Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-30-2022, 05:05 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrand22 View Post
We can't afford to buy and don't own a car that can be flat towed so we're going the tow dolly route. I know - I know, we'll be sorry, we'll change our minds at some point, flat towing is the best, etc. etc. lol - I've heard it and I've read it....a lot - I know it's true, for the most part - we just can't afford it right now.

Our tow vehicle will be a 2014 Nissan Altima and we'll be pulling it with a 2017 Newmar Canyon Star (gasser). We hope/plan to do a number of trips from OH to the western states (MT, WY, CO, ID, UT and AZ) which means plenty of mountains.

Disc brakes and a dolly that isn't 'fixed' are important to me which seems to narrow the list of brands to Demco. Does anyone have experience with other brands that have these two features?

My primary concern with Demco is where to put it when at CG's? Question for anyone that uses a Demco that DOESN'T HAVE the folding tongue...Is any portion of the dolly tongue able to fit under your RV and if so can you tell me about it? I really don't want to spend the extra $'s for the folding tongue.

Thanks in advance for any input.
I use a Landgrebe tow dolly (towtrailer.com). Although itís a little known brand itís very similar to the Demco KarKaddy. It has the caster steer and fixed ramps. No folding tongue or ramps. I reserve 65í pull through spots, never had an issue. I have backed it up on a few occasions (50í or so).
I like knowing that the only things turning on my tow vehicle are the rear tires and wheel bearings.
speedway is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2022, 05:25 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We started out with an "Acmetowdolly" with little bitty wheels and loading ramps you have to undo and hook up. Not fun in the rain. Plus, I got tired of seeing the dolly's skid marks in gas stations that required a tight turn.
We found a "Master tow dolly" on Craig's list for $300.00 and put new tires on it. Balanced of course. With a swiveling deck and integral loading ramps, we could not be happier. Does not have brakes, but 4 trips to Florida and back without incident tells me it is a good unit.

JMHO
Mike in Colorado
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	702.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	289.8 KB
ID:	369793  
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 09:32 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Iíd suggest checking the ground clearance of the Altima against that Demco. The Demco (and really all of the swivel dollies) are fairly large and need a lot of clearance for the fixed ramps and overall height. I think youíll find the Altima wonít fit. I have a 2015 Altima and 2021 Sentra. The Altima does well on the EZE tow dolly and the Sentra just barely fits from a ground clearance perspective. I measured a used dolly with the swivel against the Sentra and thereís no way it would have fit, if nothing else from the fixed ramps. You shouldnít need the swivel base if the 2014 has a push button start. Most of the newer cars donít have locking wheels, so itís not an issue.
Scepter40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 11:37 PM   #32

American Car Dolly makes a great, solid unit built in Colorado. I put 15K miles on it with no issues. You can call and speak with the owner Gary to answer any questions you have.
Wacdmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 11:59 AM   #33

Thanks to all who responded. I had wanted to buy a used kar kaddy ss off some nice folks who reached out to me in this thread but unfortunately my Nissan Altima wouldn’t fit on it. I went and saw a master tow and best I can tell my car won’t fit on it either. So I’ve decided to order a demco kar kaddy x which my car will supposedly fit onto. Demco does a great job with instructions on how to measure your car - none of the other brands I considered do that. Hopefully it all works out.
Old 09-24-2022, 01:13 PM   #34

We recently returned from an approximate 4,500 mile round trip to the Tetons, Yellowstone and Glacier (both sides) and I wanted to 'report out' on the Kar Kaddy X.

First off, one of my big concerns was whether or not the Altima would load and unload with no scraping or other issues. It worked remarkably well. There were a time or two that we had to unload when the dolly wasn't completely straight and we had no problem. Kuddo's to the folks at Demco created and provided the measurements to use in determining if the car would fit. Not sure why other manufacturers don't provide the measurement...it was one of the primary reasons we went with Demco.

The design of the dolly all the way down to the ratchets (for tightening the straps) is top notch and everything functioned reasonably well with the exception of the strap to hold the steering wheel of my car in place. The steering wheel strap kept coming loose no matter how I attached it. I called Demco and found out that they've since redesigned the strap. They immediately shipped me a new strap which worked a lot better not once coming loose.

The one thing I want to mention is that my car moved off center a bit when being towed, even with the new strap. I ratcheted the wheel straps down so tight I worried that I'd pop the tires or something but it still moved off center. I was going to move the car back to somewhat 'exact' center but would have been moving it like an inch and a half. I figured that it would probably just move again and the car was towing well, the dolly was tracking well, so I didn't adjust the car.

Like many people say, it's easy to forget that the car is back there but I still watched my rear camera and monitored my tire pressures thanks to my Tireminder TPMS.

The delivery was interesting...I didn't know what to expect and it appears the trucking company didn't either. Watching the guy try to get what was essentially two pallets long off of a truck using a pallet jack meant for a single pallet was a bit scary while be funny.

The assembly took longer than I expected but was manageable.

Those are the main points. If anyone has any specific questions feel free to PM me.

Thanks.
Old 10-28-2022, 12:44 AM   #35

A good friend of mines gave me a good use Kar Kaddy SS and it work find we took it on our first trip about a month ago the last pics there where and guys that pull up next to me he had the same tow dolly.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN4473.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	238.0 KB
ID:	379729   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4474.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	241.9 KB
ID:	379730  

Name:	DSCN4528.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	231.2 KB
ID:	379731   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4530.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	231.3 KB
ID:	379732  

KingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 11:05 PM   #36

i have to ask just why did demco say your altima wouldn't fit??i have had a 1970 olds toroando gt on mine.
catmandoo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 06:31 PM   #37

Demco didn’t say that it wouldn’t fit. They provide a chart with places on your car to measure that helps determine whether or not your car should or should not fit. With the older model ‘SS’ my cars measurements indicated that it wouldn’t fit. With the newer model ‘X’ the measurements indicated that my car would fit and it did although there wasn’t a lot of extra clearance. Note that the clearance ratios between the older SS and newer X weren’t the same. Hope this answers your question and helps others.

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly