Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2012, 08:22 AM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
Yea...I got it. I'm having a real tough time considering giving up the 'vette (age 60; and if it aint a 'Vette, it aint a sports car). And the open trailer is $2K or more cheaper.

I sense the pride, thus my, and others comments about preserving that look from the wet road grime. And I'd trade you my 2011, for that beauty, in a moment.

That said, reading other threads the increased planning for fueling and camping is a concern, in addition to the threat of damage.

Have a great trip in Feb
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2012, 08:41 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60Vette View Post
Hi Folks:
Just picked up an AL trailer to haul my car. It's an Aluma tilt bed model 8216, (82 inches wide by 16' long) LED lighting, AL wheels and spare and killer factory optional gravel shield made from double walled ramp material.
Drove the '60 up on it just for fit purposes, it's not tied down.

This will keep the diesel oil and stones off my car.

60Vette

Very nice rig and car. I have a 16 foot Aluma on order. About like yours, stone guard and all. 15 inch wheels, spare tire and surge brakes. I do have the bifold ramps, as I was not aware I could get the tilt option on my 8216. How does is load and break over. I could change mine as it has a November first build date. It looks simpler then messing with the bifold ramps.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:03 AM   #17

Quote:

DSL417: The RV is 36' and the trailer is 20'. I have noticed that I need to plan in advance where I pull off the highway for chow or fuel or anything.
Heading to the Keys for a month in February. Should be a wild trip.
Try 75'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stacker3.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	209.7 KB
ID:	28376  
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:28 AM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullheaded View Post
Try 75'
Never questioned by the man with a badge and a tape measure???
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:29 AM   #19
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Now that's a stacker!

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:37 PM   #20

Quote:
Hi Folks:
Just picked up an AL trailer to haul my car. It's an Aluma tilt bed model 8216, (82 inches wide by 16' long) LED lighting, AL wheels and spare and killer factory optional gravel shield made from double walled ramp material.
Drove the '60 up on it just for fit purposes, it's not tied down.

This will keep the diesel oil and stones off my car.

60Vette
Looks great and that is a really nice trailer. I took a good long look at that exact trailer and was thoroughly impressed. If bringing the Vette was more of an option for me I would likely have bought it.

Nothing wrong with an open trailer and the folks that think they need an enclosed trailer would likely leave it in the garage most of the time anyway.

These cars are meant to be driven and as a result they may get a little dirty.
bmacrc46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:07 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Her is my 60:

Bought it in pieces in 83, finished the "restoration" in 86 and it is a driver. I can only tow 4000# so a trailer is not an option for me.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:04 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
Just looking at the trailering option (as opposed to Toad) for my Corvette. Think with that beauty, I'd have to pay the $4K extra for the covered version.

That said, been reading threads that suggest if you're over 65 feet, increasingly, you're in trouble with the law who seem to have been to Home Depot to get tape measures...hmmm, 43 feet plus 20 foot trailer (open or closed), and 4 foot trailer tongue...sounds a little more expensive than the cost of the trailer, long term. Shame as I really hate to give up the 'vette.
JMO - before giving a vette up, you might try towing it and see whether you get cited for that bit of overlength. I've heard some people have towed overlength for years and never been ticketed, or even warned!

Kathryn

``

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:23 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
Very nice rig and car. I have a 16 foot Aluma on order. About like yours, stone guard and all. 15 inch wheels, spare tire and surge brakes. I do have the bifold ramps, as I was not aware I could get the tilt option on my 8216. How does is load and break over. I could change mine as it has a November first build date. It looks simpler then messing with the bifold ramps.
Hi KS:
Oh man, the tilt is simple. Unlatch 2 latches up front, open the valve, stand on the back of the deck and it slowly lowers. Jump off shut off the valve drive up the deck, get out of the car and open the valve and it slowly lowers into place. Total time - 60 seconds. Works great.

Bullheaded:
Now that's traveling in style. Do you leave anything at home? Fabulous rig, what a head turner.

UFO:
Great looking car. Life is too short to leave it home. You'll draw a crowd wherever you go which pisses off the guy you parked next to with the $120,000 ZR-1. With that said, my buddy gets 25-30 MPG in his 2008 Corvette. What a fine cruising machine.

bmacrc46:
Great point: I suspect people who put their cars in enclosed trailers drive them less than frequently. Nothing wrong with that but the fun is driving it in my estimation. I didn't buy it to show it (although I have) or as an investment (but it beats buying a late model) and I live on a dirt road...
Hard to picture a trailer queen sitting alone at the Stop and Shop parking lot while you run in to pick up milk and bread.
60Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:50 AM   #24

The trailer tilted

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
Hi KSCRUDE:

Thought you'd like to see it tilted. I didn't need to remove the fenders to open the door but I did. The top looks wrinkled because it isn't latched.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:42 AM   #25

That looks like the way to go. Thanks for the photo and reply. I will call my Aluma dealer today and make a change.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:11 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
Never questioned by the man with a badge and a tape measure???
Not as of today....have pulled it about 2500 miles so far....we are in Northern Michigan now and heading back to Texas then Florida for the winter months. I really like it as a garage for our toys when we make extended stays and the ability to back is nice for a change.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:18 AM   #27

Quote:

Bullheaded:
Now that's traveling in style. Do you leave anything at home? Fabulous rig, what a head turner.
Sure wish mine was all aluminum....nice set up. Yeah...got too many toys and have to leave a few behind. Would like to take this one day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lambo1.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	361.0 KB
ID:	28454  
Old 10-31-2012, 05:03 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullheaded View Post
Sure wish mine was all aluminum....nice set up. Yeah...got too many toys and have to leave a few behind. Would like to take this one day.
Gorgeous car. Tough to leave that in a parking lot while you run in to pick up your prescription.

I'm thinking it's about 30 inches high at the roof. You could drive under my '60.