Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2020, 09:14 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
4 down towing question

Didn't want to steal a thread so I thought I would ask. Towing 4 down does that mean that the transmission fluid in the vehicle should be changed more often? I read this in another thread and quite frankly, never thought about it.

What do you more experienced people say about this.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2020, 09:23 PM   #2

Only if transmission is turning. In many cases that wheels do not turn the transmission output shaft. Like when 4wd is in natural for towing the transfer case should not be turning it’s input shaft let alone anything in transmission. So no wear on transmission.

Tom
Old 09-11-2020, 10:06 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Honda requires it on the CRV, so I guess it depends on the car. I would just check the owners manual for whatever car you are considering buying to verify the requirements.
Old 09-11-2020, 10:30 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I should have included that I tow a Chevy Malibu flat 4.
Old 09-11-2020, 11:00 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post
I should have included that I tow a Chevy Malibu flat 4.

Does your owners manual prescribe more frequent transmission fluid changes when you flat tow?
Old 09-13-2020, 09:38 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Not sure about the Malibu but Honda recommends changing the tranny fluid every 30K miles!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 04:16 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Generally not, but frequent towing is usually considered heavy duty use and puts you in that category for vehicle maintenance. Most owners don't 4-down tow enough hours/miles per year to worry about it, though.

My suggestion is to look at the tranny dipstick more often if you 4-down tow very much. At any sign or discoloration or odor in the fluid, change it. If clean and bright, forget about it.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 05:34 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Generally not, but frequent towing is usually considered heavy duty use and puts you in that category for vehicle maintenance. Most owners don't 4-down tow enough hours/miles per year to worry about it, though.

My suggestion is to look at the tranny dipstick more often if you 4-down tow very much. At any sign or discoloration or odor in the fluid, change it. If clean and bright, forget about it.
Gary, I think I will take your advice and keep an eye on it for sure. We are always on the go so we certainly put the "miles" on the car.

Thanks to everyone for the responses.
Old 09-14-2020, 06:50 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Heat is the enemy that kills the transmission while towing, and one of the easiest heat symptoms to detect is discolored tranny fluid and and a "burnt toast" smell to it. If either is detected, change the fluid immediately and investigate what can be done to make towing cooler.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 07:02 PM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
No tranny dipstick on our toad.

Never read anything about it in the manual, but I did have the fluid changed at about 35,000 mi.
Old 09-17-2020, 03:15 PM   #11

Honda CRV 2002 Auto FWD

This thread got me going on the topic...had the trans fluid changed last year. Average about 7,500 mi annually in tow and 4,000 driven around town. Took me awhile to find the dipstick, it is behind the battery (yellow ring) and down low. Nice and pink and clean which one would expect since it was serviced last year. Will keep an eye on it now, never paid much attention before.

As an aside, I'm careful to check the oil in my Ford E450 a couple of times each trip on longer trips. I was changing it twice annually (spring and Fall) and am going to drop the Fall change as it looks clear and doesn't burn any oil. It's such a hassle to get it changed down in Florida, spend 5 hours at Greenway Ford one year getting it changed. Sometimes I luck out and find good service like in Fairhope area last year found a great place that I could drive into and they did it on the spot for $50. (Express Oil in Daphne ...highly recommended. They have a door that accommodated my Class C MH). They also changed out my air filter for only $20. (parts and labor). (It was dirty!)
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing, towing question