Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-05-2021, 10:11 AM   #1

2021 Chevy Trailblazer Activ

Good day: For those of you who flat tow the 2021 Chevy Trailblazer Activ, we have questions as follows:

1) The Trailblazer Activ has a button to take the vehicle out of 2WD and place it in AWD. Step 3 of the 7 step process outlined in the owners manual requires for the vehicle to be placed in Neutral. Step 6 of the process requires for negative battery terminal to be disconnected. Upon completing Step 6 all electric power to the vehicle is removed. At
that point does the vehicle default to 2WD or does in remain in AWD? The Owners Manual does to address this question.

2) With exception of the Trailblazer L, which is 2WD only, the remaining Trailblazer trim out (e.g. LS, RS, LT) are the combination of 2WD to AWD by pressing the button to activate the AWD feature. Does Chevy make the 2021 Trailblazer with an AWD only feature?

3). Does 2WD as referred to in the Owners Manual mean ďfront wheel driveĒ or ďrear wheel driveĒ?

Thank you in advance for your respective responses.
Kycandycrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2021, 06:12 AM   #2

Response embedded, below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kycandycrn View Post
Good day: For those of you who flat tow the 2021 Chevy Trailblazer Activ, we have questions as follows:

1) The Trailblazer Activ has a button to take the vehicle out of 2WD and place it in AWD. Step 3 of the 7 step process outlined in the owners manual requires for the vehicle to be placed in Neutral. Step 6 of the process requires for negative battery terminal to be disconnected. Upon completing Step 6 all electric power to the vehicle is removed. At
that point does the vehicle default to 2WD or does in remain in AWD? The Owners Manual does to address this question.
Curious question, but only that. What difference would it make, and what could be done about it with power disconnected?

2) With exception of the Trailblazer L, which is 2WD only, the remaining Trailblazer trim out (e.g. LS, RS, LT) are the combination of 2WD to AWD by pressing the button to activate the AWD feature. Does Chevy make the 2021 Trailblazer with an AWD only feature?
No

3). Does 2WD as referred to in the Owners Manual mean ďfront wheel driveĒ or ďrear wheel driveĒ?
The Trailblazer is a front wheel drive vehicle with rear engagement as needed (if equipped with AWD), so 2WD=FWD

Thank you in advance for your respective responses.
Old 05-06-2021, 08:13 AM   #3

Here is the process that I use and it was confirmed by Chevy. The manual is wrong on one part you have to put Trailblazer in service mode before shifting to neutral.

1.Position the vehicle to tow and then secure it to the tow vehicle.
2. Apply the parking brake.
3. Put the vehicle into Service mode by pressing ENGINE START/STOP for a couple seconds until green light appears without the brake pedal applied.
4. Shift the transmission to N (Neutral). The chime will ring continuously for
30 seconds. Leave the transmission in N (Neutral) (you have to apply brake pedal to put into neutral)
5. Release the parking brake.
6. Disconnect battery
7. Go (do not lock door)
Old 05-06-2021, 02:01 PM   #4

Thank you for your respective responses. As respects to Question 1 of my initial post, my curiosity is piqued regarding disconnecting the negative cable and the statement ďwhat difference does it makeĒ.

Iíll attempt to explain my quandary and/or
curiosity: Itís a fact that only AWD Trailblazers can be flat towed. We recently purchased the 2021 Trailblazer Activ for that specific purpose. Since disconnecting the negative terminal cable prior to flat towing an AWD is a requirement and thus directly has an impact on all four wheels turning freely, then why wouldnít the same hold true for the 2WD Trailblazer ( i. e. wouldnít all four wheels turn freely upon disconnecting the negative battery cable)? Forgive me as Iím just trying to understand the difference for flat towing the AWD and not the 2WD.

Also, again Iím so appreciative for your responses on this forum as Iím getting far more satisfaction and answers than Iíve received over the past 2 plus days from the dealership where we purchased the vehicle...thank you, thank you!
Old 05-06-2021, 02:32 PM   #5

One piece of information which the dealership did provide to me is dinghy tow set up instructions which is an amendment to the instructions provided in the Owners Manual and differs slightly from the set up instructions kindly provided in an earlier post under this same thread. I donít know how to upload the amendment for viewing but will happily do so if someone can provide me with specific instructions on how to do so.

Thank you
Old 05-06-2021, 06:48 PM   #6

2021 Chevy Trailblazer

The information to sent to me by my Chevrolet dealer is an amendment to the like instructions in the owners manual. Under the heading "Recreational Vehicle Towing (Page 2 of 4) "dinghy towing" please reference Step 2 under heading "To disconnect the towed vehicle." Step 2 requires "Apply the parking brake". The parking brake in the Trailblazer Activ (not certain about other Trailblazer models) is electric. As such, the electric parking brake will not work prior to reconnecting the negative battery cable. With that, it would seem that Step 5 under said section should be moved to Step 2 with all subsequent step numbers accordingly.

2021_05_05_16_25_05 (2).pdf
Old 05-07-2021, 06:19 AM   #7

Regarding the disconnect procedure, you are correct. The parking brake is electric and therefore not available with battery disconnected. Yet another error in the manual.

As for the AWD vs 2WD, my only guess is that there must be something different in the running gear between the 2 models. I would suspect some sort of lubrication pump is being driven off the rotating wheels of the AWD that is not there with the 2WD. My suspicion only, no facts to support it.
Old 05-07-2021, 07:52 AM   #8

When I was looking at the TB for a toad I asked that questions of the Chevy dealer they did confirm that the FWD and AWD have different transmission. Only the AWD can be flat towed based on this discussion.
Old 05-08-2021, 06:09 AM   #9

Thanks to all for taking the time to field and respond to our numerous questions regarding our Trailblazer Activ. Each of you have been far more helpful than the dealership where we purchased our Trailblazer and/or the Chevrolet Customer Assistance whom we called on 3 different occasions to 1) have the Owners Manual on these specific topics read back to us and interpreted for us, 2) be provided with an incorrect email address (initially we really thought that we were making progress on that one) and 3) be placed on hold for approximately 8 minutes only for the representative to come back and attempt to confirm our questions (she thought we were attempting to tow a recreational vehicle with our Trailblazer) only to then be somehow inadvertently disconnected!

Again, thank you for your time, diligence and thoroughness in which you answered our questions!

Tags
chevy