Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2013, 11:50 AM   #1

About to spend money, this a good setup??

Folks,
Background. MH is an American Revolution. Spartan Chassis, 400HP C9 with Allison 3000 and a 15,000 LB towing capacity.

TOAD-to-be is a 2002 Ford Excursion Diesel, 7.3 4WD.

Here is my plan, is it a good one? I am handy and resourceful and intend to install everything myself.

Blue-Ox 10,000lb tow bar setup and receiver plates. Aventa LX is the unit I am considering.

Air Force One braking setup. I like the install and forget all hidden aspect of this, plus safety and proportional braking.

Remco Driveline disconnect. I understand this may be the controversial item as some find this setup finnicky. I don't mind a few quirks and know of nothing else that would allow me to flat tow my excursion besides dropping the driveline.

Brake light integration. No idea here, havent researched solutions yet, but would like an integrated plug and drive solution.

Thoughts??

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2013, 05:42 PM   #2

I put the exact package on my Revolution and CV-V. I found the tow bar on Craig's List brand new. I purchased a diode block kit for the tail lights and turn signals and wired it in myself. The brake lights are taken care of by the AF1. The AF1 came with a break-away switch. I love the ease of hook-up, just a air hose, light cable, safety cables and break-away cable.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:53 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds like a good plan to me and if you feel confident on doing the installation, go for it. Mine wasn't as complicated but I worked my way thru it. Good Luck
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:20 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by akeyzoo View Post
Folks,
Background. MH is an American Revolution. Spartan Chassis, 400HP C9 with Allison 3000 and a 15,000 LB towing capacity.

TOAD-to-be is a 2002 Ford Excursion Diesel, 7.3 4WD.

Here is my plan, is it a good one? I am handy and resourceful and intend to install everything myself.
Remco Driveline disconnect. I understand this may be the controversial item as some find this setup finnicky. I don't mind a few quirks and know of nothing else that would allow me to flat tow my excursion besides dropping the driveline.

Brake light integration. No idea here, havent researched solutions yet, but would like an integrated plug and drive solution.

Thoughts??
Chris
If you have a transfer case lever why the drive line Remco Driveline Disconnect? wouldn't placing the transfercase in neutral do the same thing?

And on the brake lights, couldn't you run some wires from your RV trailer plug to the brake light bulbs to a connecter under the front bumper of the Ford then you would just need to make a short harness to got form plug to plug.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:13 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I do not know about the Excursion, but most 4 WD Jeeps are towed in Park once the transfer case is placed in Neutral. The Excursion may be FT AWD???
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
If you have a transfer case lever why the drive line Remco Driveline Disconnect? wouldn't placing the transfercase in neutral do the same thing?

And on the brake lights, couldn't you run some wires from your RV trailer plug to the brake light bulbs to a connecter under the front bumper of the Ford then you would just need to make a short harness to got form plug to plug.

Mekanic,
No way to put my transfercase reliably in nuetral. No lever, just switches. This system on my rig is not flat towable safe without disconnecting the driveline.

Waroland,
Where did you "tie into" the wiring for the turn signals. I forgot that I can ignore the brakes as the AFO is pressing the pedal ;-)

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:24 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
I have been using the drive shaft disconnect for 3 years and it is absolute JUNK!. After the first year, it has failed on every trip where parts have to be ordered and and sent next day air to continue on. Last month, the yoke bear froze up and I had to disconnect the drive shaft to get home. That was the LAST trip for the disconnect. The parts costs are ridiculous!, $54+$16 shipping for a small bearing We are shopping for a new toad now. Almost every moving part on my disconnect has fail, and some twice. The disconnect has ruined the last trip for me. Good luck if you decide to go that way...I wish I would have listened to others.
If you go that way, buy parts & brake cleaner and silicone spray by the case when it's on sale. You will have to use it every time you engage and disengage the disconnect.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:36 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by akeyzoo View Post
Mekanic,
No way to put my transfercase reliably in nuetral. No lever, just switches. This system on my rig is not flat towable safe without disconnecting the driveline.

Waroland,
Where did you "tie into" the wiring for the turn signals. I forgot that I can ignore the brakes as the AFO is pressing the pedal ;-)

Chris
I pitch that electric shift system in favor of the OEM lever style shifter.
(probably cheaper than that fancy disconnect, and MUCH more reliable )

You said it best, switches=Not reliable.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote