Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2021, 02:38 AM   #43

What makes you think your Sienna weighs 5995? Have you weighed it on a scale?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2021, 12:23 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
What makes you think your Sienna weighs 5995? Have you weighed it on a scale?
He was using the GVWR number. He has since been corrected and realized his error.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 04:50 PM   #45

Ford Super Duty Owner
My Ventana LE has a 5,000-pound towing limit but I have the same part number hitch that's on the Ventana and Dutch Star that has 10,000 towing capacity. So the hitch is not the limiting factor in my case.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 07:02 PM   #46

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If in doubt, rent a car one way. Sort it out later. Why risk it for a few $$? If you need to pull more weight long term, as CWSWine touched upon, you need to make sure your coach can properly pull more weight. The hitch is only one factor.
Ohio44718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 03:07 PM   #47

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Your hitch should be rated to tow 10k.

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrW...5YLy9dMInWETQ-
Old 09-05-2021, 03:13 PM   #48

National RV Owners Club
Couple things to remember, curb weight is base vehicle so any upgrades/options are added to the curb weight.

2 the towing capacity of the coach is not just the hitch capability.

I have driven the grapevine many times. It is steep and lots of curves. The is a runaway ramp on both sides.

2006 Dolphin 5355
Tahiti16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 03:14 PM   #49

Exclamation Towing 6k with a 5K hitch is bad idea

Just some thoughts on the subject. The real serious issue is not with the hitch or the vehicle. If you are in an accident your insurance may not pay for the damage to the RV or the tow vehicle due to violation of the tow capacity. Same deal if your RV is over weight and you are in an accident your insurance carrier could deny the claim because you were over your weight max. Usually the hitch rating of 5K is due to the class 4 hitch and not the capability of the RV. If you have a Class 5 hitch you would most likely have a 10K towing capacity. If you plan on towing the Toyota as a dingy tow, you are going to have the same issue if you have a class 4 hitch. It is still going to be over weight even if all the wheels are on the ground.

One more thing....do you have the proper license to drive the RV in your state? Some RVs like mine, (40ft and over 26,000 lbs) require a Class B license in Texas. California says this.... Check this out...

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/driver...icense-ffdl-5/

Just my thoughts for the day. What does your state say?
Doyle94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 03:16 PM   #50

Tiffin Owners Club
Dont do it. You won't be happy when your rig breaks, the dolly and toad smash into a couple $200,000 Southern California cars coming down the Grapevine, and your insurance is no good.
Larrikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 03:20 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evugrandtour View Post
Hi everyone. Thank you for taking the time.

We plan to buy a 2005 Gulf Stream Atrium (Cat C7 350). The RV has a towing capacity and hitch of 5000 pounds. We plan to use Our 2011 Toyota Sienna as tow vehicle (5995lbs) on a tow dolly. I know the weight is over the towing capacity but we need to use it only one time to go buy it and then bring it back home and then upgrade the hitch on the RV.

The trip will be about seven hours cause and the hardest part is going through the Grapevine, CA which has some steep long grade.

Will the RV be able to make the trip? What are the potential issues with towing over the weight limit like this? Will the engine and transmission be harmed?

Thank you.
Are you sure? According to the attached PDF you have 10K towing capacity. I would expect you have at least a 7,00 pound hitch. How ever do not exceed the hitch and tongue weight limits. Let us know what you decide. Going up Grapevine stay in 2 lane. If you loose momentum just stay behind the 18 wheeler.
https://cdn.fccchq.com/specsheets/5b...ach-Atrium.pdf
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 03:27 PM   #52

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw20td06 View Post
Short answer is don't do it. Why take the risk of damaging your new to you RV and endangering others? The 5 freeway and or 14 freeway are significant grades to be using a unknown MH and pulling a overweight or near capacity load. I don't understand why your wife and kids don't come with you and have your wife drive home the van with the kids? Make it a family trip.

Just like the other poster said, sounds like you are going to do it anyway, but if something were to happen to you or others could you live with yourself if it did?
I agree not worth the risk for sure. Though what has me concerned about the OP is he stated the RV and the Hitch has a tow capacity of 5,000 lbs. Why would you be looking to upgrade the hitch? Upgrading the hitch doesn't increase the towing capabilities of the RV. Holy mackerel the time I typed this out and posted it this went from page 1 post to page 4...of course now there was some good post questioning the 5K towing capacity of the coach.
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 03:39 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post

FWIW, can posters please stop recommending exceeding ratings? Let's help keep every mother's daughter as safe as can be
Sorry to call you out, but YOU made this statement...

Your statement is just another case of someone trying to control a debate, because others may disagree or have a difference of opinion from yours.

Your are free to express your opinion, and others have the same privilege..

State your opinion and make your case for it... Then let others do the same.

Debate other opinions if you feel it necessary, but to make an emotional plea for others to conform to your opinion is just childish...

I am amazed by the current trend, that if someone doesn't "tow the company line", they should just keep their opinions to themselves, or be silenced.. Debate is good.... Dialog is healthy....

Even the wise are often mistaken in their "accepted" beliefs... Lest we forget that at one time the "smartest and brightest" thought the world was flat...!

Give the OP any info you (meaning all of us) believe is pertinent to his question(s). He then gets to evaluate the info. He can accept, reject, or verify the info he receives, and then make his decision.

The OP is the only one responsible for the choices he makes.... so let him hear both sides to any debate. Then he can make his choice from all available information/opinions/experiences and not just from a controlled narrative ..

Rant over...
Old 09-05-2021, 03:46 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by hattitude View Post
Sorry to call you out, but YOU made this statement...

Your statement is just another case of someone trying to control a debate, because others may disagree or have a difference of opinion from yours.

Your are free to express your opinion, and others have the same privilege..

State your opinion and make your case for it... Then let others do the same.

Debate other opinions if you feel it necessary, but to make an emotional plea for others to conform to your opinion is just childish...

I am amazed by the current trend, that if someone doesn't "tow the company line", they should just keep their opinions to themselves, or be silenced.. Debate is good.... Dialog is healthy....

Even the wise are often mistaken in their "accepted" beliefs... Lest we forget that at one time the "smartest and brightest" thought the world was flat...!

Give the OP any info you (meaning all of us) believe is pertinent to his question(s). He then gets to evaluate the info. He can accept, reject, or verify the info he receives, and then make his decision.

The OP is the only one responsible for the choices he makes.... so let him hear both sides to any debate. Then he can make his choice from all available information/opinions/experiences and not just from a controlled narrative ..

Rant over...
Thank you for bringing my comment forward.
Old 09-05-2021, 03:47 PM   #55

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Radio lawyer stated yesterday: "Driver not insured, the VEHICLE IS INSURED" so make sure you call Insurance Agent w/ VIN before driving. If you borrow another's vehicle, I always (thought) I was insured... NOT so, lawyer says... so if owner has no insurance= no insurance? Which explains car saleman wanting to talk w/ MY agent before the TEST DRIVE?
Old 09-05-2021, 03:54 PM   #56

I vote for the greyhound bus or rent a car solution. When I bought a hard to find travel trailer several years ago, I flew to one city where there was a truck I wanted. Then I drove the truck to another state where the trailer was located and towed it all back home, all by myself and had a blast.

Tags
hitch, tow, towing