Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2018, 05:46 PM   #15

I just towed my 2018 Edge SEL about 300 miles. It towed well without any wobble. I did disconnect the battery. I never did get the vehicle lights wired up and just used magnetic lights stuck on the liftgate. The only issue I had was that the check engine light came on until I drove the car and started and stopped it a few times. I'm sure that's the emissions system doing it's normal thing.
Carlos Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2018, 04:41 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We tow a Ford Focus. The reason to disconnect the battery is to make sure the battery voltage cannot backfeed into the transmission or other electronics when the rear lites are activated. I put a simple on/off battery switch on ours. Flip the switch one way battery is hooked up normally, the other only the tail lites and supplemental brake system get power,
Old 09-17-2018, 05:18 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
We have a 2011 edge fwd. No more snow for us. Cost 2k +/- to set for towing down. Love it. Did put a " toad charger " in to stop the dead battery. Ford could not fix.
Old 02-03-2019, 05:16 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvbdsl View Post
Most recommend disconnecting the battery if there is electric steering involved. It seems that the electric steering remains on all the time when it is connected to the battery and as such tries to correct when certain conditions arise.
Do some searches on the "death wobble". It seems (or seemed) to mainly predominant in the Jeep Cherokee line, but others have had problems. There are several discussions on this on different forums.

Why it doesn't happen all the time I don't know - maybe speed, road conditions etc. For my 2018 Edge I do disconnect the battery as recommended by Ford and have no wobble. My 2013 Edge did not require this and towed great.

Chris
Chris, I’m curious as to your solution to the lights issues on 2018 Ford Edge, I’m about to purchase one (I see so many being towed) I figured would be a good choice

Thanks
Zzotte
Old 02-11-2019, 04:18 PM   #19

I just bought a 2018 Ford Edge SEL with AWD, Auto Trans, 6.5l v6. I wish to know how to make it so a light lights up on the MH dash when toad brake is engaged. I need to take off neg cable to battery, so no power to the brake in the toad. Is there a way?

Also, I plan to use the Ready Brake and am wondering if towing an Edge makes for problems bottoming out on dips, etc. Yes, I have read of taking some length off the Ready Brake stinger and re-drilling the holes, and the same for the Demco tow hitch stinger. Any help is appreciated.
cactus bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:35 PM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
funny
we just put the wheels in motion on a 2012 edge limited with 53k miles on it

wife wants to stop using the trailer and use a smaller vehicle for towed duty

so the expedition will stay home during trips

now the fun begins to get the base plates ordered and installed.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 06:23 AM   #21

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus bum View Post
I just bought a 2018 Ford Edge SEL with AWD, Auto Trans, 6.5l v6. I wish to know how to make it so a light lights up on the MH dash when toad brake is engaged. I need to take off neg cable to battery, so no power to the brake in the toad. Is there a way?

Also, I plan to use the Ready Brake and am wondering if towing an Edge makes for problems bottoming out on dips, etc. Yes, I have read of taking some length off the Ready Brake stinger and re-drilling the holes, and the same for the Demco tow hitch stinger. Any help is appreciated.
I tow a 2018 Edge SEL with the Ready Brake with no issues - never heard of it bottoming out, new one to me. Have towed three different vehicles so far with and without drop down hitch as required to keep the tow bar level and never bottomed out. Current 2018 Edge with blue ox base plate does not need any drop down adapters with my current MH.

The original Ready Brake I had came with a light/wire to run to the dash and came on when the brake was applied. I let the light go with the MH when I sold it but kept the Ready Brake itself.
When I upgraded my toad to a 2013 Edge I decided to use the Patriot brake system instead(still use the Ready Brake tow bar). For my 2018 Edge I do the same. The wireless controller for the Patriot brake system lets me know the status of the brakes.
Since the battery is disconnected on my 2018 I use a portable battery (from Harbor Freight for around $60) that I put behind the drivers seat to plug the Patriot brake in.
I take the battery into the MH and charge it each evening - no problems with it every running totally down yet. If it does run down I will know because the wireless remote will lose communication with the brake system (tested by pulling the plug).

HTH

Chris
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:20 AM   #22

Thanks for your reply. Doesn't the Ready Brake light just show when the cable of the ready brake is tightened? I was talking about when people tap into the brake lite switch and THAT lights the light on the dash when the brake pedal is depressed. My car battery has its neg cable removed, so I cannot use the brake lite switch as towed. I was looking for a work-around to be able to use the brake lite switch even when the neg cable is off. It might be impossible, but I am just askin. Thanks
Old 02-12-2019, 08:26 AM   #23

Also, did something happen to make you NOT choose to use the Ready Brake?

Also, when I had a big truck and towed my tt, I had a very long extension on my hitch to avoid the lift gate, and it caused me to drag going into gas stations. That is what I was referring to as bottoming out when using the extended length of the Ready Brake added to the length of the flat tow .
Old 02-12-2019, 08:38 AM   #24

Forest River Owners Club
Just to clarify on the Ready Brake tow bar, the connection for the light is integrated into the tow bar with a simple plug. I ran the wire underneath and up through the firewall into the dash.
Power comes from the MH, I just "jumped" a fuse under the dash that had power when the ignition was on.

HTH

Chris
Old 02-12-2019, 09:15 AM   #25

I think I understand you were using a Ready Brute tow bar with Ready Brake incorporated into it, and the light we are talking about is on the Ready Brute tow bar and you no longer use the brake feature built into the Ready Brute, but instead use a Patriot brake system with the Ready Brute tow bar, correct?
IF I bought a Ready Brake and my neg cable was disconnected at battery, how would I make the brake switch connection to tell me the brakes are being applied? I am not dense, just confused. Thanks
Old 02-13-2019, 07:55 AM   #26

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus bum View Post
I think I understand you were using a Ready Brute tow bar with Ready Brake incorporated into it, and the light we are talking about is on the Ready Brute tow bar and you no longer use the brake feature built into the Ready Brute, but instead use a Patriot brake system with the Ready Brute tow bar, correct?
IF I bought a Ready Brake and my neg cable was disconnected at battery, how would I make the brake switch connection to tell me the brakes are being applied? I am not dense, just confused. Thanks
Sorry for not replying directly, was discussing this via PM with someone else.

So the ready brake light only tells you the lever on the tow bar is being pulled which equates to brakes being applied and the power for this light is from the MH. You do not get any other indication brakes are on.

As far as I know, without some creative engineering, the Ready Brake will not give you what I think you are looking for (actual brake pedal moving?).

One reason I stopped using the Ready Brake feature was the cost of a new cable and break-away and each time I changed vehicles (sold separately for $120). The break away was custom cut to fit on my CRV. I know, only minor but now in a pinch I can tow just about any vehicle (fit for 4 down towing) with the Patriot system, though without a break away.

Patriot included the break-away and I didn't have to cut the cable and if I do need another it's only $88 or I can take out the one I have now.

HTH

Chris
Old 02-13-2019, 08:48 AM   #27

Thank you Chris. I get it now. It is not likely we will be changing toads for some time, so I will probably go with the Ready Brake. Michael
Old 02-14-2019, 10:11 AM   #28

I wonder if the odometer continues to log miles when neg battery cable is off while flat towing a 2018 Ford Edge. Strangely, two different service mgrs at two Ford dealers today gave me conflicting answers. One says yes, one says no. Anyone with real world experience wish to give the real world answer? The service mgr who said the miles would continue to log said that because he assumed Ford Inc. would not allow those miles to NOT count towards the 36/36 warranty. Thanks, Michael

Tags
ford