Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-25-2022, 06:31 AM   #1
CLR

2022 Chevy Equinox Towing ?

I have a 2022 Chevy Equinox. Setting it up to tow on all 4.
I am curious to hear from other owners on the following items.

1. Does the millage add up when towing?
2. Is there a Fuse to pull or can I add a battery kill switch?
3. The manual says something about an alarm going off in tow mode for the first 30 minutes, is this correct?

Thanks in advance for any and all information
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2022, 09:22 AM   #2

I flat tow a 2021 Chevy AWD Equinox.

1. Does the millage add up when towing? Never looked but read this https://www.etrailer.com/question-475719.html

2. Is there a Fuse to pull or can I add a battery kill switch? No fuse to pull or battery switch to install........install a permanent RVI towed battery charger https://rvibrake.com/products/towed-...nt=Catch%20All
for $135

3. The manual says something about an alarm going off in tow mode for the first 30 minutes, is this correct? Yes
Old 11-25-2022, 01:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp CA View Post

1. Does the millage add up when towing? Never looked but read this https://www.etrailer.com/question-475719.html

2. Is there a Fuse to pull or can I add a battery kill switch? No fuse to pull or battery switch to install........install a permanent RVI towed battery charger https://rvibrake.com/products/towed-...nt=Catch%20All
for $135

3. The manual says something about an alarm going off in tow mode for the first 30 minutes, is this correct? Yes

RVI towed battery charger..."NOT recommended for 2019-present Chevy Equinox."
Old 11-25-2022, 05:03 PM   #4
CLR

Quote:

for $135

Thanks,
I did go with the RVI equipment
Old 11-25-2022, 06:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLR View Post
Thanks,
I did go with the RVI equipment
Doesn't it say not recommended for 2019 to present Equinox?
Old 11-25-2022, 11:24 PM   #6

What is the concern with a trickle changer? I have had no issues towing for 6 hours.
Old 11-25-2022, 11:50 PM   #7

Quote:
What is the concern with a trickle changer? I have had no issues towing for 6 hours.
You'll have to ask the manufacturer RVI(?).
Old 11-26-2022, 07:01 AM   #8
CLR

Battery Charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
RVI towed battery charger..."NOT recommended for 2019-present Chevy Equinox."
I guess I will be calling RVI on Monday I ordered the charger. Etrailer has a 15 amp circuit breaker, Maybe the amperage is not High enough in the RVI. https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...RM-156-25.html
Old 11-26-2022, 11:11 AM   #9
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp CA
It depends on what you mean by "trickle charger" precisely. Which make and model do you use?

Unless Chevy has changed the electrical on the 2021 Equinox, which I doubt, or unless RVi has changed the design of their Towed Battery Charger, which I doubt, the RVi TBC will not deliver its rated full 10 amps to an Equinox but other brands do.

The Equinox draws almost 8 amps from the car's battery when configured for flat towing. While the RVi TBC should be able to handle that requirement, barely, it didn't for me and for others.

From all of the testing I did on my 2020 Equinox with the RVi TBC it felt like their box cuts back on the supplied charging current due to the Equinox's high current needs. The two I got from RVi would not supply more than 3.5 amps to the Equinox but would supply the full 10 amps to a resistive load.

So 3.5 amps was going into the battery from the RVi Towed Battery Charger while the car was pulling almost 8 amps out. From its behavior it felt like the RVi TBC thought there was a short circuit so it reduced the amount of power it would deliver to avoid damage to the TBC.

"Why" is just speculation and experience on my part.

In addition, their specs page says the TBC only uses 16 AWG wire when that high a current drain by the Equinox should use 14 AWG minimum and preferably 12 AWG due to the length of the wiring.

With the RVi TBC installed my Equinox battery was low within two hours of towing. The car started slower but did start. Once I jumped the TBC out we have had no battery issues for three years.

FWIW,

Ray
Old 11-26-2022, 11:59 AM   #10

It says this in the RVI details:

True Charging: This is not just a trickle charger

All towed vehicles are not created the same. With so many varying types, each one draws different amounts of power on the battery when in tow mode. The Towed Battery Charger Plus is an on-demand system that not only trickle charges vehicles that have little draw, but can charge up to 10 amps when there is a high parasitic drain on the battery when flat towing.
NOTE: Towed Battery Charger Plus is compatible with all 12 volt batteries including trailers. NOT recommended for 2019-present Chevy Equinox
Old 11-28-2022, 04:52 PM   #11

Spoke to RVi technical service and they told me that some Equinox owners have complained about dead batteries after being towed and while others have not. Hopefully I am one those that have not even after towing for 6 hours. They recommended installing a 15 or 20 amp trickle charger. What I plan to do on my next trip is to check the battery volts before and after being towed and amp draw when hooked up AND carry a battery jumper and charger on my next trip just in case the battery goes dead.
Old 11-28-2022, 05:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Spoke to RVi technical service and they told me that some Equinox owners have complained about dead batteries after being towed and while others have not. Hopefully I am one those that have not even after towing for 6 hours. They recommended installing a 15 or 20 amp trickle charger. What I plan to do on my next trip is to check the battery volts before and after being towed and amp draw when hooked up AND carry a battery jumper and charger on my next trip just in case the battery goes dead.
Old 11-29-2022, 07:32 AM   #13
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp CA
Spoke to RVi technical service and they told me that some Equinox owners have complained about dead batteries after being towed and while others have not.
Color me skeptical. A company is not going to exclude one of the most popular brands of vehicles from their products unless they have a solid reason.

Quote:
They recommended installing a 15 or 20 amp trickle charger.
And they just confirmed their problem with that statement.

Quote:
What I plan to do on my next trip is to check the battery volts before and after being towed and amp draw when hooked up AND carry a battery jumper and charger on my next trip just in case the battery goes dead.
Put your clamp-on ammeter on the negative cables of the car battery and just open the door. On my 2020 the car pulls over 8 amps just by opening the door and it firing the computers and screens up.

Then start the car and my alternator puts 50 - 80 amps into the battery for a short period of time to get it topped off.

Then put the car into tow mode and see how many amps are pulled from the battery with the door closed. Mine is almost 8 amps.

Then put the clamp-on ammeter on the wire coming from the RVi TBC to the car's battery. If it's less amps trying to charge the battery than is going out from the battery in towing mode you will have the problem.

Ray
Old 11-29-2022, 09:37 AM   #14
CLR

I was told yesterday and if you look at etrailer, a 15 amp circuit breaker is what we need, for charging. Yesterday, RVI told me their charging system does not go up to 15 amps. That is why it is not recommended.

Tags
chevy, tow, towing