Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2021, 05:31 AM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpj23 View Post
Thanks to a thread on the North American Grand Cherokee Association (NAGC) forum...
https://www.nagca.com/threads/steeri...-towing.72560/

"Once the transfer case is re-engaged and in gear, and the vehicle is turned off, power is still showing on the transmission lights by the shifter for a time. This tells the EPS to not engage steering assist (EPS thinks the transfer case is still in neutral).

If on the "radio" head unit, under key off options, key off power delay and headlights off delay are enabled, add that time to key off (unless you open door to kill the delay time). In addition another 15 to 30 seconds of key off still required before lights on transmission display are off.

By setting the head unit key off options, key off power delay and headlight off power delay, to zero seconds, then 15 to 30 seconds of key off is enough time for the lights on the trans display to go out. At that point restarting the vehicle, EPS power steering works correctly.

So it is a timing issue of how long the Jeep must have no power before EPS steering assist works again.

Multiple restarts do not work to reset the EPS unless the total time off is met first (on one event).

When you re-engage the transfer case into gear, you must turn off the Jeep until the lights by the transfer case go entirely out. At that time the steering will return to normal..."

Tried this and it works every time. Short version recap:
- under Settings, Key Off Options: set both the radio and headlight delay times to zero
- after re-engaging the transfer case, turn the key OFF until the lights next to the shifter go completely dark. This means both the Yellow gear indicator light AND the Light Blue shift position background light.

Voila!
Thank you very much ... very, very helpful :-)
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2021, 09:52 AM   #16

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Same issue!!

We just flat towed our ‘21 Jeep GC Limited foe the first time and had the exact same issue. It has happened twice. Both times we were able to start the car again after about 3 minutes and the power steering came back fine. I also noticed a slight burning smell in the engine immediately after this happened. We did disconnect it one time without the power steering issue.

Are you also experiencing a loud clunk sound when you shift the car out of flat tow transmission? It does it every time we disconnect and shift out of flat tow. I am not sure if this is normal. Please advise if you find anything about the power steering. I plan to call Jeep about both issues.
Centerice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 11:35 AM   #17

On the fence about getting a Trailhawk. Good info, thanks
Winger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 07:38 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerice View Post
We just flat towed our ‘21 Jeep GC Limited foe the first time and had the exact same issue. It has happened twice. Both times we were able to start the car again after about 3 minutes and the power steering came back fine. I also noticed a slight burning smell in the engine immediately after this happened. We did disconnect it one time without the power steering issue.

Are you also experiencing a loud clunk sound when you shift the car out of flat tow transmission? It does it every time we disconnect and shift out of flat tow. I am not sure if this is normal. Please advise if you find anything about the power steering. I plan to call Jeep about both issues.

Have you set the timeout function to zero (see an earlier post to this thread)? Once set to zero your steering should work w/o having to wait.

The 'clunk' is normal - for our unit at least. Transfer case shifts out of neutral and the whole drive line takes the shock. Trade-off between electronic xfer case and the old lever style units on earlier models.
markpj23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 05:32 PM   #19

I just installed a flat tow EPS wire harness kit on our 2021 Jeep grand cherokee. The instructions that came with it are mostly just step by step drawings and some don't seem accurate or at least not enough detail. After install was completed & turned on I can hear a slight buzzing an a high pitch ringing coming from hood area and no power steering assist. Anyone have any ideas? I checked wires from new harness that attach to the only wire splice and the big blue wire is positive and pink and white wire shows no power. I could have them connected backwards but dont know for sure.
Ramon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 08:22 AM   #20

You will NOT have 'normal' steering operation after the harness installation. The system merely provides resistance to prevent the wobble.

I'll defer to others regarding the wiring as I had my dealer do the installation.

Best of luck!
markpj23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 08:51 AM   #21

Thanks that is helpful to know.still gotta find out about the noise
Old 07-27-2021, 04:12 PM   #22

I think I finally got problem solved. For anyone connecting the flat tow wire harness the instructions dont specify which side of the spliced wire the 2 ends of the harness connect to. Apparently the bigger blue wire connects to the fuse box side of the cut wire. That blue wire powers up fuses and the pink white wire connects to other side of cut wire down into wire harness.
Old 07-27-2021, 04:58 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramon B View Post
I think I finally got problem solved. For anyone connecting the flat tow wire harness the instructions dont specify which side of the spliced wire the 2 ends of the harness connect to. Apparently the bigger blue wire connects to the fuse box side of the cut wire. That blue wire powers up fuses and the pink white wire connects to other side of cut wire down into wire harness.

Hi Ramon, seems you should be following this thread regarding the flat tow harness: Jeep GRAND Cherokee death wobble!
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/jeep-grand-cherokee-death-wobble-339594.html
As this thread is regarding the no power steering issue after restoring the transfer case to drive mode.

Oh and by the way, the blue wire feeding 12v to the fuse box on the pink/violet wire is NOT the answer.
If you hear that brake vacuum assist pump cycling on-off, you are in for a world of problems.
Ask me how I know on the other thread and I’ll fill you in.
Old 02-23-2022, 06:09 PM   #24

I just got this from our Jeep dealer :
Ran the part number through Chrysler and yes it states RV Towing wiring harness with a notation form factory : THIS KIT SHOULD NOT BE USED. THERE ARE UNRESOLVED ISSUES WITH THIS KIT.

I also have an email from FCA that started that the harness does not address the wobble.
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 02:24 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
I realize this is an old thread, but does anyone know if this has been resolved?
Old 03-20-2023, 08:18 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNewbie55 View Post
I realize this is an old thread, but does anyone know if this has been resolved?
I never got the harness and have zero issues: 1: go to settings and key off options- there is a power delay setting and I put them to zero.

When it put the transfer case back out of neutral I then turn the car off and wait until the light in near the shifter go out. Then start it back up and the power steering works fine. since my dealer wanted $1500 and nobody with Chrysler CustomerService could explain what the harness actually is good for him a hard pass on that harness. If it’s only to allow the power steering to work without having to wait that 20 seconds of sitting still in the car, I’ll just save my money.
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 02:45 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNewbie55 View Post
It’s not something to resolve. It’s just something to get used to. Once you transfer your Jeep out of tow mode, you have to turn the car off and wait until the computer resets (like about 45 seconds). The multimedia screen will go off. Then you can restart the car and it’ll be fine. I towed my JGC for over 25 trips and as long as we waited the appropriate time, we had no issues with the power steering.
Centerice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 07:42 AM   #28

Thank you!

I just want to thank you for this post. We towed our Jeep from Louisville to Gatlinburg and freaked out a little that it had no power steering once disconnected. Thankfully we found this post and knew to just wait a little and everything was fixed. Now we know and don't have to worry. Thanks again for the post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpj23 View Post
Thanks to a thread on the North American Grand Cherokee Association (NAGC) forum...
https://www.nagca.com/threads/steeri...-towing.72560/

"Once the transfer case is re-engaged and in gear, and the vehicle is turned off, power is still showing on the transmission lights by the shifter for a time. This tells the EPS to not engage steering assist (EPS thinks the transfer case is still in neutral).

If on the "radio" head unit, under key off options, key off power delay and headlights off delay are enabled, add that time to key off (unless you open door to kill the delay time). In addition another 15 to 30 seconds of key off still required before lights on transmission display are off.

By setting the head unit key off options, key off power delay and headlight off power delay, to zero seconds, then 15 to 30 seconds of key off is enough time for the lights on the trans display to go out. At that point restarting the vehicle, EPS power steering works correctly.

So it is a timing issue of how long the Jeep must have no power before EPS steering assist works again.

Multiple restarts do not work to reset the EPS unless the total time off is met first (on one event).

When you re-engage the transfer case into gear, you must turn off the Jeep until the lights by the transfer case go entirely out. At that time the steering will return to normal..."

Tried this and it works every time. Short version recap:
- under Settings, Key Off Options: set both the radio and headlight delay times to zero
- after re-engaging the transfer case, turn the key OFF until the lights next to the shifter go completely dark. This means both the Yellow gear indicator light AND the Light Blue shift position background light.

Voila!
regnarg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cherokee, steering, tow