Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2023, 06:27 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Heartland RV Club
Jayco Owners Club
2023 Jeep Wrangler w/Diesel engine - Blue-Ox tow bars fit OK?

We are about to take delivery of a 2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited "FarOut" with the 3.0L Turbo Diesel engine.

I assumed that Blue Ox tow bars would work fine on this Wrangler, as they have on several of my Wranglers, with the 3.6L Pentastar gas engine, in the past.

But, then I wondered if the diesel engine would make any difference with regard to fitting Blue-Ox tow bars?

Does anyone here know if the Blue Ox tow bars will fit with the 2023 Rubicon FarOut and 3.0L Turbo Diesel engine?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2023, 06:03 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
We are about to take delivery of a 2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited "FarOut" with the 3.0L Turbo Diesel engine.

I assumed that Blue Ox tow bars would work fine on this Wrangler, as they have on several of my Wranglers, with the 3.6L Pentastar gas engine, in the past.

But, then I wondered if the diesel engine would make any difference with regard to fitting Blue-Ox tow bars?

Does anyone here know if the Blue Ox tow bars will fit with the 2023 Rubicon FarOut and 3.0L Turbo Diesel engine?
A quick phone call to Blue Ox will tell you exactly what you want to know without the speculation you might get on forums.
Old 01-15-2023, 06:26 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Heartland RV Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSuper View Post
A quick phone call to Blue Ox will tell you exactly what you want to know without the speculation you might get on forums.
Yes, indeed. My plan is to call them first thing Monday morning. Just thought someone else here might have first-hand experience with this.
Old 01-15-2023, 09:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post

That’s interesting, a Jeep with a diesel. I reckon I never gave that much thought. I would be interested to know how you like it a year from now and why you chose to get a diesel when you ordered.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 10:03 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you want to know more about it read this from Motor Trend:

Motor Trend Review.

It is on the 2020 model year but I suspect that little has changed. Motor Trend thinks it is a winner!
Old 01-15-2023, 12:17 PM   #6

I think you will find the answer is yes but - Unless you are installing the kit yourself I would recommend a discussion with a blue ox installer because they know all the nuances of the vehicle meaning tow characteristics and the "gotcha" issues. I assume you have the same motor and transmission as my Ram Ecodiesel and they are the perfect candidate for towing (one button drivetrain release) hence why you see so many of them behind a Class A. My truck is a little long for a toad so it "trails" meaning it's easy to put it up on a curb. I think the Jeep is not so long, and also perfect for adventures.
Iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 02:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloduster View Post
If you want to know more about it read this from Motor Trend:

Motor Trend Review.

It is on the 2020 model year but I suspect that little has changed. Motor Trend thinks it is a winner!
The 3.0 diesel is improved certainly - I get 30 mpg on the freeway. With a delete you can do even better. You do need a pedal commander with these motors otherwise the throttle lag is really irritating.
Iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 09:30 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Heartland RV Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceclimber View Post
The 3.0 diesel is improved certainly - I get 30 mpg on the freeway. With a delete you can do even better. You do need a pedal commander with these motors otherwise the throttle lag is really irritating.
Thanks, everyone for chiming in.

Iceclimber... would you please elaborate? I don't know what a "delete" is, nor a "pedal commander".

Didn't notice any throttle lag at all during a few test drives. The low end torque is fantastic. Smooth and potent engine in the Wrangler! I think the current EcoDiesel is the third version of this engine.

In my view, the 3.0L Turbo Diesel is the nicest engine of the FIVE different Wrangler engine offerings (actually, I test drove four, but didn't drive the 5th option, the 392 V8 engine, though.... just way too much $$$,$$$).

Unfortunately, as of November 2022, the 3.0L V6 Turbo Diesel engine can no longer be ordered in Wrangler SUVs. These Rubicons are rapidly becoming very few and very far between on dealer lots. Only three left in the state of Arizona, as far as I can tell. During the three days I was shopping them, last week, they were being snatched up while I was looking at them - I needed to jump fast to snag the one I really wanted.

You can still order the turbo diesel in the Jeep Gladiator, however. I guess Jeep felt that FIVE engine offerings for the Wrangler was a bit much and of course now they're trying to push everyone into the 4Xe (elec and 4-cyl hybrid) or the 4-cylinder 2.0L engine. I'm guessing that the venerable V6 gas engine probably has sights on its back, as well. Unfortunate days for engine options in vehicles these days. Manufacturers are doing their best to force us into engines that we may not really want to buy.
Old 01-15-2023, 10:57 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Heartland RV Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Road View Post
That’s interesting, a Jeep with a diesel. I reckon I never gave that much thought. I would be interested to know how you like it a year from now and why you chose to get a diesel when you ordered.
Why I bought the turbo diesel engine?
I've had three Wranglers in the past - all with the V6 gas engine, which is a decent engine. When shopping for a Wrangler last week I learned that I had the choice of five engines. One of the five is the 392 V8 engine, which I'm sure is sweet, but is priced so high that I didn't consider it in the running.

