Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2017, 10:25 AM   #1

4-Down or using a Car Hauler Trailer

We've been using a tow dolly but have decided to tow our car another way. My wife would rather not have her car towed 4-down so the only remaining alternative is putting her car on a trailer. Can anyone with experience putting a car on a trailer behind a Class A Motor Home share their pros and cons?
RScroggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2017, 10:34 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
It's just that you will need that extra space for the trailer when you are camped.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:38 AM   #3

Welcome to iRV2.

The trailer for a car, behind a Class A ,has been discussed many times here in the forums .
From other posts,the biggest draw back is finding a spot to park it when you arrive . Time to load is also an issue.
Even if you have a site long enough for the coach and trailer ( pull through) then where do you park the car once it's unloaded.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:08 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Putting a car on a trailer or dolly with the rain running down my back side does not fit in my definition of fun. Four down for me
Old 09-20-2017, 11:33 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Putting the car on a trailer always made me filthy. My arms end up all greasy. 4 down I only have to wear gloves
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:58 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I prefer 4-down so don't have any advice on the trailer. Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:08 PM   #7

4-down all the way--too old and too rich to bother with a trailer every day [ok--maybe just the too old part].....Life is short--why compromise once you have decided to enjoy the RV life-style.
PS--do an informal survey on your next trip--count how many rigs are pulling 4-down, using a dolly, or pulling a car trailer. In this case, the "herd" must know something.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:22 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Also depends on the car, some can't be towed. The trailer does add more weight to be pulled, more affect on gassers than diesels...
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Seeing the USA - 200 miles at a time
daveandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 02:45 PM   #9

We are going to be flat towing our Suzuki. I have looked at the car trailer option. Primarily so I can put the Zuk on the trailer with ATVs also. Then when we get to location we can use the Zuk to haul the ATVs to go riding. That is the primary reason I would go trailer. If you have a trailer just to save flat towing, you have an additional purchase, maintenance and tags...
Old 09-20-2017, 03:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RScroggi View Post
We've been using a tow dolly but have decided to tow our car another way. My wife would rather not have her car towed 4-down so the only remaining alternative is putting her car on a trailer. Can anyone with experience putting a car on a trailer behind a Class A Motor Home share their pros and cons?

You will have to do something with trailer the other down side is the extra weight of the trailer. If you add trailer and car weight together will it exceed your capacity?
Old 09-20-2017, 06:50 PM   #11

I guess I would have to know your ultimate goal. Why don't you want to use the dolly? Seems like a trailer is more work than a dolly at least to me. A trailer is a lot bigger too.

We have been towing with a dolly. Pretty easy and after a few times, I can get the car loaded and unloaded pretty quickly. Then when we get to the campsite, the dolly stores mostly under the back of the MH.

That being said, we tow an SL2 and decided to go with an SUV type of vehicle. Started to look at the CRV and then found out they are flat towable (up to and including 2014). Long story short, we just bought a CRV that had all the equipment to tow 4 down. Pretty nice deal.

Personally I wouldn't trade a dolly for a full trailer but that is just me. Only way is if you were towing a car AND something else.

Good luck.
funmoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:05 PM   #12

4-Down or using a Car Hauler Trailer

You have a CRV!
They tow 4-down great, if they are 2014 or earlier, I think. What year is yours?
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
You have a CRV!
They tow 4-down great, if they are 2014 or earlier, I think. What year is yours?
We just picked up a 2013. Yes, only 2014 and older are flat towable. I am excited to get everything home and see how it all works.
funmoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:21 PM   #14

If you have an enclosed car trailer, you can also put other things in the trailer as well. Bonus is, no rocks or scratches on the car. I pull an enclosed, but havent put the car in there yet. It will fit, but both my friends bring their cars, so I dont. One tows four down, the other has an enclosed trailer.I take my motorbike, and four wheeler or golf cart depending on where Im going. My car would require a transmission pump to tow four down. I believe some vehicles have maximum towing speeds of around sixty miles per hour, which can be a concern if flat towing. Some cars mirrors dont fold in, which can be an issue to load into an enclosed if the rear doors arent wide enough. My one friend had a seven ft wide enclosed, and he had to remove his mirrors to put the car in. He upgraded to an eight foot so he doesnt have to remove his mirrors. My car mirrors fold in.

Tags
trailer