Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2019, 07:37 AM   #29

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus bum View Post
I wonder if the odometer continues to log miles when neg battery cable is off while flat towing a 2018 Ford Edge. Strangely, two different service mgrs at two Ford dealers today gave me conflicting answers. One says yes, one says no. Anyone with real world experience wish to give the real world answer? The service mgr who said the miles would continue to log said that because he assumed Ford Inc. would not allow those miles to NOT count towards the 36/36 warranty. Thanks, Michael
I've towed my 2018 Edge SEL - no additional mileage shows on mine.
I've had three different toads so far and none have racked up miles while being towed.

Chris
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2019, 09:12 AM   #30

I also tow a 2018 Edge SEL. Mileage does not register when towed.
Carlos Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 08:04 AM   #31

Thanks guys, Good news for my warranty remaining. I guess the few of us who flat tow is not enough for Ford to worry about. We are the flea biting the elephant. Michael
cactus bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 04:43 PM   #32

Question Got base plate installed on 2018 ford edge

I got the base plate installed for my 2018 Edge today. The forks they gave me with it almost fit the tongue on my Demco Aluminator, but the tongue on the Demco is just a gnats bottom too wide to go into the fork. I will call Blue Ox tomorrow and ask them, but I am wondering if any of you have shaved the thickness of the tongue down a bit on a grinder? It is literally about the thickness of a coat of paint. The tongue starts into the fork, but after 1/4" tongue is stopped due to thickness. It also seems like the tongue is just about 1/8" too long and will need to shave off the end that much. My question is, of course, will this have any bearing on the effectiveness or safety of the tow? I know to not overheat metal on a grinder, which can weaken the temper and cause failure. Thanks, Michael
Old 03-01-2019, 04:31 PM   #33

Answering my own question

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus bum View Post
I got the base plate installed for my 2018 Edge today. The forks they gave me with it almost fit the tongue on my Demco Aluminator, but the tongue on the Demco is just a gnats bottom too wide to go into the fork. I will call Blue Ox tomorrow and ask them, but I am wondering if any of you have shaved the thickness of the tongue down a bit on a grinder? It is literally about the thickness of a coat of paint. The tongue starts into the fork, but after 1/4" tongue is stopped due to thickness. It also seems like the tongue is just about 1/8" too long and will need to shave off the end that much. My question is, of course, will this have any bearing on the effectiveness or safety of the tow? I know to not overheat metal on a grinder, which can weaken the temper and cause failure. Thanks, Michael
Even though I have a 2018 Ford Edge, the following would apply to any toad.

Today I spoke to both Blue Ox and Demco about my problem. The man at Blue Ox offered to sell me new and wider forks, they call them tabs, that would insert into the Blue Ox base plate and would correctly fit the too thick Demco tongue( Demco calls the tongue a "connecting clevis"). I called Demco and they offered to sell me two new and thinner tongues that would fit into the Blue Ox tabs that insert into the base plate. After we talked for a bit Demco did say shaving a whisker off the sides of the Demco tongue would be ok. He remembered the old days when that was the go-to solution, instead of selling a completely new part.
I did shave a little off the sides of the Demco connecting clevis' (tongues) and they fit nicely into the slots of the tabs (forks). I also took a little off the ends of both tongues on the toad end so they are now able to swivel up and down in the tabs.
Apologies for not posting this on a more appropriate thread.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:12 PM   #34

Tiffin Owners Club
I purchased a 2010 Tiffin that has a Roadmaster Falcon 2 tow bar. It also came with the cross member and attachment points. I did not receive any parts that go with the car other than the Brakemaster actuation cylinder.

Here is a summary of what i purchased to complete the towing parts for the car:

2016 Ford Edge Sport, has grill shutters but no adaptive cruise.

Roadmaster base plate 524444-4. Found a new one on eBay for $339.

Brakemaster 2nd car kit with breakaway 98160. Found it new on eBay for $296.

Hopkins tail light wiring kit 56011. Found it at eTrailer for $54. Unlike the Roadmaster light kit which requires cutting and splicing wires, this kit does not.

Plus anchor plate kit for about $53.

Having read this post I decided to do it myself:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/base-...ed-432707.html

I am planning to rent a garage with a lift to make this project more manageable. Only $100 per day. Don't want to jack up the car on jack stands in the garage.

Wish me luck!
12amNSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 02:01 PM   #35

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12amNSX View Post
I purchased a 2010 Tiffin that has a Roadmaster Falcon 2 tow bar. It also came with the cross member and attachment points. I did not receive any parts that go with the car other than the Brakemaster actuation cylinder.

Here is a summary of what i purchased to complete the towing parts for the car:

2016 Ford Edge Sport, has grill shutters but no adaptive cruise.

Roadmaster base plate 524444-4. Found a new one on eBay for $339.

Brakemaster 2nd car kit with breakaway 98160. Found it new on eBay for $296.

Hopkins tail light wiring kit 56011. Found it at eTrailer for $54. Unlike the Roadmaster light kit which requires cutting and splicing wires, this kit does not.

Plus anchor plate kit for about $53.

Having read this post I decided to do it myself:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/base-...ed-432707.html

I am planning to rent a garage with a lift to make this project more manageable. Only $100 per day. Don't want to jack up the car on jack stands in the garage.

Wish me luck!
Good Luck!
I've done two base plate installs (Honda CRV and 2013 Edge) with no lift or jacks DW wouldn't let me do this one (bad knees) but I could have done a better job and saved a grand!

Just take your time and follow the instructions and a bigger drill bit works wonders

Chris
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:29 PM   #36

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
we just got back home form our 1st trip towing the edge.
other than seeing it in the camera...I never knew it was back there. blu ox patriot brake worked flawlessly
only problem was arrival at cg..the bar was bound up tight and we had to drive out of our spot to a straighter position and then it unhooked as described in the booklet.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 01:19 PM   #37

Thinking about using a 2014 Edge V6 AWD for a 2nd toad and have a couple of questions.

Why does this vehicle need the key in the accessory position while towing?... and also is the V6 vehicle with AWD towable 4 down?... I couldn't seem to find anything definitive that was specific to the AWD model.

Thanks in advance

Happy Trails
Old 10-21-2019, 09:49 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Go to www.fleet.ford.com and look for recreational towing guide or 4 down towing
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 05:35 AM   #39

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRoy View Post
Thinking about using a 2014 Edge V6 AWD for a 2nd toad and have a couple of questions.

Why does this vehicle need the key in the accessory position while towing?... and also is the V6 vehicle with AWD towable 4 down?... I couldn't seem to find anything definitive that was specific to the AWD model.

Thanks in advance

Happy Trails

I have a 2016 Ford Edge titanium awd that I tow. It is keyless ignition so I can’t answer the key question. I have to disconnect battery for towing which I do with a relay. My guess is that the key is needed to unlock steering column. BTW, I am getting ready to upgrade so my edge will be on the market soon. It has been a great tow vehicle. Easy to set up.

Tags
ford