Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2022, 09:33 PM   #1

2021-2022 Chevy Colorado

Looking to use a 2021-2022 4x4 Colorado to flat tow. Anyone out there have any suggestions or pros and cons on this toad? Thanks.
Jlinnx01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2022, 07:01 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlinnx01 View Post
Looking to use a 2021-2022 4x4 Colorado to flat tow. Anyone out there have any suggestions or pros and cons on this toad? Thanks.
There are a few threads on these forums where people are using the 4WD Colorado as a toad. It seems to be a good choice.

Suggest you also check out this website devoted to the trucks. They tend to refer to toad operation as either flat towing or dinghy towing, as opposed to the term toad.

https://www.coloradofans.com/
Old 05-17-2022, 07:50 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
On my 22, the only issue that I had was trying to fit the Demco/Etrailer baseplates. There was some variation that made it impossible. And the frustration was that the engineer from Demco then wanted me to take a grinder to the plates to get them to fit. I exchanged them for a set of the Blue Ox and no problems found.

Reach out if you have any questions,
Rich
STRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 08:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRich View Post
On my 22, the only issue that I had was trying to fit the Demco/Etrailer baseplates. There was some variation that made it impossible. And the frustration was that the engineer from Demco then wanted me to take a grinder to the plates to get them to fit. I exchanged them for a set of the Blue Ox and no problems found.

Reach out if you have any questions,
Rich
There was a minor change to the front end in 2019, 2020, or 2021, a refresh. I don't remember when this was, but I suspect the change was made then. There also could be some differences with the ZR2 trim that create fit issues.

Glad you were able to find a solution, even if there was a bit of frustration to get there.
Old 05-18-2022, 07:21 AM   #5

The only issue I'm aware of is the need for a battery disconnect while towing.

That probably isnt a big problem, but was the main reason I didn't consider one as a toad.
GWBGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 10:40 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
As many have done, I installed a quick battery disconnect switch under the hood. I like the fact that once you put the transfer case into neutral, you have no speed limits or the need to start the engine to circulate oil in the transmission.
STRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 07:08 AM   #7

I have. 22 GMC Canyon with Blue Ox baseplate, Demco Stay N Play brake system, Roadmaster Battery Disconnect and a dedicated battery charge line. Let me know if you have any questions.
Funengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 09:18 PM   #8

22 Canyon AT4

Setting up my new Canyon AT4 for flat tow. Using Roadmaster equipment. Question is the towing process. Reading the Manuel, “The engine is on, transmission in neutral when moving the transfer case to neutral , then turn engine off and move transmission to PARK, and tow vehicle in the parked position. Is that correct ? Do you have to have your foot on the brake for this process ?
Dr. Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 07:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Den View Post
Setting up my new Canyon AT4 for flat tow. Using Roadmaster equipment. Question is the towing process. Reading the Manuel, “The engine is on, transmission in neutral when moving the transfer case to neutral , then turn engine off and move transmission to PARK, and tow vehicle in the parked position. Is that correct ? Do you have to have your foot on the brake for this process ?
Never did this with a Colorado/Canyon, but I did with my Wrangler. You may have to let up off the brake to allow the gears to disengage (and to engage when disconnecting.)

The thing you have to understand with this process, once you have put the transfer case in neutral, all 4 wheels are freewheeling. I am assuming you are hooked up to the MH hitch at this point, but if not, the vehicle is free to roll about. Putting the transmission in park does nothing in regards to the parking brake pawl.

I hope my caution in regards to rolling makes sense, someone else may be able to better explain it.
Old 05-20-2022, 08:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Den View Post
On my 2022 Ranger, you have to have the foot on the brake. It's a safety thing.

I imagine the Canyon would have a similar safety feature. Your manual should give the details on that.
Old 05-24-2022, 06:17 AM   #11

Thanks for info on Colorado/Canyon. With negative terminal disconnected, my supplemental brake system requires power, is disconnecting necessary? My current toad, Honda CRV battery is charged when motor home running lights or lights are on. Colorado manual says damage could occur if battery is not disconnected, could damage vehicle, not sure what that could be.
Old 05-24-2022, 07:27 AM   #12

Quote:
Thanks for info on Colorado/Canyon. With negative terminal disconnected, my supplemental brake system requires power, is disconnecting necessary? My current toad, Honda CRV battery is charged when motor home running lights or lights are on. Colorado manual says damage could occur if battery is not disconnected, could damage vehicle, not sure what that could be.
I don't know the issues why the disconnect is required, but it may have to do with the electrical power steering as opposed to hydraulic power steering.
Old 05-24-2022, 08:34 AM   #13

Quote:
I've searched the internet and there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer. The three most common answers are... damage to the electric power steering, damaging the onboard electronics, draining the battery.

The battery drain could be solved with a charge line which would be an easier answer if that were the case. Ford Ranger and F150 have electric PS and don't require a battery disconnect, so I'm not sure why Chevy would be different.

There's obviously something, but it doesn't really matter. You need a battery disconnect to flat tow a Colorado.
Old 05-24-2022, 11:44 AM   #14

I currently use RVI brake as supplemental brake, requires a power source which is an accessory plug. On CRV plug remains hot with ignition off. Unless accessory plug is directly wired to battery I would not be able to use brake with battery disconnected.

Tags
chevy, colorado