RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-15-2019, 10:09 AM   #29

What year did Toyota start putting AAD on the 4runner?
I'm not sure my 98 does that.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2019, 10:46 AM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
4 Runner or Sequoia as toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbird69 View Post
Excellent info. Thanks for posting. I've also never heard about the ADD issue before and is good to know. But even if the ADD has engaged the passenger axle, both front wheels would be free to turn independent of each just as they are when driving down the road in 4wd because the front diff is considered "open"? Also, with the transfer case in Neutral, the front and back axles are not connected so there is no way they should be binding on corners or anytime?

Snowbird69,

Yes, the front two tires are not “locked” together because of the open front differential. But, because of the way the transfer case works, the t-case is indeed in 4 wheel lock even in the neutral position.

When you pull the t-case gear selector back to 4Hi, it slides the rear shaft into position and locks the front and rear output shafts together via the chain drive. They stay locked from that point on thru the neutral setting and into the 4Lo setting.

With the t-case in neutral you are in 4 wheel drive and the front and rear driveshafts are locked together. If you want to know how the 4Runner reacts while locked and towing, just put it in 4Hi and make a couple of sharp turns on asphalt. Most towing is pretty much driving straight, and guys are towing that way just fine, but I didn’t want the unnecessary stress on the drive train. That’s why I simply turn the key fully off before changing the t-case to neutral.

Next month I am adding an inline switch to the wire that activates the A.D.D. That will eliminate that step, and also allow me to have a 2 wheel drive low setting, which can be useful from time to time.

You can verify that the front axle is locked to the rear while the t-case is in neutral by simply jacking up the front passenger tire, setting the parking brake, then put the transmission in neutral, and the t-case stays in 2Hi. Crawl under car, grab the front driveshaft, and it will spin freely. Then jump up and put the t-case in neutral, crawl back under, and now try to spin the front driveshaft shaft. It won’t rotate as it is now locked with the back wheels and they are both on the ground.

If you want to verify that the A.D.D. is locked while the t-case is in neutral, block the front driver tire and 1 of the rear tires to keep the car from rolling. Jack up the front passenger tire, and either of the rear tires. Now with the transmission in neutral, t-case in 2Hi, and the key fully off, select neutral on the t-case and spin the front driveshaft. It will rotate, along with the rear driveshaft and one rear wheel, but the front passenger wheel will not rotate. Now jump up and turn the ignition key to the on position, but do not start the engine. The 4 wheel drive light will come on, and now when you rotate the front driveshaft, the passenger tire will rotate because the A.D.D. has locked the passenger axle to the differential.

Sorry for the long explanations but some guys really like to know how it all works!

Regards,

PS This information is my opinion only and may be worth even less than you paid for it. Use it at your own risk!

tqqest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 11:06 AM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
4 Runner or Sequoia as toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
What year did Toyota start putting AAD on the 4runner?

I'm not sure my 98 does that.

Hayduke,

I am not sure when they added it. I have never owned a Toyota until my current 4Runner. It used to be a vacuum activated system with the vacuum lines and actuator mounted on the front passenger fender under the hood. Later they changed it to the current electric system. It is not used on any models that have manual locking front hubs, or on the Limited models with the full-time 4 wheel drive t-case.

You can read about it at the link below, they show it on the driver side but Toyota has it on the passenger side wheel.

http://www.off-road.com/trucks-4x4/t...tem-19259.html
Old 12-15-2019, 06:28 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqqest View Post
Hayduke,

I am not sure when they added it. I have never owned a Toyota until my current 4Runner. It used to be a vacuum activated system with the vacuum lines and actuator mounted on the front passenger fender under the hood. Later they changed it to the current electric system. It is not used on any models that have manual locking front hubs, or on the Limited models with the full-time 4 wheel drive t-case.

You can read about it at the link below, they show it on the driver side but Toyota has it on the passenger side wheel.

The Automatic Disconnecting Differential system: Off-Road.com
Interesting...

You pointed me to a deep rabbit hole.

I think my '98 DOES have an ADD system. I will try your sequence.

Thanks
Old 12-15-2019, 07:34 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Interesting...

You pointed me to a deep rabbit hole.

I think my '98 DOES have an ADD system. I will try your sequence.

Thanks
Sorry about the rabbit hole! I've been down quite a few of those myself in my switch from my jeep JKU Rubicon to my 4Runner.

I really don't think it's that big of a deal if the ADD is engaged. I am sure that most guys towing a Toyota do not even know about the possible issue. My daughter in law drove my Ram truck for 2 weeks without realizing she had put it in 4Hi!

