Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2021, 10:10 AM   #15

Brake Buddy is not insurance. It's kind of the opposite, actually, for a 2400-lb toad. You need extra insurance to cover situations like, I dunno, BB locking up somewhere outside a Two Mules Arizona, setting your car on fire. Assuming insurance covers such a thing. (I'll let you know in a couple of days.)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2021, 05:09 AM   #16

Still making Spark toad choices...

Thanks for the info being shared, Spark Towers (and Brake Buddy users... and fearers).

I'm still learning a lot from you all. More please!

First, re the Spark ground clearance and where I got that "larger tires and/or wheels" notion. I found this website:

https://groundclearances.com/chevrol...und-clearance/

At least for the 2019, it says its an option. I checked the site's data on a diff car I know well, and it was sound. So, still wondering if the tire options exist for a little more room from bumps and dips in a gravel road under the Spark. Tire sizing confuses me, but some tire seller searches do in fact list multiple sizes possible for a Spark. Or...am I just reading this stuff all wrong? Or being misled?

As for braking devices, I do think I will be using one even though it seems like overkill for tiny Spark, but what a scary topic! I just want some breakaway braking assurance, but I sure don't want fried RV brakes. Lots of reading on this topic on this forum, so I will keep at it. Any additional specifics ate always welcome though, so thanks for follow-up. I'm looking into surge brakes at the moment if this triggers any thought.

Finally, about the tow hookup: I'd really value hearing what Spark users have chosen. Even a 4k rating seems like overkill for a 2500lb tow, but I will enjoy some confidence from the over-engineering thing I guess. I am particularly interested in plate choices as well...I may be mismatching brands on this, according to the options I like at E-trailer (a Demco bar with a ???? plate,).

Thanks again for the help everyone.
MrMyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 04:36 PM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Larger tires - they won't fit under the strut coil-overs. YMMV
BrakeBuddy - On my second used one, they're actually quite simple - open one up and take a look. Towed about 10K miles with one, never an issue. My first one was a refurb bought from the original inventor. After he sold the company he had a few of them lying around from warranty replacements - went through them and tested - $500. That one served me for about 14 years.

The water separator glass bowl broke so I replaced it with an aftermarket. It worked for a trip or two, then had trouble with it holding air. I replaced all of the pressure lines, but there was some kind of fitting problem with the press-fit connections. I found a lightly used on in the next county over from a retired RV'r for $300. Works really great, looks like new.

Tow bars, baseplates - I'm a BlueOx diehard fan. As mentioned up thread, I've setup at least four or five vehicles for towing - they all got a blueox baseplate except the jeep - it towing tangs welded to the aftermarket winch bumper.

And I've had the same towbar since buying it off CL about twelve years ago - it's the old style round tube 10K lb one. Paid a couple of hundred for it, it's been great.

I tried to find a stock image of the old style tow-bar, don't see anything like it.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 12:54 PM   #18

Jayco Owners Club
Chris & Sherry, glad to see your post about the spark, we just bought a 2015 spark to pull behind our class c, I am shopping for a brake system, then I saw your post about the brake buddy, was wondering how it fits, which position your key is in, and do you disconnect the battery. I was thinking about running a wire to trickle charge the batter.
appreciate your thoughts, Larry
eaglelmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 02:59 PM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglelmc View Post
Chris & Sherry, glad to see your post about the spark, we just bought a 2015 spark to pull behind our class c, I am shopping for a brake system, then I saw your post about the brake buddy, was wondering how it fits, which position your key is in, and do you disconnect the battery. I was thinking about running a wire to trickle charge the batter.
appreciate your thoughts, Larry

Turns out the little Spark wife calls Zippy, drives like a champ. With the manual trans it's plenty zippy. LOL

BrakeBuddy fits in the foot well no problem. Yes, I disconnect the battery - otherwise the electric power steering stays powered up, as well as traction control, and can interfere. So instead of plugging into the cigar lighter, I ran a direct fused lead from the battery, along with the breakaway leads, through the firewall, and connects to the brake unit with an SAE connector. Breakaway to the brake unit. At the battery end, the fused lead is connected to a post on the plus side, the negative lead has an aligator clip that goes on the post when you disconnect the battery cable. It runs so little, I've never had a battery drain problem on any of my rigs. I setup the surge braking sensitivity at level 4, so it only brakes on hard braking. The last trip was 800 miles and I think it engaged once.

I leave the ignition off, but each year Spark is a little different, so just make sure when your key is off that you don't have a steering lock. On the new ones, there is no steering lock with the manual trans, which really surprised me - no anti-theft at all there. So manual trans in neutral, key off, ebrake off, battery disconnected, it tows like it's not even there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001(87).jpg
Views:	37
Size:	343.1 KB
ID:	337821  
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 12:07 PM   #20

Jayco Owners Club
CJ, thanks very much for your reply, I’ve decided to go with the brake buddy, will let you know how it looks when all set up, Larry
eaglelmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 09:12 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglelmc View Post
CJ, thanks very much for your reply, I’ve decided to go with the brake buddy, will let you know how it looks when all set up, Larry
Great to see the feedback on the Spark. I was looking through a recent Dinghy Guide and was surprised how few cars there are for 4-down towing these days. Our PT Cruiser has 104k miles on it, and it was going to be time for front end work so I was looking at whether to fix it or buy something new. The Spark was one that caught my eye. The PT Cruiser (with manual trans) is really a great toad-- put it in neutral, unlock the steering and go. It is 250 lbs over my preferred 3,000 lb limit, but that's the only thing I'd change.

I decided to keep the Cruiser and spent the last few days putting struts, CV axles and sway bar bushings on it. I'd already done control arms and ball joints a few months back. These cars get a bad rap as being hard to work on, and it's true that replacing the timing belt, alternator or rear engine mount on this car are not fun jobs. But the suspension is super easy to work on, and parts are cheap. Doing the work myself I don't think I spent more than $500 for everything including the control arms with ball joints already in them. Strut replacement took all of 20-30 minutes per side.

So hopefully we're good for another 100k miles, but if the Cruiser ever goes south I'll look at the Spark as it looks functionally very similar to what we have, but 1,000 lbs less.
Old 08-19-2021, 03:23 PM   #22

We are towing our 2019 Spark with our 2013 Itaska Reyo, which is a Sprinter based Mercedes.
It tows like it is not there, except our camera sees it. We have a trailer hitch for carring three bicycles. We tow without brakes with no problem, as we seldom go over 60. It is a great Toad. No problems. We have an OX. We turn off the battery with a battery switch. Thanks.
barling1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 06:04 PM   #23

2021 Chevy Spark LS

Hello.
Please tell me what tow bar and brake you recommend.
Thank you for all your help.
MandMCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 06:18 PM   #24

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by barling1 View Post
We tow without brakes with no problem, as we seldom go over 60. .
Yeah!

What happens when something fails and your car rolls into oncoming traffic?

Tags
brake, chevy, toad