Of the other four engines, all but the 3.0L V6 Turbo Diesel felt barely adequate in power to me. Yes, they can certainly get the rig up and moving decently, but when asking for power they all felt stressed and buzzy sounding like they were just working their guts out - not a very enjoyable engine experience for me.

The turbo diesel, on the other hand, has massive low end torque and feels smooth and potent compared to the other options. Both my wife and I immediately felt the difference when pulling away from the curb.

Granted, I'm coming from a Twin Turbo V8 BMW X5 M50i, so I am relatively intolerant to engines which feel like they are struggling. Thus, the 3.0L EcoTurbo engine was the best feeling to me of the non-V8 options.

Yes, it's a costly option, yes DEF refills will be needed, yes, diesel is priced higher than gasoline. Small consolation is that the MPG is pretty great with the turbo diesel.

The engine felt so much better than the others that none of those things dissuaded me from buying the turbo diesel engine.

As for long term reliability, I always sell my vehicles before the bumper to bumper warranty runs out, so I'm not too worried about that. And, the engine and 8-speed automatic transmission have a 5 year, 100,000 mile warranty. I think choosing this engine will likely turn out to be ok. Jeep and RAM trucks have been running these Italian-made turbo diesels in various vehicles for 4 or more years now, IIFRC.
Old 01-16-2023, 08:50 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Heartland RV Club
Jayco Owners Club
Here's what I learned... BlueOx headquarters told me that their baseplate would "probably" work with the Rubicon and diesel engine. And, a major retail installer of BlueOx products told me that they could see if a BlueOx baseplate "might work" on this Jeep with diesel engine. Though the BlueOx probably would be compatible, neither of these inquiries inspired full confidence in my plan to run BlueOx tow bars and baseplate with this Wrangler.

That same BlueOx installer told me that the RoadMaster set-up is what they prefer and recommend, and that it is compatible with the Rubicon & diesel engine. Further, a call to Roadmaster headquarters confirmed the same information. Confidence inspiring!

So... I will be going with a Roadmaster tow bar set up! Case closed.
Old 01-16-2023, 09:45 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The issue your installer will need to verify fitment is the Intercooler. It lives down in the area your tow bar brackets install. The intercooler is an aluminum "radiator" that cools the boost air after the turbo, before the intake. Need to be sure the brackets won't touch the intercooler when driving or towing. If it touches, a leak will occur. Causing a loss of boost pressure and low to no power.

I didn't notice any reply to op's question about delete's. Delete is a term describing the removal or deactivation of emission control devices on your Jeep. Of course, these delete's are illegal. Fines run in the $1000's. If you have state emission testing where you live, they may well find the deleted devices and won't pass testing. Also, may be hard to sell a deleted vehicle.

The very best thing you can do for your diesel is drive some distance every couple weeks. The diesel particulate filter needs to regenerate, which requires road driving. 50+ miles of non stop highway driving should do it. Continual short trips will clog the filter resulting in many $$$ troubles.
code2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 10:18 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Heartland RV Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by code2e View Post
The issue your installer will need to verify fitment is the Intercooler. It lives down in the area your tow bar brackets install. The intercooler is an aluminum "radiator" that cools the boost air after the turbo, before the intake. Need to be sure the brackets won't touch the intercooler when driving or towing. If it touches, a leak will occur. Causing a loss of boost pressure and low to no power.

I didn't notice any reply to op's question about delete's. Delete is a term describing the removal or deactivation of emission control devices on your Jeep. Of course, these delete's are illegal. Fines run in the $1000's. If you have state emission testing where you live, they may well find the deleted devices and won't pass testing. Also, may be hard to sell a deleted vehicle.

The very best thing you can do for your diesel is drive some distance every couple weeks. The diesel particulate filter needs to regenerate, which requires road driving. 50+ miles of non stop highway driving should do it. Continual short trips will clog the filter resulting in many $$$ troubles.
Many thanks, code2e!
Old 01-19-2023, 01:43 PM   #13

My neighbor just bought a Jeep Gladiator diesel for his wife and the fuel mileage they’re getting is astounding. Diesels aren’t everyone’s cup of tea but he’s a contractor and already has several diesel trucks and tractors so he’s no stranger to the benefits and quirks of running a diesel. They already put a leveling kit and 37” tires on it and it looks pretty sweet.

OP you’re doing the right thing going with roadmaster instead of blue ox.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 09:04 AM   #14

So besides our neighbor who has a 2022 Diesel Gladiator. Our good friends we camp with have a gas Gladiator that’s otherwise almost identical. We all live in the same area and drive pretty much the same roads.
The gasser is averaging 16-17 mpg.
The diesel was averaging 26 before going from the stock 33” tires to 37”.
Now he says they’re averaging 21-22.

For comparison sake.
People are reporting about 18mpg for the new Bronco with the 2.3 ecoboost.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, engine, jeep, tow