfer case, think you have a problem.
DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 06:07 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
On our 2019 GC Limited, transfer case is in neutral, gear selector is in park.
Old 10-10-2020, 09:04 AM   #12

That is how our car is when in flat tow mode. Engine off car in park transfer case in neutral but when the car moves it still makes the noise. Taking it to the dealer on Monday to see what they say.
Old 10-10-2020, 09:47 AM   #13

I hook mine up, and release brakes, in N, to take the pressure off all gears. Then I go through the steps.

Same with our manual Wrangler, no pressure on the hears before pulling lever
Do26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 07:38 PM   #14

We’re on our maiden voyage with our 2020 Wrangler JL. There are no instructions for keyless ignition models such as mine. According to my dealership, with the engine running, place transmission in N and shift transfer case to N. This worked just fine. The problem came when trying to engage the transfer case and transmission to be able to drive the Jeep. With the engine running, place transmission in N and shift transfer case to desired position. When doing this with the vehicle stationary, you get gear clashing. This was done after towing about 250 miles. After driving about 5 miles to eat dinner, I received a txt from Jeep asking about the check engine light coming on. I went out to the Jeep and sure enough the light was on. Oddly, I had no power steering for about 3-5 minutes and then it came back. Next day, I got in it after driving to the store and when i put it in reverse, it rolled a couple of feet and it was like the brake was applied. Same thing happened when I put it in D. The transfer case was in 4Auto and the light was flashing. I moved it to 2H and no more issues. Kind of afraid to tow it again until I can get it into the Dealer for a checkup. Anyone else have similar issues? Not sure if the JL and the Cherokee have the same systems, but thought it was a good place to ask.

Tags
cherokee, jeep, noise, tow