I can't even say for sure if my Jeep was the same way or not, I never really looked at it closely when towing in a tight turn as it never came up as a possible issue. I do know that I towed my Jeep over 35,000 miles without any problems.

Good luck and hope all goes well!
Old 12-16-2019, 09:32 AM   #34

Never owned a Jeep. Had old VWs and Toyotas all my life.
I'm very pleased to learn I can tow my trusted 4runner.

At least until we finish getting the 68 VW Campmobile ready to tow.
Old 12-23-2019, 11:46 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqqest View Post
Further research showed that because the A.D.D. is electrically activated, it does not engage with the key in the off position. That is why I always turn the key fully off before shifting the transfer case. It is extremely rare for me to have any problem getting the transfer case into neutral with the engine stopped and the trans in park. If for some reason I do have trouble, I just start the engine, run the tranny thru forward and reverse, back to park, and shut it off again. Then put the t-case into neutral.

Regards!
Thank you so much for this info.

RE: A.D.D. .. is this the reason many places online talk about towing Toyota with driveshaft disconnect and 2H instead of Neutral on the manual transfer case?
BoulderCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 05:50 AM   #36

From an an older post - May Help some,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwhitty View Post
Been a while since I have posted. I have two landcruisers set up to flat tow. A 1994 80 series, and a 2001 100 series. Both have manual transfer cases. If you can manually put the transfer case in neutral, I agree with others, you should be good to go. The transfer case is after the transmission in the drive train, and disconnects everything forward from the transfer case. The other nice thing about the Toyotas, is that the steering wheel will remain unlocked in the "off, or locked position" provided you do not remove the key. No need to keep the battery turned on in the accessory position.

Transfer case in Neutral
Transmission in Park
parking brake off
Unlock steering wheel, then return the key to the off position, LEAVE THE KEY IN THE IGNITION. CONFIRM THAT THE STEERING WHEEL IS STILL UNLCOCKED.

Just to make sure that the transfer case is being properly lubed, I will also every few hundred miles start the engine to spin the transfer case from the transmission input shaft side.

Hope this helps.

John.
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 09:08 PM   #37

I'm successfully flat towing a 99 runner with manual tranny in neutral and manual transfer case in 2H, ignition switch on for unlocked steering.
Now I need help from any you who are also towing these. I've been unsuccessful finding a wiring harness to modify the stock wiring for towing as a dinghy and don't want to use magnetic add ons any more. I realize I've changed the theme of the thread but wanted to reach the audience represented here.
Old 12-29-2019, 06:16 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwrench View Post
I'm successfully flat towing a 99 runner with manual tranny in neutral and manual transfer case in 2H, ignition switch on for unlocked steering.
Now I need help from any you who are also towing these. I've been unsuccessful finding a wiring harness to modify the stock wiring for towing as a dinghy and don't want to use magnetic add ons any more. I realize I've changed the theme of the thread but wanted to reach the audience represented here.
This video makes it simple, while not a 4runner it's the same method;

Wire from amazon - https://www.amazon.com/ONLINE-LED-ST...625474&sr=8-15

Sockets - https://www.amazon.com/TOMALL-BAY15D...5&sr=8-2-fkmr0

Lights - https://www.amazon.com/Philips-1157L...XKQEM3TNX5Y41N

Hope this helps,
Old 01-01-2020, 05:20 PM   #39

Thanks Busskipper. Presents an approach I had not thought of that I'll give some consideration to.
Old 01-02-2020, 10:02 AM   #40

why the extra lights/bulbs?

My understanding of the wiring kits was I tapped into the existing wiring and lit up the existing indicators.

I also thought you needed diodes to make sure the signal only goes one way.
Old 01-02-2020, 10:16 AM   #41

Quote:
why the extra lights/bulbs?

My understanding of the wiring kits was I tapped into the existing wiring and lit up the existing indicators.

I also thought you needed diodes to make sure the signal only goes one way.
You are Correct - BUT - diodes fail - so the Easier/Easiest solution - is to just add the lightbulbs - run a seperate wire - no mistakes - no back feeding and a possible mistake and thus nothing hidden burned up that might cost you Real $$ to repair.

Many of us over the years just use the KISS method.

Just mailed my brother My 25 year old Diodes from many Toads ago, didn't use them then, and not going to now.

If you need them here they are - https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-48955...985280&sr=8-18

JMHO,
Old 06-30-2020, 01:39 AM   #42

Any updates on experience towing 4runner? Been hiking a few trails recently and unable to take the CRV... really wish we had a 4runner.

BoulderCity is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad