Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2020, 07:51 PM   #1

6 inch lift receiver question

My F250 Measures at 24 inches to the center of the base plate mounting brackets. The Motorhome hitch measured between 17-19 depending on how it was sitting on the "level".

I bought a 10K pound rated Roadmaster Riser with a 400 pound hitch rating.

Is there anything special I should know? 6 inches seems like a lot but I assume everything is build for the extra torque and people must do it all the time based on the risers that are available for purchase.

The rest of my setup is Blue Ox Avail tow bar and base plate, Patriot 3 Brakes, Brake buddy battery charger, Roadmaster tail light kit.

Thanks!
Keith55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2020, 08:58 PM   #2

I run a 5” riser on my DS to bring the hitch up even with my GMC Canyon. No issues. I do use two of the hitch clamps to tighten and reduce rattle. One on the riser and one in the Avail.
Granite17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 07:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granite17 View Post
I run a 5” riser on my DS to bring the hitch up even with my GMC Canyon. No issues. I do use two of the hitch clamps to tighten and reduce rattle. One on the riser and one in the Avail.
Thank you - I ordered two hitch clamps based on your recommendation. Seems like thousands of miles of rattling would not do the hitch parts any favors.
Keith55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 07:40 AM   #4
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
I only use a 2" riser on the setup for my 2020 GMC Denali but I also use two anti-rattle clamps, one on the main hitch and one on the riser. Never had to use a riser on my RAM but the GMC is 2" higher. Your 6" riser is built for the stress applied when towing.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 04:36 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Keith, on two previous coaches, I added a second receiver. On my Diplomat, I had a second receiver (8" receiver piece available at Harbor Freight) welded to the underside of the hitch. My brother in law had the opposite issue. He had a second receiver added to the top of the hitch (if there is room). We had a local hitch shop do the welding. He plated both sides.

By adding the receiver, if you have room, you eliminate the extra insert and anti rattle pieces. The second receiver will raise the hitch 4".

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160516_171145.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	294395
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 03:31 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
During my Spartan 1 yr service I had them weld a lower hitch just like Don did (I stole the idea from a previous post of his). Total cost including the hitch, welding (by pros who work on Fire Apparatus) and paint was about $250.

Getting rid of that hitch drop also got me under 65’ (just barely).

I had the dual anti-rattle devices and that kept things fine for 4K miles until I had the new hitch welded on.

- Richard
RandDescape is offline   Reply With Quote