Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2020, 08:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarz272000 View Post
The new 2021 Chevy Trailblazer can be used as a toad. Only limited to 70mph. Do not have to run vehicle at fuel stop. My only concern is one has to disconnect negative battery cable and isolate it from the negative post. I am thinking one could place an electrical tape wrapped cap over negative post and even wrap negative harness with rubber to keep them isolated. It is tight in there and upward movement of negative connecting harness is limited. Here are directions to convert to a toad.

1.Position the vehicle to tow and then secure it to the tow vehicle.
2. Apply the parking brake.
3. Put the vehicle into ACC/ACCESSORY by pressing ENGINE START/STOP one time without the brake pedal applied.
4. Shift the transmission to N (Neutral). The chime will ring continuously for
30 seconds. Leave the transmission in N (Neutral).
5. Release the parking brake.
6. Disconnect the negative battery cable at the battery. See “Negative Battery Cable Disconnection” under Battery - North America p 261.
7. Cover the negative battery post with a non-conductive material to prevent any contact with the negative battery terminal.

Any comments? Or a good way to cover/isolate the negative battery post?

Thanks

Ron
Hello Ron. I'm not sure I'm replying correctly. I just picked up a new 2021Trail Blazer. I'm following the manual, as well as your directions to be able to flat tow it. However, after pushing the start/stop engine button to put it into accessory mode, I can't shift the transmission into neutral. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance. Dennis
djargyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2020, 08:40 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by djargyle View Post
Hello Ron. I'm not sure I'm replying correctly. I just picked up a new 2021Trail Blazer. I'm following the manual, as well as your directions to be able to flat tow it. However, after pushing the start/stop engine button to put it into accessory mode, I can't shift the transmission into neutral. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance. Dennis

Are you depressing the brake pedal when attempting to shift?
Old 09-03-2020, 06:25 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bydnar View Post
Are you depressing the brake pedal when attempting to shift?
Yes, I have tried it both by depressing the brake pedal, and not depressing the brake pedal; neither seem to work. I have tried in accessory mode (with keyless start, the light on the push button is amber in color). If I push the start button and hold it in, without depressing the brake pedal (so it doesn't start), the color turns to green. Then I can shift into neutral. I don't think that is the way it's supposed to work though, right?
Old 09-03-2020, 07:12 AM   #18

Quote:
Yes, I have tried it both by depressing the brake pedal, and not depressing the brake pedal; neither seem to work. I have tried in accessory mode (with keyless start, the light on the push button is amber in color). If I push the start button and hold it in, without depressing the brake pedal (so it doesn't start), the color turns to green. Then I can shift into neutral. I don't think that is the way it's supposed to work though, right?
I'm not quite sure on why Chevrolet instructs the accessory mode. I just tried mine. The trans shifter will not move in acc mode, brake pedal or not.

I usually have the engine running when going through the process, so I guess I've never done the accessory mode.

By memory:
1. Start the engine and run up to warm temps if not already at running temp.
2. Align to the towbar and make all those connections (with engine still running)
3. With engine still running, I shift to reverse and slowly backup until at least one of the telescoping towbar arms locks into place.
4. Shift trans to neutral
5. Shutoff engine (cautionary dings will occur)
6. Install auxiliary braking (RVi3 in my case)
7. Open hood and disconnect battery
8. Close hood
9. Go

Notes:
DO NOT lock doors before disconnecting the battery. You'll not be able to open the door to open the hood to reconnect the battery without going through the dead battery process of unlocking the doors.

Upon reconnecting the battery, the only issue I have come across is the window indexing. Re-indexing is as simple as running it open and then closed. The driver's information center displays the instructions.

I have asked numerous Chevrolet employees and tech line people why the battery disconnect. No definitive answer. My assumption is that with the numerous electric and electronic gizmos, disconnecting the battery is warranted. I want to know, but without answers, I'm just following the instructions.
Old 09-03-2020, 07:42 AM   #19

Quote:
I'm not quite sure on why Chevrolet instructs the accessory mode. I just tried mine. The trans shifter will not move in acc mode, brake pedal or not.

I usually have the engine running when going through the process, so I guess I've never done the accessory mode.

By memory:
1. Start the engine and run up to warm temps if not already at running temp.
2. Align to the towbar and make all those connections (with engine still running)
3. With engine still running, I shift to reverse and slowly backup until at least one of the telescoping towbar arms locks into place.
4. Shift trans to neutral
5. Shutoff engine (cautionary dings will occur)
6. Install auxiliary braking (RVi3 in my case)
7. Open hood and disconnect battery
8. Close hood
9. Go

Notes:
DO NOT lock doors before disconnecting the battery. You'll not be able to open the door to open the hood to reconnect the battery without going through the dead battery process of unlocking the doors.

Upon reconnecting the battery, the only issue I have come across is the window indexing. Re-indexing is as simple as running it open and then closed. The driver's information center displays the instructions.

I have asked numerous Chevrolet employees and tech line people why the battery disconnect. No definitive answer. My assumption is that with the numerous electric and electronic gizmos, disconnecting the battery is warranted. I want to know, but without answers, I'm just following the instructions.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I feel so much better now. I kept trying and reading last night for over an hour. We flat towed a jeep commander for years, no issues. I was starting to rethink my decision. I really appreciate the help!

Moving another question. My blue ox tow bar is 14 years old. Time for a new one?
Old 09-03-2020, 07:50 AM   #20

Quote:

Moving another question. My blue ox tow bar is 14 years old. Time for a new one?
You're very welcome. I'm glad I was able to smooth things out for you.

I believe Blue Ox recommends a 10 year life. I wish they would put that in towed miles, but they say years.

They DO have a rebuild program. The shipping costs to and from Pender would be high, but it will get refurbished, possibly. They might not even do it at that age.

Call BlueOx. I have had good experiences with them on the customer service side. There should be a serial number stamped into the bar, somewhere. Find it before calling.

Let's see...a new $30,000 car on a questionable bar, or invest $1,000 on a new one. Hmmm...I'd go for the new bar. But that's just me.
Old 09-03-2020, 08:19 AM   #21

Quote:
You're very welcome. I'm glad I was able to smooth things out for you.

I believe Blue Ox recommends a 10 year life. I wish they would put that in towed miles, but they say years.

They DO have a rebuild program. The shipping costs to and from Pender would be high, but it will get refurbished, possibly. They might not even do it at that age.

Call BlueOx. I have had good experiences with them on the customer service side. There should be a serial number stamped into the bar, somewhere. Find it before calling.

Let's see...a new $30,000 car on a questionable bar, or invest $1,000 on a new one. Hmmm...I'd go for the new bar. But that's just me.
I couldn't agree more. I look at the bar like tires on the coach. You replace based on age, before you replace them based on mileage. I am comparing the pricing for new base plate and tow bar set up versus an all aluminum open trailer. Trailers can be a pain, I get it; however, you don't have to go through the changeover.

Again, thanks for the help. If you are ever in Petoskey, let us know. We stay in Hearthside Grove a lot, I would buy you a drink of choice.
Old 09-05-2020, 07:43 PM   #22

D
Quote:
Sorry for my tardiness. We just got back from Ludington SP.
I just purchased a Trailblazer as well. I cannot shift to neutral either. I might take it to Chevy dealer to see what they say. I shall also call Chevy.

General RV may be ok if they do a lot of baseplates. You could call them and ask some inquiring questions. The one in Mt Clemens has done good work for installing an new axle on a travel trailer but it took a long time. I plan to go to a shop in Maumee Ohio that does a lot of base plates. It’s about an hour from me in Clinton Township Michigan.

I any on the fence with my tow bar as well. Also whether to add diode light kit or use magnetic tail lights. Previous owner gave me tow bar, patriot brake and all kinds of misc stuff to tow. I plan to haul it haul to the shop and see what they recommend.

bydnars directions are the best so far. I will use that method unless Chevy can solve the shift item. Thanks bydnar.

I will update as I know more.

Ron
Sarz272000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 09:47 AM   #23

Update
I talked to Chevy technical assistance and they confirmed I can’t shift into neutral per owners manual procedure. They created a ticket. I have appointment with dealer next Monday to review procedure with a technician. If they also confirm it they will seek Chevy engineering help.

I have no problem shifting into neutral with it running. However, I want a written confirmation that it is ok since it is not what is stated in the owners manual.

Ron
Old 09-14-2020, 10:09 AM   #24

Bydnar

DO NOT lock doors before disconnecting the battery. You'll not be able to open the door to open the hood to reconnect the battery without going through the dead battery process of unlocking the doors..[/QUOTE]

Do you manually lock doors after disconnecting battery? Not understanding your dead battery process because one can use the fob key to manually unlock door.

Ron
Old 09-14-2020, 10:12 AM   #25

Quote:
Where did you have trail blazer set up? We just picked up one tonight. I'm in Saginaw, MI. I'm thinking General RV?
Have you decided where to get a base plate installed? GRV is a certified Blue Ox installer.

Ron
Old 09-14-2020, 10:28 AM   #26

Quote:
Electronic Power Steering? That's the reason for the Colorado battery disconnect.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 08:21 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarz272000 View Post
Bydnar

DO NOT lock doors before disconnecting the battery. You'll not be able to open the door to open the hood to reconnect the battery without going through the dead battery process of unlocking the doors..
Do you manually lock doors after disconnecting battery? Not understanding your dead battery process because one can use the fob key to manually unlock door.

Ron[/QUOTE]

No I do not lock the doors after or at any time while I'm towing. The door locks are electrically operated. Without the battery, they will not work. You can, however access the mechanical lock. For example in the owners manual opening the door with a dead battery. You need to pry off the painted cap over the driver's door handle to gain access to the key lock tumbler. The key is buried/hidden in the fob. Something I hope to never have to do. Please see the attached screenshot from the manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
Electronic Power Steering? That's the reason for the Colorado battery disconnect.
My assumption too, as well as electrically assisted brakes?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	door lock.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	243.5 KB
ID:	301141  
Old 09-21-2020, 02:15 PM   #28

FYI
Went to Chevy dealer and worked with a service technician. He said owners manual procedure to dinghy tow 2021 Trailblazer is wrong. He said should put vehicle in Service mode instead of accessory mode. See new procedures below.

1.Position the vehicle to tow and then secure it to the tow vehicle.
2. Apply the parking brake.
3. Put the vehicle into Service mode by pressing ENGINE START/STOP for a couple seconds until green light appears without the brake pedal applied.
4. Shift the transmission to N (Neutral). The chime will ring continuously for
30 seconds. Leave the transmission in N (Neutral).
5. Release the parking brake.
6. Disconnect the negative battery cable at the battery. See “Negative Battery Cable Disconnection” under Battery - North America p 261.
7. Cover the negative battery post with a non-conductive material to prevent any contact with the negative battery terminal.

Tags
chevy, toad