Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2020, 08:00 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
2020 Lincoln Nautilus 2.7 as Toad

Just got off the phone with Blue Ox regarding purchasing the taillamps wireing harness and they said "Unfortunately that vehicle has a different type of wireing system and I cant use their kit and that I would need to go with the external roof mounted lamps"
does this make any sense? A $60K vehicle with mouse ear lights?
jameshawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2020, 08:09 AM   #2

According to Etrailer, Roadmaster has a kit for that car. https://www.etrailer.com/tbwiring-20...n_Nautilus.htm
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 11:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshawk View Post
Just got off the phone with Blue Ox regarding purchasing the taillamps wireing harness and they said "Unfortunately that vehicle has a different type of wireing system and I cant use their kit and that I would need to go with the external roof mounted lamps"
When I got my Nautilus and called Blue OX, they told me they had not figured out how to wire it. However Roadmaster has a wiring kit and detailed instructions on their website on how to install it.

I have the Roadmaster base plate, the wiring kit, the battery cutoff and their towed brake. It all works well. They are in Vancouver, WA and have great customer service and will give you good info if you call them.

They can also give you a lead on an installer in your area to set you up.
RUFINIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 02:22 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I suspect that Blue Ox simply hasn't got around to developing the wiring kit for that one yet, probably because of low demand for towing that model. Buy the Roadmaster get and get on with it. The lights won't know the difference. Or care.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 07:43 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Did Roadmaster advise you that an additional wire may need added to their Universal kit for the Nautilus Emergency Park System to avoid the possibility of the wheels locking up white being towed?
Old 12-16-2020, 06:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Did Roadmaster advise you that an additional wire may need added to their Universal kit for the Nautilus Emergency Park System to avoid the possibility of the wheels locking up white being towed?
I believe that is not necessary with the battery disconnect. That disables the emergency park, since there is no power to it, the brake will not engage. A friend without the battery disconnected had his Nautilus wheels lock up.

Roadmaster has created a special wiring kit that is for the Nautilus and Edge. Brake Light Switch Kit, part # 751475. This replaces the universal wiring kit. I believe that is for the towed tail lights, not the brake.
Old 12-22-2020, 11:40 AM   #7

Quote:
If you look close at your vehicle like I did with my Edge ST there really is not any steel to even put magnetic brake lights on. Most every surface is either glass (roof) or plastic. A person could maybe use the factory trailer hitch to mount lights on. Trailer hitch standard on the ST and optional on the Lincoln.
Old 12-22-2020, 11:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFINIT View Post
I believe that is not necessary with the battery disconnect. That disables the emergency park, since there is no power to it, the brake will not engage. A friend without the battery disconnected had his Nautilus wheels lock up.

Roadmaster has created a special wiring kit that is for the Nautilus and Edge. Brake Light Switch Kit, part # 751475. This replaces the universal wiring kit. I believe that is for the towed tail lights, not the brake.
The above roadmaster kit is for a power source to light up indicator when brakes are being applied, it has nothing to do with towed tail lights.
Old 12-22-2020, 12:26 PM   #9

Wiring Nautilus towed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAJO View Post
The above roadmaster kit is for a power source to light up indicator when brakes are being applied, it has nothing to do with towed tail lights.
Sorry, I thought it was for tail lights. Apparently there is not kit, just instructions on how to wire: Below are the wiring instructions from the Roadmaster website for wiring the towed tail lights. This is what my installer used to wire mine. All works well on mine. There is a document with pictures that is helpful. I have tried to upload that document, but I cannot, due to size. I copied the instructions and pasted below without pictures.

WIRING INSTRUCTIONS FOR
LINCOLN NAUTILUS AND NAVIGATOR
#85-6041-00 06-19 ALL SPECIFICATIONS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE
ROADMASTER, Inc. 6110 NE 127th Ave. Vancouver, WA 98682 360-896-0407 fax 360-735-9300 www.roadmasterinc.com

1. Open the rear hatch and, on each side, pop the plastic cap off the tail light (Fig.1) and remove one T20 Torx attaching the taillight to the rear bumper (Fig.2). Pull the taillight out.

2. On each side, wire with diodes in the usual way but then locate the purple OEM wire and install a third diode on that wire (Fig.3). Connect a new red power wire to the third diode (Fig.4 and 5). Note: You may extend the wires before proceeding in order to to connect to the diodes. Then, run the wire down from the taillight through the rear bumper (Fig.6).
Note: use a longer wire on the passenger side to ensure it can connect to the driver's side power wire in the next step.

3. Use a butt connector to connect the power wires you installed in the previous step.

4. Connect another wire to the bonded flat-four wiring harness you are running to the front of the vehicle. Remove the Torx screw attaching the kick panel on the driver's side (Fig.7, 8 and 9) and tie into the flat-four and install a toggle switch to turn power "on" when towing and "off" when driving. Reassemble the kick panel (Fig.10).

