Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2016, 07:19 AM   #1
mre

3rd Brake Light does not Work

A few weeks ago, I took our toad set up for towing behind the MH. I just realized today, that the toad 3rd brake light (the high light) does not work when towing behind the motorhome. The right and left brake lights work, but the 3rd light does not. All three work when solo driving the toad. Is this normal. I have never really notice it in all the years towing our 5th wheel. The only thing I have noticed over the years is that the 3rd brake light on some vehicles will blink when the turn signal is used (not our case). Is this normal and legal. We were supposed to leave for the summer today but am holding off until I can talk with the dealer.

thanks
ed
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2016, 07:46 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
I noticed the same thing on my toad. It is because the diodes installed for the motorhome wires are installed after the 3rd light, so it does not work when motorhome brake lights are on.. Not a big deal to me, as long as I have toad brake and running lights. Not sure if 3rd light is now legally required. Maybe someone here will have an answer.

Just a quick edit, my 3rd light does not work when just the motorhome brakes, but lights up when my toad aux brake unit in the toad applies the brakes.
rogerdodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:12 AM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I believe the 3rd brake light is controlled by depressing the brake pedal(switch) .
spider13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:27 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wouldn't it depend on how you wired your lights on the tow vehicle? For example on my setup (I used the Roadmaster wiring kit that uses the diodes as opposed to the kits that have separate bulbs) the plug from the rear of the coach goes to the plug on the front of the toad and from there to the right and left lights which are both come on when the headlights are on and then brighter for the brakes and turn signals. I don't know of any kit that includes the third light. Perhaps if you some how used a connection to the wiring harness before the wire splits off to the third light the third light would work.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:31 AM   #5

Wiring for the third light is separate from the brake lights, so it will not normally work when using diodes for the toad setup. We have a pickup toad and to get that third light to work, I had to install 2 separate diodes going to the third light in my pickup cap. Luckily, when the cap was installed the guys set it up with a line and filter so it would work like the one on the rear cab of my cab. I was able to tap into that line. I don't know how to get to that line if the center light is high in the rear above the window. I would not be concerned about it as the only time it's checked in Delaware is for it's run through state inspection every 2 years, and since it's not hooked up to the Bus for inspection, it works as it should.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:36 AM   #6

If you tie the third light in it will blink when the turn signal is activated since the motorhome tow feed uses combination lights (i.e. brake + turn signal in a single bulb).
Old 05-15-2016, 08:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed rzepka View Post
A few weeks ago, I took our toad set up for towing behind the MH. I just realized today, that the toad 3rd brake light (the high light) does not work when towing behind the motorhome. The right and left brake lights work, but the 3rd light does not. All three work when solo driving the toad. Is this normal. I have never really notice it in all the years towing our 5th wheel. The only thing I have noticed over the years is that the 3rd brake light on some vehicles will blink when the turn signal is used (not our case). Is this normal and legal. We were supposed to leave for the summer today but am holding off until I can talk with the dealer.
thanks
ed
ed rzepka
That's "normal" on my '07 Saturn toad.
I don't think "3rd brake lights" are required on vehicles, (or on trailers), while they are being towed.
Mel
'96 Safari, (120,000+ miles towing)
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:31 AM   #8
mre

Hmmm! Seems like the general consensus is to go with it as is and forget about the 3rd brake light.
Old 05-15-2016, 05:37 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Ed, if you want it to work, you can get it wired in, but it usually adds quite a bit more expense to the wiring. It would include more labor, a converter box to keep it from blinking and another diode. Usually, its not worth going through all of that.

I just bought a CRV with the amber turn signals. I could have just wired it so that the brake/running light bulb would be the turn signal, but being an anal twit, I bought a converter and two more diodes so the ambers work as designed.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 07:02 PM   #10
mre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Ed, if you want it to work, you can get it wired in, but it usually adds quite a bit more expense to the wiring. It would include more labor, a converter box to keep it from blinking and another diode. Usually, its not worth going through all of that.

I just bought a CRV with the amber turn signals. I could have just wired it so that the brake/running light bulb would be the turn signal, but being an anal twit, I bought a converter and two more diodes so the ambers work as designed.
I don't have ambers. I would have thought that the since the Duo system activates the brake pedal, that the 3rd brake light would have come on. The 3rd activates when I place my foot on the brake pedal.

ed
Old 05-15-2016, 11:18 PM   #11

Don,
That's not being an "anal twit", it's just wanting folks that are following your CRV when it's being towed, to see the tail lights act and look the exact same when towing it, as it acts when you're DRIVING IT. I did the same exact thing when we had our '11 CRV EX-L for a toad. Below is a wiring diagram I drew up after I did ours. If you get a minute, look at this drawing and see if it's somewhat close to the way you did yours.
Scott

P.S. Yes, the third brake light is a totally different circuit that has absolutely nothing to do with the regular side brake lights. About 99.99% of the third brake lights on toads, are not wired to work, even if the toad is wired so the stock tail lights are the toad lights when being towed. My third brake light worked on the CRV but, I forgot how I wired it so it would work. And, no, it DID NOT BLINK when the turn signals were used.
Scott

Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 03:56 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed rzepka View Post
I don't have ambers. I would have thought that the since the Duo system activates the brake pedal, that the 3rd brake light would have come on. The 3rd activates when I place my foot on the brake pedal.

ed
Ed-

First, I'm no expert, but I agree with "mel s" that it's likely third brake light activation is not legally required for towed vehicles.

Second, with the:

- toad stationary, and
- the key/battery in the same state as when towing, and
- the Duo on

does the third brake illuminate when you pull the breakaway plug?
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 05:13 PM   #13
mre

The 3rd brake light is working. On my Jeep, all three brake lights work after pressing the brake pedal even without the vehicle in “ACC or RUN”. The problem was the SMI Stay-N-Play unit was bad. The compressor motor was running but the unit as not pumping air. Hence, the brake pedal was not being activated. The tech said he would really like to open it up to see what the problem is, but that would put the unit out of warranty.
ed
Old 05-16-2016, 08:35 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Scott.....UPS just delivered the converter, in your diagram, today. I've been busy getting stuff to convert this CRV. Pulled my hitch off the motor home and had a second receiver welded on this morning. The base plates arrived while I was gone, along with the converter and a new battery box that let's me convert the CRV motorcycle sized battery to a group 24. I should be all done by tomorrow.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, light