5. Run the flat-four wiring harness through the fire wall and wire it on the post side of the Remote Battery Disconnect. Install a 10 amp fuse on the wire before you connect the power (Fig.11).

6. To verify power and the directionality for the toggle switch, flip switch and check power at the tail light. If there is no power at the tail light, that position is "drive" mode. If it has power, that is "tow" mode (Fig.12).
7. Reinstall the t 1-800-669-9690
WIRING INSTRUCTIONS FOR
ROADMASTER, Inc. 6110 NE 127th Ave. Vancouver, WA 98682 360-896-0407 fax 360-735-9300 www.roadmasterinc.com

1. Open the rear hatch and, on each side, pop the plastic cap off the tail light (Fig.1) and remove one T20 Torx attaching the taillight to the rear bumper (Fig.2). Pull the taillight out.
2. On each side, wire with diodes in the usual way but then locate the purple OEM wire and install a third diode on that wire (Fig.3). Connect a new red power wire to the third diode (Fig.4 and 5). Note: You may extend the wires before proceeding in order to to connect to the diodes. Then, run the wire down from the taillight through the rear bumper (Fig.6).
Note: use a longer wire on the passenger side to ensure it can connect to the driver's side power wire in the next step.
3. Use a butt connector to connect the power wires you installed in the previous step.

1-800-669-9690
WIRING INSTRUCTIONS FOR

4. Connect another wire to the bonded flat-four wiring harness you are running to the front of the vehicle. Remove the Torx screw attaching the kick panel on the driver's side (Fig.7, 8 and 9) and tie into the flat-four and install a toggle switch to turn power "on" when towing and "off" when driving. Reassemble the kick panel (Fig.10).
5. Run the flat-four wiring harness through the fire wall and wire it on the post side of the Remote Battery Disconnect. Install a 10 amp fuse on the wire before you connect the power (Fig.11).

6. To verify power and the directionality for the toggle switch, flip switch and check power at the tail light. If there is no power at the tail light, that position is "drive" mode. If it has power, that is "tow" mode (Fig.12).

7. Reinstall the tail lights by reversing step 1.7.
Old 01-02-2021, 07:38 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Brakes locking up underway

Well I got my Nautilus back from the mechanic and hooked it to the coach for a trial run, twice after coming to a stop the LR tire of the towed locked up. It appears that either the Park Brake or the Emergency Park System is activating. Ended up disconnecting towed and drove both to out first stop of this trial run.
I do have a kill switch on the negative side of the battery and it was off when the braking happened, any help would be appreciated
Old 01-02-2021, 08:54 AM   #11

Quote:
Well I got my Nautilus back from the mechanic and hooked it to the coach for a trial run, twice after coming to a stop the LR tire of the towed locked up. It appears that either the Park Brake or the Emergency Park System is activating. Ended up disconnecting towed and drove both to out first stop of this trial run.
I do have a kill switch on the negative side of the battery and it was off when the braking happened, any help would be appreciated
Are you certain it was just the left wheel and not both wheels? What did you do after the first lockup?
Old 01-02-2021, 03:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Wow, that is a tough one. I cannot understand how the brake can engage with no power. What did you do after the first time it locked up to get it to roll?

If you cannot figure it out, have your dealer service manager contact Lincoln service support for technical support. This was done by another owner and got a very comprehensive explanation of everything to do to tow the Nautilus. I am sure they can help. If you get a good explanation, please let us all know as it may be helpful to us in the future.

Good luck in figuring it out.
Old 01-03-2021, 06:26 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFINIT View Post
Wow, that is a tough one. I cannot understand how the brake can engage with no power. What did you do after the first time it locked up to get it to roll?

If you cannot figure it out, have your dealer service manager contact Lincoln service support for technical support. This was done by another owner and got a very comprehensive explanation of everything to do to tow the Nautilus. I am sure they can help. If you get a good explanation, please let us all know as it may be helpful to us in the future.

Good luck in figuring it out.

My installer did work with Lincoln and of course will need to go back to the drawing board with them
And know that the LR wheel was the only one locking up because I was in a right turn and could see h RR turning
After the first incident I went through all the pre flight procedures to no avail when I noticed the brake light in the instrument panel was on. This seemed to me to indicate that the parking brake was on. Got it off and was able to roll, back on the interstate with caution for 20 miles, pulled to a rest stop and did some stops and starts and all is well, got off my exit , stopped at a light , it turns green , there is a line of semi’s behind me, I gun it and drag the Nautilus, tire smoking, through the intersection to a parking lot, disconnect towed and dear wife follows me to our destination. Now there is a flat spot on the LR tire
Old 01-03-2021, 06:36 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
You are unlikely to find the answer to your problem here. You need to work with your dealer, and also call Lincoln’s concierge line. I had problems with a 2010 Lincoln MKT and they were very helpful. My current 2018 Lincoln MKX has towed flawlessly.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad